ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

Will Alonso Ever Win Another World Championship?

Talk about the Teams & Drivers

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

Will Alonso Ever Win Another World Championship?

Postby Lawrence on Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:18 pm

At the end of the 2007 season with McLaren, I believe I opined on this board that Alonso may never win another championship ("may never" does give me some wiggle room). So far, this does seem to be holding, even though he has been driving brilliantly these last five years. Still, It has been five years. The car has not been the best this year and my suspicion that this will be the story year-in and year-out with Ferrari. This does seem to be the case for the next few years unless something fundamentally changes at Maranello. With 26+ wins and another 5+ years in F1...are we looking at Fernando retiring with only two World Champions to his credit? It is beginning to look that way, unless Ferrari comes up with a surprise or he goes elsewhere (and it is hard to imagine where that would be).
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Re: Will Alonso Ever Win Another World Championship?

Postby Gerhard Berger on Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:44 am

Well, we still have to wait and see how this years championship ends. Next year, i think the pecking order will stay similar with Red Bull out front, followed by Mclaren, Ferrari and Lotus. 2014 onwards, there are big regulation changes with the engine once again becoming a significant factor which should help Ferrari.
Gerhard Berger

Postby Lawrence on Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:41 pm

Well, I may have a warped view of this year's championship (as I didn't watch it all)...but it was sort of my impression that we were just sitting around waiting for Red Bull to get its act together so that they could finally grind everyone into the ground. I'm not rating Alonso's chances very high. Hard to win it with the 3rd best car out there.
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby raymondu999 on Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:19 pm

There is no doubt he has the talent for another. But you have to sort of ask, based on the last five years - will the stars ever line up for him again?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法
raymondu999

Postby Lawrence on Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:31 pm

More to the point....will he ever make the stars line up?
Lawrence

Postby f1datavis on Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:48 am

If Alonso wants another championship, he needs Vettel's drive or Ferrari need to nick Newey.

I still think that Newey has secretly already signed for Mercedes for late 2013 to design their 2014 car. Maybe. Possibly. Or not... :sun:
f1datavis

Postby raymondu999 on Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:23 pm

The Three Kings, plus one? :rotflmao:

Or is Ross Brawn building a retirement home? :eh:
失败者找理由,成功者找方法
raymondu999

Postby Mafia on Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:18 pm

Well, Championships can not be won by lining up stars, thats for sure. I think, With alonso, he has done more then a driver can do to win a championship, another one, i think its the car, well When was the last time you saw someone winning the championship with not the fastest car? i think we can say 2003 was the year where we saw michael won championship in the car that was ... well fast but not considerably faster then the rest.

To be honest. I am glad alonso or hamilton are not driving the fastest car on the grid. otherwise we'd be bore to see either of them winning like everything.

One more thing, Most people say that alonso is not the fastest driver.. well.. tell me something, even if you put a driver name ayrton-lewischumakkinen in the ferrari(s) that alonso has been driving, and score that many podiums/points/wins that he did with the car in three years... I will believe that he is not fast.
Tough Luck!
Mafia

Postby raymondu999 on Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:27 am

Maf I think you misunderstood us. What I meant by having the stars line up for you is - it takes more than a driver to win a title. Team, strategies, pitstops, car, weather - all must fall into place as well.

A championship CANNOT be won without the stars lining up for you.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法
raymondu999

Postby Mafia on Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:00 am

:beer:

That was my usual sarcastic start of the post dear F1technical999....... errrr I mean Raymondu999 :). Its the way i normally start my posts so... yayyy

TBH i think Ferrari needs to keep pushing on with this car to have a good foundation for 2013. It feels like they got the concept right, a little attention to detail will turn this car into ... ummmm a car :hit: , worthy of winning some races next year.... Back in 2004 we thought ferrari has a strong base for next year car and all of a suddon renault out classed them by producing a car that was... well the point is. there is no gaurentee that next year redbull will be on top again and ferrari wont. i am worried about Merc and Lotus... may be the traditional Ferrari vs Mclaren vs Williams fight will be back, which i rather prefer then any other sort of competition.
Tough Luck!
Mafia

Postby raymondu999 on Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:05 am

I'm actually sure that the fundamentals of the F2012 is sound. Otherwise it wouldn't have had the stonking race pace, or wet pace it has had all year (except for a few rarities)
失败者找理由,成功者找方法
raymondu999

Postby f1datavis on Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:07 pm

raymondu999 wrote:I'm actually sure that the fundamentals of the F2012 is sound. Otherwise it wouldn't have had the stonking race pace, or wet pace it has had all year (except for a few rarities)

I dunno, there was something seriously wrong with the F2012 rear suspension at the start of the year... it literally ATE tyres and was dog slow. Not a good combination.

I figure rear suspension layout to be pretty "fundamental". Took them until after the flyaways were over to properly fix.
f1datavis

Postby Funkmother on Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:56 pm

Fernando obviously still has the skill and commitment. For that reason, I don't think you can rule out him winning another championship. I also agree it could still happen this year. Its just a matter of having all the required pieces falling into place.
The metaphorical inuendo flows like chalk.
Funkmother

Postby raymondu999 on Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:23 am

f1datavis wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:I'm actually sure that the fundamentals of the F2012 is sound. Otherwise it wouldn't have had the stonking race pace, or wet pace it has had all year (except for a few rarities)

I dunno, there was something seriously wrong with the F2012 rear suspension at the start of the year... it literally ATE tyres and was dog slow. Not a good combination.

I figure rear suspension layout to be pretty "fundamental". Took them until after the flyaways were over to properly fix.

I actually never heard of the suspension being an issue. To memory it was always the car being overly sensitive to pitch that was the issue.

My point is that, in a similar vein to the MP4-24, IMO the car is fundamentally good, but lacking in refinement and team understanding, especially at the start of the year. The MP4-24 was never fundamentally changed either, but McLaren just added loads of downforce through upgrades, and altered their weight distribution philosophy, and it was a racewinning car again.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法
raymondu999

Postby _FoCuS_ on Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:09 am

that's a very interesting prediction I even didn't do
If you want to look thinner, hang around people fatter than you.
_FoCuS_

Next

Return to Formula One Talk