ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

Will Alonso Ever Win Another World Championship?

Talk about the Teams & Drivers

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

Re: Will Alonso Ever Win Another World Championship?

Postby Lawrence on Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:32 pm

Well, now Vettel is going to Ferrari, maybe I should start a "Will Vettel Ever Win Another World Championship" thread.

Anyhow, I think Alonso has a chance to win another championship or two 1) if the Honda engine is up to snuff (the track record on that hasn't always been the best) and 2) if Alonso can hold it together. Has he matured since 2007? I hope so.

The one thing that does impress me is how consistently well he has driven race after race since 2007. I think he was a better driver after the McLaren disaster then before it. Nothing like a massive reality check (a rookie was as fast as he was) to help shape him up.
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Willie Caja on Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:25 am

It seems a Mercedes drive is not fully discarded...
"Okay Fernando, we are racing Massa behind to the end."
"I love your sense of humour!"
Willie Caja

Postby Mach on Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:35 am

Lawrence wrote:Well, now Vettel is going to Ferrari, maybe I should start a "Will Vettel Ever Win Another World Championship" thread.

Anyhow, I think Alonso has a chance to win another championship or two 1) if the Honda engine is up to snuff (the track record on that hasn't always been the best) and 2) if Alonso can hold it together. Has he matured since 2007? I hope so.

The one thing that does impress me is how consistently well he has driven race after race since 2007. I think he was a better driver after the McLaren disaster then before it. Nothing like a massive reality check (a rookie was as fast as he was) to help shape him up.

LH was no ordinary rookie

:clint:
"We exercised our veto in compliance with our legitimate commercial right to do business as a powertrain manufacturer" Maurizio Arrivabene
Mach

Postby Mach on Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:48 am

Willie Caja wrote:It seems a Mercedes drive is not fully discarded...

Will Merc need to pay a premium for FA?

I thought FA looked happy during post qualy interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NwL1KmzQ20

"We exercised our veto in compliance with our legitimate commercial right to do business as a powertrain manufacturer" Maurizio Arrivabene
Mach

Postby Willie Caja on Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:49 pm

Mach wrote:Will Merc need to pay a premium for FA?

I've really no idea.
Spanish media is reporting that, even though Mercedes (or Lauda) is denying it, things are not like they seem, and there's a chance Alonso could be in Mercedes along Rosberg in 2015.
FA looks very confident ideed. Let's see what happens, but Merc or McLaren are a possibility, I believe.
I don't think he'll take a sabbatical. He's driving really well right now. Nobody knows how long he'll be this competitive. I think a sabbatical could mean the end for him.
"Okay Fernando, we are racing Massa behind to the end."
"I love your sense of humour!"
Willie Caja

Postby Lawrence on Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:36 pm

Mach wrote:LH was no ordinary rookie

As proven. But yea, I don't think Alonso was ready for that in 2007, having never been bested by a teammmate.
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Lyria on Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:50 pm

Willie Caja wrote:

I've really no idea.
Spanish media is reporting that, even though Mercedes (or Lauda) is denying it, things are not like they seem, and there's a chance Alonso could be in Mercedes along Rosberg in 2015.
FA looks very confident ideed. Let's see what happens, but Merc or McLaren are a possibility, I believe.
I don't think he'll take a sabbatical. He's driving really well right now. Nobody knows how long he'll be this competitive. I think a sabbatical could mean the end for him.

I think Alonso is playing a waiting game and he's probably got something up his sleeve too. He could easily end up at Mercedes in 2015, after all they've stalled on contract negotiations with Hamilton whilst Rosberg is already signed up, if they truly want Hamilton, why aren't they making sure they keep him?

Until we get a firm announcement on this I think Alonso could easily end up at McLaren, or Mercedes in 2015. It's just a case of sorting out the final bits and pieces of the agreement I reckon.
Lyria

Postby Sakae on Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:33 pm

Alonso (little less Vettel) might end up with Mercedes in 2015, because Hamilton might quit; looks like they are not sure, and Alonso is probably waiting in what mood Hamilton will be in November, and whether a seat will be vacated. Should Rosberg win WDC, all bets are off.
Toto said after one bad weekend, that they stop negotiations (with Hamilton) because they do not have time to deal with contracts now, so they will leave it for December. By coincidence Alonso wants to make his announcement what he wants to do also after season. It could mean something, or absolutely nothing, and we will have to wait. If Hamilton quits, Alonso might be prime candidate to replace him, otherwise its back to McLaren, or re-signing with Ferrari. He can win of course in either team.
Whatever you do, don’t just do it. Push it forward! [Whitelines]
Sakae

Postby Mach on Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:22 pm

Lawrence wrote:
Mach wrote:LH was no ordinary rookie

As proven. But yea, I don't think Alonso was ready for that in 2007, having never been bested by a teammmate.

