ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

FIA Accident Report - Japanese Grand Prix

Talk about the Teams & Drivers

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

Re: FIA Accident Report - Japanese Grand Prix

Postby Sakae on Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:04 am

The family of Jules Bianchi has released a statement, confirming the tragic passing of the 25-year-old.
RIP, Jules.
Whatever you do, don’t just do it. Push it forward! [Whitelines]
Sakae

Postby IanK on Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:07 am

Such a shame. The results he was able to get in that Marussia showed that he was already something special. If he got a chance in a top team he would have been legendary.
f1datavis wrote:Alonso looking god-like right now.
IanK

Postby Lyria on Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:40 am

It is very sad for the Bianchi family that he's tragically died. In some ways I think it's probably the kindest thing for Jules though. After nine months in a coma with the kind of head injuries he'd sustained you have to think he'd never have had a 'normal' life again.

A terrible accident and a terrible outcome. The darkest side of racing but a risk they all know they're taking when they get into those cars.
Lyria

Postby Bourbon on Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:56 pm

Very sad news. I'm glad we got to watch him race; he was an exciting upcoming talent. Peace to him and his family.
Bourbon

Postby Lawrence on Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:01 pm

Poor guy. Feel very bad for his family.
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Mach on Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:13 pm

Just awful news.
:clint:
"We exercised our veto in compliance with our legitimate commercial right to do business as a powertrain manufacturer" Maurizio Arrivabene
Mach

Postby Sakae on Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:27 pm

Strange thing is, that about two weeks ago (or thereabout) farther was quoted that family thought it would be better if Jules has said good bye, rather than to see him in state he was. They lost all hopes. Its none of my business to speculate, but nonetheless I wonder if doctors were actually asked to take him off the life support. In any way, he might be better off now, and family will have some sort of closure and get on with their lives, sad as it is.
Sakae

Postby Sakae on Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:59 pm

The same year, the same spot, similar picture.

FiA is doing a really job...

https://youtu.be/zlDaAd-4F5c
Sakae

Postby Lyria on Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:10 pm

It was really sad seeing the pictures on the tv from Jules Bianchi's funeral this morning. What was nice was seeing so many drivers and F1 personnel there to pay their respects. It's clear how highly they all regarded him. It's also been reported that Sebastian Vettel was one of the people who carried his coffin out of the cathedral after the service, I haven't seen a picture of that but if it's true then I think that was a lovely gesture.

I just hope we all go a very long time before we ever see anything like this again. I know it's likely that one day we will, just as those who were around then watched with horror the death of Senna and of the poor marshals that were in the wrong place at the wrong time and died because of motorsport. It's always going to be dangerous, the safety changes that have been made are tremendous and these events are mercifully few and far between, but they still happen. It certainly brings home to you what they all risk when they show up for our enjoyment weekend after weekend.
Lyria

Postby Lyria on Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:32 pm

Jean-Eric Vergne tweeted this, the link is to a picture that shows some of the drivers, including Adrian Sutil, carried the coffin out of the cathedral.

Jean-Eric Vergne wrote:Jean-Eric Vergne ‏@JeanEricVergne 32 minutes ago

The world of Motorsport gave the most incredible tribute to a champion, so proud to be part of this… https://instagram.com/p/5ZwHhbSzOo/

Other drivers who helped to carry him include, Sebastian Vettel, Roman Grosjean and Felipe Massa from what I have seen. A fitting and moving tribute.
Lyria

Postby Lawrence on Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:49 am

"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Sakae on Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:39 am

Why we have to have "new" data, had been the initial investigation of the accident thorough, comprehensive and credible?

New crash data from Jules Bianchi's accident at the Japanese Grand Prix...

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/new-bianchi-crash-data-revealed

Just like the Alonso's pre-season crash, just as everything else with this organization.
Sakae

Postby f1datavis on Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:53 pm

Agreed.

However, if the data are accurate, I don't believe this was a realistically survivable accident.

Very very sad. What is angering is Brundle's commentary wishing, angrily, in live commentary, the marshals to not put that bloody tractor on the track on that corner in those conditions, and then the accident happened. This was foreseeable (and foreseen! live!), and therefore avoidable.

No SC, VSC or red flag; no tractor; ever.

And we still don't have a full course caution in F1. Why? What is so different about F1?
f1datavis

Postby Sakae on Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:51 pm

All reasons why I have been advocating opening of the investigation, and on basis of remedial steps assess, how the issues were addressed, and hold some people responsible for once. I do suspect they would find it was addressed in very dismissive manner.

I am not blood thirsty, but what we see makes me really mad, because as many good cases arise due to nature of the beast, but there are other situations, when parents (FiA) must, and can, control kids on the track. People are around F1 for very long time, and it doesn't takes a rocket scientist to accumulate very comprehensive list of incidents with understanding circumstances, and review regulations whether a safety net is adequate.

On subject of the second incident - the same location, similar circumstances, raining and wet track in effect. FiA sanctions also the race that followed F1 (I think about two weeks later after JB, if I am not mistaken), and again, we saw the same scenario replayed. No slow down, no safety car, and a similar recovery vehicle placed on the racing grounds. It is beyond my comprehension how anyone at FiA can boast about safety with this reactive, rather than proactive, attitude. They are fiddling with tracks, making runoffs bigger and bigger, but no one thought of holding a tractor back for a minute or two?
Sakae

Postby IanK on Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:56 am

f1datavis wrote:if the data are accurate, I don't believe this was a realistically survivable accident.

It definitely looks that way given what's come out recently. The numbers I've seen are almost incomprehensible in terms of sheer force. So far there's only ever been one recorded instance of someone surviving an impact over 200g (Kenny Brack's 2003 crash at Texas was "only" 214g and literally everything but the tub disintegrated in about a quarter of a second) and Bianchi's crash is being reported at 254g. On top of that the impact was focused primarily on his head. I hate to sound blunt but given the numbers and the fact that the top of his car was completely sheared off by the crash in hindsight I'm kind of amazed that he was still alive when he was extracted. In terms of safety developments in car design/components there probably isn't much if anything that could have been done to change the end result.
f1datavis wrote:Alonso looking god-like right now.
IanK

PreviousNext

Return to Formula One Talk