ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

The Ferrari Re-build

Talk about the Teams & Drivers

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

The Ferrari Re-build

Postby Lawrence on Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:44 pm

It is clear that Ferrari needs to re-boot, get new people in, etc. They have already started clearing house and have in place what appears to be place-holder manager. They do have two of the better drivers on the grid (even if Kimi is struggling right now). But, they have yet to actually start the rebuilding process.

But. the Briatore comments on the front page got my attention:http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns28231.html

Flavio's comments were:

"In my opinion, Ferrari must have a base in the UK, where all of the technology of formula one is concentrated," he said.

"At Maranello it is difficult to create an effective team and to recruit these British engineers."

Briatore said after the Canadian grand prix: "Ferrari this year is in deep crisis and has lost the chance to recover.

"Ferrari is paying for its location -- Maranello is definitely not the centre of the (F1) world, it's England," he told Italian radio Mix24.

"I think that for Ferrari, it will take a major restructuring of the team," he explained.

"Wrong men? No, it's a matter of organisation," Briatore continued. "We know exactly who are the best ones, and it is difficult to get them to Italy."

Now, I always considered Briatore one of the better managers in F1 (had to be...as he knew nothing about cars and had a limited budget). So always interested in what he says. Of course, this discussion is also related the U.S. team, which is going to be based over here.

On the other hand, part of Ferrari's crisis is that it simply does not have the best engine. Mercedes got the jump on Renault and Ferrari, and once the engines are "re-homologized", I suspect it is going to be a lot closer (for 2015).
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Re: The Ferrari Re-build

Postby Sakae on Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:01 pm

Alternative solution to scrapping the team is allowing more for on track testing and longer development time (of everything). Engineering designs aren't always state of art right out of the box, and I find this year restrictions on development of racing cars just idiotic (forgive my language, please).
Whatever you do, don’t just do it. Push it forward! [Whitelines]
Sakae

Postby Sakae on Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:08 am

Ferrari was successful before in Maranello during Schumacher era. I would recommend to Briatore getting permission to watch the team without restrictions from inside for three months with his mouth shut first, before letting rest of us know what he thinks. Maybe this would add some credibility to his assessment. (Post was relocated).
Sakae

Postby Balue on Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:25 pm

Lawrence wrote:They have already started clearing house and have in place what appears to be place-holder manager.

Agree and I guess it's all about getting Ross Brawn back who now with the Mercedes dominance has extremely good credibility as one of the all time best team principles. He is just the type of guy who would ignore Italian media noise and demand for immediate results but just drop a season if it doesn't look good and put all on the next one as that's seemingly how it was done at Mercedes.

With Allison there who is already considered a great and credited with a lot of what Lotus was able to achieve, things could look good indeed. Allison says that Ferrari's Achilles' heel is its unwillingness to take risks with bold designs and new innovations with no fallback solutions, and it makes sense.

Unlike Briatore I don't doubt Italians are not as innovative as British, all it needs might be a strategic change like mentioned above and somebody with the thick skin and balls to force it through with a long term plan, and outsiders Allison and hopefully Brawn might be just the ticket.

I see good things for Ferrari and hopefully with faithful Alonso still there to reap his due rewards.
Balue

Postby Sakae on Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:37 am

Team Principal at Ferrari during Schumacher's era was one diminutive Frenchman with big heart, Jean Todt, who led Ferrari group, and not RB. Ross, and I actually like the man, was good in track operations, also fortunate to join a group of people, who were not only smart guys, but also did work well together, without personal egos getting into way. With Alonso, Allison and couple of others I don't think they have it now.
Sakae

Postby Balue on Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:25 pm

Ross Brawn was obviously TP for his own team and won both championships, something he will in reality do this year too although Wolff and Lowe will take the official credit for it.

Brawn said when he left Mercedes (in reality forced out) that he would take a break until summer and then decide what to do next, but what was interesting was that as soon as testing got underway and showed Mercedes' clear dominance this year, Brawn suddenly changed the story to that he was definitely retiring from F1, which seems to me either sour grapes that he could not reap the rewards of his work at Mercedes, or that he realizes Mercedes' dominance will be such that even if he were to join Ferrari it might be too much and too long of a push for him to do anything about it there. If it's the first he might still be motivated to beat Mercedes and come out of retirement, let's see.
Balue

Postby Sakae on Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:05 am

Ross with Honda's money has taken over (as opposed to starting from scratch) an advanced facility, and with DD hit jackpot in one year only. That's it. Like Michael Schumacher who will not receive any credit for driving cucumbers for three years, both fellows, and I would add Norbert Haug to that, went through painful period of resources contractions, whilst opposition in all likelihood was lying and spending like crazy, and to add insult to the injury, current bunch is now harvesting fruits of their sweat without remorse. That's life with its all good, bad and ugly in the mix. I think Ross would make a one fine F1 commissioner. He doesn't like BE, so I think he has a lot going for him.
Sakae

Postby Balue on Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:49 pm

I always thought Mattiacci looked confrontational and maybe he is and that's why deMontezemolo put him in there, and now he's apparantly had a go at Pat Fry who then offered to fall on his sword.
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns28314.html

Apparently Allison is heading up the 2015 project, and since he complained of there not being room and fallback plans for bold engineering at Ferrari, maybe Fry is really the stop that needs to be pulled out now?
Balue

Postby Willie Caja on Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:58 pm

Balue wrote:Apparently Allison is heading up the 2015 project, and since he complained of there not being room and fallback plans for bold engineering at Ferrari, maybe Fry is really the stop that needs to be pulled out now?

