ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

Silly season 2016

Talk about the Teams & Drivers

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

Re: Silly season 2016

Postby Lawrence on Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:05 pm

Yea, my suspicion is that 2017 will the year that several "old guard" drivers retire and a new generation arrive in the top seats. So we may well say goodbye to Raikkonnen and Button...and not sure who else. Rosberg may be on the move. That leaves three good slots open for new drivers (Max and who knows who else). In many respects 2016 is a holding year, for drivers, teams, development and the rules....and then I suspect things are going to get real interesting for 2017.
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Lyria on Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:26 pm

I agree, this is another year of as you were then we'll get a huge silly season for the 2017 season with lots of changes. How many will be winners then and how many will end up losers remains to be seen.
Lyria

Postby Sakae on Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:34 pm

Without committing to any hasty predictions, I remain doubtful, that Hamilton's seat is totally safe, and that despite some media are begging to apply pressure on Wolff in court of public opinion to sent Rosberg packing; tactics that succeeded in the past on more than one occasion. (Spa incident was IMO just one of them, Monte Carlo - twice on separate occasions - were another, and there was more).
Whatever you do, don’t just do it. Push it forward! [Whitelines]
Sakae

Postby Lawrence on Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:04 pm

Hamilton has a three year contract. Pretty certain he is safe. The interesting thing about the 2017 silly season is that right now, it looks like the three big names are all going to stay where they are at (Hamilton, Alonso and Vettel)...but everyone else is going to potentially be on the move. We shall see.
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Sakae on Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:31 pm

Well, maybe so, but then:
That doesn't make a difference" Ecclestone said. "A lot of people have a contract.

I am a product of corporate life, but to think that you are safe because of a contract, and can always "do your thing", I say, is little bit like skating on thin ice. I do not recommend it. Since Monaco this year Hamilton is on the record publicly challenging his TP every chance he gets, purportedly broke just about every ethics related clause in his contract, therefore I am not sure that this situation has long future. It's a crap shoot. Latest fun, Hamilton is on the record that there could be only one No. 1 at Mercedes, only a few days later TP stares into camera, and saying, we have two Nos 1... Life goes on, and good luck with it.
Sakae

Postby Mach on Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:47 pm

Sakae wrote:Well, maybe so, but then:
That doesn't make a difference" Ecclestone said. "A lot of people have a contract.

Since Monaco this year Hamilton is on the record publicly challenging his TP every chance he gets, purportedly broke just about every ethics related clause in his contract, therefore I am not sure that this situation has long future.

Who cares....Hamy is damn quick and mentally tough.
:clint:
"We exercised our veto in compliance with our legitimate commercial right to do business as a powertrain manufacturer" Maurizio Arrivabene
Mach

Postby Sakae on Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:09 pm

Mach wrote:
Sakae wrote:Well, maybe so, but then:

Since Monaco this year Hamilton is on the record publicly challenging his TP every chance he gets, purportedly broke just about every ethics related clause in his contract, therefore I am not sure that this situation has long future.

Who cares....Hamy is damn quick and mentally tough.

That's not a point; many drivers are, or will be if you hand them a key from that car. Decisive factor in any considerations of that kind rather will be threshold of tolerance by Mercedes-Benz. I am not aligned with an opinion that Mercedes see in Hamilton a role model for their new clientele of their line-up of luxury road cars. To conclude, I think it's 50-50 before Christmas, and we shall see if it is going anywhere after New Year. There are some other issues brewing with FOM and FiA which shall be demanding full attention by stakeholders, thus inadvertently saving scalps of both drivers, at least for a while.
Sakae

Postby Mach on Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:23 pm

:roll: Who cares....Hamy is damn quick and mentally tough :p
:clint:
"We exercised our veto in compliance with our legitimate commercial right to do business as a powertrain manufacturer" Maurizio Arrivabene
Mach

Postby Sakae on Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:18 am

He doesn't know when to stop. Public contradiction of his boss No. 1000xxx

Lewis Hamilton: Mercedes line-up warning not necessary

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/550247/Lewis_plays_down_Merc_threat/

Makes one wonder who is running the team, and how much longer Wolff shall tolerate look looking a fool.

And contrary to his boss's comments, Hamilton added: "Nico's job is not in jeopardy and neither is mine."

Sounds like challenge to me.
Last edited by Sakae on Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sakae

Postby Sakae on Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:30 pm

DC to Top Gear..? T.B.C. by BBC.
Sakae

Postby Sakae on Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:12 pm

Well, we know now DC will be moving to Ch4

How many candidates are on the long list for 2017 with SF?

1. Vettel - confirmed (barring unexpected developments like start disputing his bosses)

2. Maybe - in not any particular order:
- Räikkönen (if his 2016 develops solid, he might go one more)
- Hülkenberg (faint hope, not darring to dream)
- Bottas (as Nico)
- Rosberg (well, maybe)
- Vergne (difficult choice)
- Grosjean (hoping for miracle)
- Gutierrez (as above)
- Toro Rosso boys may or may not be contractually available.
- Unexpected / dark horse?

My gut feeling is, that Kimi will continue (unless he decides that he is missing Minttu and kid more than hotel rooms) until TR boys are off the hook.
Sakae

Previous

Return to Formula One Talk