Agreed :tophat:

I sometimes wonder what "great expectations" Ron Dennis gave Alonso

Mach

Postby Mach on Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:23 pm

Willie Caja wrote:

I've really no idea.

I hope he stays. The more talented drivers on the grid the better

Mach

Postby Mach on Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:32 pm

Lyria wrote:
Willie Caja wrote:

I've really no idea.

I think Alonso is playing a waiting game and he's probably got something up his sleeve too. He could easily end up at Mercedes in 2015, after all they've stalled on contract negotiations with Hamilton whilst Rosberg is already signed up, if they truly want Hamilton, why aren't they making sure they keep him?

Until we get a firm announcement on this I think Alonso could easily end up at McLaren, or Mercedes in 2015. It's just a case of sorting out the final bits and pieces of the agreement I reckon.

I hope Alonso goes to McLaren. I'm tired of seeing Merc dominate. Hopefully next year we'll see Merc, McLaren and RBR fight it out with Alonso, Hamy and Ricciardo.....dare I say Kimi too :D

Mach

Postby Lawrence on Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:22 pm

Love this stuff: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/116899

Nothing like leaving Ferrari on a positive note.

Anyhow, Alonso drove his heart out over the last five years. The problem was the car. As it was he outqualified his world championship driver teammate all but three times this year.

Will be very interested to see how he starts with McLaren. It will be his last chance for another drivers championship.
Lawrence

Postby Sakae on Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:55 pm

Alonso can put spin on his relationship with Ferrari any way he wants, but fact remains, that he has not inspired people around him, nor he generated brainpower influx as Schumacher has, thus despite him allowing media finger-pointing at Ferrari, I think implications are, that he was a part of the problem as well. They should have let him go two to three years ago, methinks.
Sakae

Postby Gerhard Berger on Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:03 pm

Sakae wrote:Alonso can put spin on his relationship with Ferrari any way he wants, but fact remains, that he has not inspired people around him, nor he generated brainpower influx as Schumacher has, thus despite him allowing media finger-pointing at Ferrari, I think implications are, that he was a part of the problem as well. They should have let him go two to three years ago, methinks.

You can't say whether he has inspired the people around him, so that isn't a fact. Just your opinion.

As for generating a brainpower influx - he is not a hiring manager and nor will he ever be one. Many papers reported that he recommended that Ferrari sign Bell/Simmonds etc. but Domenicali ignored him.

I'm not sure how you think he was part of the problem - he was a top performer in the Ferrari organisation for the last 5 years. The problem was quite clearly on the technical side, as demonstrated by years of producing dud cars.

You're a Vettel fan, and in the next few years you will find out the hard way that a single driver can not turn around the fortunes of an entire team.
Gerhard Berger

Postby Sakae on Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:17 pm

Gerhard Berger wrote:
Sakae wrote:Alonso can put spin on his relationship with Ferrari any way he wants, but fact remains, that he has not inspired people around him, nor he generated brainpower influx as Schumacher has, thus despite him allowing media finger-pointing at Ferrari, I think implications are, that he was a part of the problem as well. They should have let him go two to three years ago, methinks.

You can't say whether he has inspired the people around him, so that isn't a fact. Just your opinion.

As for generating a brainpower influx - he is not a hiring manager and nor will he ever be one. Many papers reported that he recommended that Ferrari sign Bell/Simmonds etc. but Domenicali ignored him.

I'm not sure how you think he was part of the problem - he was a top performer in the Ferrari organisation for the last 5 years. The problem was quite clearly on the technical side, as demonstrated by years of producing dud cars.

You're a Vettel fan, and in the next few years you will find out the hard way that a single driver can not turn around the fortunes of an entire team.

Results on the track, and heavy air in their relationships aren't on your side of the argument; opinion or not, these are plain facts for all to see. You are excusing the same old and failed thinking, which actually got in part Ferrari into this predicament, and yes, that's my opinion. SM realized that, and this is why some people aren't working there anymore.
Sakae

PreviousNext

Return to Formula One Talk