ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

McLaren Honda team in 2015

Talk about the Teams & Drivers

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

Re: McLaren Honda team in 2015

Postby Mach on Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:31 pm

Bottas should choose Mclaren/Honda over Ferrari. Better short term technology and will become #1 driver long term after Alonso retires. I expect Mclaren/Honda to solve all their issues by seasons end.
:clint:
"We exercised our veto in compliance with our legitimate commercial right to do business as a powertrain manufacturer" Maurizio Arrivabene
Mach

Postby Lyria on Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:45 am

Mach wrote:Bottas should choose Mclaren/Honda over Ferrari. Better short term technology and will become #1 driver long term after Alonso retires. I expect Mclaren/Honda to solve all their issues by seasons end.

That's an optimistic view, I mean you could be right, but McLaren/Honda seem to have an awful lot of issues to overcome. I'm not sure they can solve all of them that fast.
Lyria

Postby Mach on Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:41 pm

Ferrari do as well as they've spent tokens and still can't match Mercedes who haven't spent tokens yet.
I beginning to think Mercedes/Honda have more upside with similar technology to Mercedes. Ferrari look dead-in-the-water relying on Mercedes pit wall errors to win races.
McLaren/Honda did around 200 laps with Austrian in-season testing. Surely, some of the bugs have been ironed out.

Looking forward to Silverstone to see if McLaren/Honda can start to mount a challenge against Mercedes at maybe be the measure of them by the Japanese GP
"We exercised our veto in compliance with our legitimate commercial right to do business as a powertrain manufacturer" Maurizio Arrivabene
Mach

Postby Sakae on Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:05 am

Who said that Brits don't have sense of humor?

Today in the news:
DENNIS: THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST MCLAREN TEAMS WE HAVE EVER HAD

JORDAN: WHITMARSH NEVER RAN MCLAREN AS BADLY AS DENNIS IS NOW

First Ecclestone, and now Dennis? Eddie might have his pitpass revoked one of these days... :rotflmao:
Whatever you do, don’t just do it. Push it forward! [Whitelines]
Sakae

Postby Mach on Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:00 pm

Sakae wrote:Who said that Brits don't have sense of humor?

Today in the news:

First Ecclestone, and now Dennis? Eddie might have his pitpass revoked one of these days... :rotflmao:

Makes for good drama. If Bernie isn't saying silly things, Eddie surely will....right in time for this weekend's British Grand Prix

But then again, everyones had their fill of Kimi-bashing :vettel:
Mach

Postby Sakae on Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:35 pm

Sakae wrote:Who said that Brits don't have sense of humor?

Today in the news:

And who said F1 is boring?
McLaren boss Ron Dennis calls Eddie Jordan a 'village idiot'

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/531987/Dennis_Jordan_a_village_idiot/
Sakae

Postby Willie Caja on Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:16 pm

Fernando said to Spanish TV that they'll keep evolving the engine and taking penalties as needed.
And that they expect to see improvements by the Japanese GP, at the end of September.
So, it looks like they have a clear plan, and are expecting to improve in the last part of the season.
Looks like they'll keep testing things at the end of the pack for the next couple of months.
"Okay Fernando, we are racing Massa behind to the end."
"I love your sense of humour!"
Willie Caja

Postby Sakae on Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:31 pm

Well, there is another development in rumor mill, that Arai-san thinks it will take time to get it all right, whereas Éric Boullier thinks they do not have time at all, and maybe Arai-san should consider going back home. My guess is that this could be consequential fall-out after recent reported statements from RD, that he gave Boullier good kick to get him back on track...
Sakae

Postby Mach on Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:56 am

Not sure if I've ever liked Ron Dennis, consistently season-in and season-out, but you gotta like some of his quotes.

This one's a doozy. A little harsh, but a good one none the less.

Eddie Jordan: "It's not right Honda is getting all the blame for the McLaren 'mess'. Ron Dennis sacked Martin Whitmarsh, but
Whitmarsh never did the job of running that team as badly as Dennis is doing it now"

Ron Dennis replies: "I consider Formula1 a family, and families live in villages. And villages always have a village idiot. Jordan fits the bill perfectly."

Eddie has 3 weeks to craft and deliver a response. I can't wait :hit:
Mach

Postby Sakae on Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:45 am

But Arai responded: “We already work with McLaren Applied Technologies from the start of the project. They have developed software for our power unit, according to our requests. And they did a great job.”

So, McLaren developed software for Honda PU? Glad to hear that, because I was worry it might have been left behind when Mercedes was on board.
Sakae

Postby Sakae on Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:24 pm

Unless there is quick turnaround, McLaren is on its way to joint ranks Force India, Sauber, and perhaps also Lotus. I guess majority of fans are in denial stage, but where are resources rich sponsors to pay their way?
Sakae

Postby Paolo 2 on Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:29 pm

Sakae wrote:Unless there is quick turnaround, McLaren is on its way to joint ranks Force India, Sauber, and perhaps also Lotus. I guess majority of fans are in denial stage, but where are resources rich sponsors to pay their way?

I completely agree, McLaren has ended up in a very uncomfortable position financially, I don't know how much Honda pays to McLaren's coffers each year but unless Honda is willing to invest big time in McLaren (not in the engines mind you), in a sense unless Honda decides to subsidise McLaren, they won't have the financial power to be a leading team, I presume that the next step is going to be some sort of restructuring and in such a competitive sport a talent drain is never a good thing. I think that their single biggest mistake has been not settling for a reasonable deal with a title sponsor after Vodafone left, they thought that they were calling the shots and they have been proven wrong, their brand is at the moment very very weak and they have lost probably in excess of USD 200m over the last few years. McLaren is not big enough to sustain such a lack in revenues without their day to day operations being unaffected. I personally very much doubt that at this stage they will be in a position to develop a top car for next year, they will have to compromise, they quite simply don't have the resources to match Mercedes, Ferrari or Red Bull. I guess that they will follow in William's path, whether they can return as a truly top team is IMHO possible but at the moment extremely difficult, at least for the next 5/6 years
Paolo 2

Postby Sakae on Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:05 pm

I wonder if there is stigma felt from the pre-Brawn GP days at Minato, which would hold them back from following footsteps of Mercedes, Ferrari, perhaps with Renault, and pursue a greater vision extending beyond being an engine supplier only. Honda is IMO in a difficult situation, and it’s only one way out of it, namely, fix it, and fix it well! It was bad enough then, and pull out now again under current conditions is unthinkable.

It has to be fixed, then buy and re-brand McLaren to Honda only, and we have a game going.
Sakae

Postby Mach on Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:35 pm

Sakae wrote:Unless there is quick turnaround, McLaren is on its way to joint ranks Force India, Sauber, and perhaps also Lotus. I guess majority of fans are in denial stage, but where are resources rich sponsors to pay their way?

Tobacco advertising was banned unfortunately
Mach

Postby Sakae on Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:37 am

It's the same law for everyone for more than eight years. What happened to countermeasures?
Sakae

PreviousNext

Return to Formula One Talk