That I'd really want to know...
"Okay Fernando, we are racing Massa behind to the end."
"I love your sense of humour!"
Willie Caja

Postby Balue on Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:41 pm

Ferrari eyeing F1 turbo supplier switch : http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns28336.html
According to Italian media, the current turbocharger design, supplied to Ferrari by the American company Honeywell, has been identified as a main culprit.

Raikkonen not only protested loudly in the last race at Red Bull ring about lack of power, but said there are also problems with traction and the mechanical grip, affecting his need to have a good front end: "I hate it when there is no front end on the car".

Alonso's style I believe has anyway always been to have a slightly understeery car so no wonder he is doing much better at the moment.
Balue

Postby Sakae on Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:45 am

How many times since JT it was "next year"? Everything is possible, but...

Why cut on on-track testing, be it in pre-season, or during, instead mentally quitting three months into a season? What was really achieved by freezing development of engines in the first year, and after a such significant change in technology? Is it worth it to make two guys happy and rest to sit this one out? Who needs then 22 cars?
Sakae

Postby Sakae on Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:14 am

Mika on Ferrari (and Vettel) |

...Ferrari appears likely to shed at least one of its existing drivers at the end of the 2014 season predicts retired double world champion Mika Hakkinen, who thinks the Maranello team is grappling not only with a less than fully competitive 2014 car.

The Finn thinks Ferrari also has a driver problem, “In my opinion Ferrari is more and more into the situation of eventually replacing one of the two drivers.”

“The comments being made by Fernando Alonso do not sound like someone who will be with Ferrari for much longer. And I don’t want to say anything against Kimi Raikkonen, except that he is constantly behind his teammate,” 45-year-old Hakkinen added.

The former McLaren driver also commented on the 2014 plight of Formula 1′s reigning quadruple world champion Sebastian Vettel, “I do not understand how it is possible that his (Red Bull) car is permanently broken. Incredible.” (GMM)

http://www.grandprix247.com/2014/06/30/ ... t-ferrari/

Mika is, and always was on my "good guy" side of things, and here once again, I must, at least in part, agree with him, that Ferrari has issues exceeding those which are machinery related. I am not the one qualified to give them any advises, but HR related issues is self-inflicted pain, and it has nothing to do with regulations. Based on stats alone, Kimi has a problem with a car which was (must have) built around Alonso, but problem I think is not him, but his team-mate. Kimi was OK at Lotus, where he was treated with some degree of respect. Mattiaci has a challenge on his hands, and it will be interesting to see how he will resolve it; letting Kimi go is IMO only a cosmetic solution, and on long run ineffective. Vettel would be well advised not to jump ship in that direction, not yet, and not whilst the team is catering to Alonso's whims. Vettel will deal with his current teammate sooner or later, and as much I want him to drive with one of heavily promoted drivers, he has to be however careful not to fall into a trap, and end up playing a second fiddle according to pre-planned team's strategy. Potential opening at Mercedes in 2015 would be the only worthwhile seat, regardless if Hamilton stays or goes. Mercedes would play fair.
Sakae

Postby Balue on Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:08 pm

It was predicted by many that Raikkonen would be the one to struggle the most with the new reg car as he is very particular and need a car to be perfect to his particular style or it's not good. Remember the power steering issues last time?

At Lotus he was the main man and got all resources to help him get the car working, but at Ferrari it's obviously the opposite. Add to that Raikkonen's somewhat curt attitude and it won't change in a hurry even though Allison was with Raikkonen at Lotus.

I guess Hakkinen's comments mean the 2 driver's styles and preferences are too varied for there to be max car development. Judging from Toto Wolff's comments Alonso is an ideal Mercedes driver so it might be that he anyway leaves for there in 2016 or even 2015 like you say.
Balue

Postby Sakae on Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:17 pm

Alonso also said, and on more occasions than just once, that Ferrari is his last team, and when time comes, then he will retire. Let him now prove it.
Sakae

Postby Sakae on Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:42 pm

Headlines just rolling in. Kimi - I will retire from F1 when my contract ends, Brawn was seen in May at Maranello on visit, and suddenly he is supposedly getting offer of EUR 5 Mill/season to come back (in not defined position), and that's only beginning and summer break even started yet. That's F1 for you, a place where there is no shortage of brainstorming. Results however are something else.
Sakae

Next

Return to Formula One Talk