ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

Silly season 2016

Talk about the Teams & Drivers

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

Re: Silly season 2016

Postby Lawrence on Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:30 am

Pérez staying at Force India.
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Sakae on Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:52 am

Button is confirmed for next year in Japan to stay where he is.
Whatever you do, don’t just do it. Push it forward! [Whitelines]
Sakae

Postby Lawrence on Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:25 pm

Good for him, good for McLaren, good for F1.
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Sakae on Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:32 pm

Lawrence wrote:Good for him, good for McLaren, good for F1.

Can you explain how is it good for (alledgedly cash strapped) McLaren? If RB takes off (and we do not know what they will decide), why not to take on some RB driver instead as a cheaper option? I do of course realize if RB leaves, three cars per team will be back on the table as an offset solution, and someone will have to drive them, but stil, other then from sentimental reasons, what else is there right now..?
Sakae

Postby Lawrence on Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:18 pm

JB is a driver that always somehow manages to gets results (mystifies me sometimes), works wells with others (after all, he had Hamilton and Alonso as teammates), I gather being experienced he is helpful for testing and car development, and is good for PR and marketing. When you have a budget of 300-400 million a year, spending an extra couple of million for the right driver does not bust the bank. In fact, it makes sense. The hungry young kids will still be around next year, if you really want one.
Lawrence

Postby Sakae on Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:42 pm

I am not on anti-Button mission here, but some of the stuff in here is closer to a myth, than reality. From what we read earlier, McLaren's budget is about half, if not less the amount stated. They complain about PU, Arai retorted quite openly back just a few days ago, while they critique engine, they should add sh**y chassis to it, so, I am lost how is that driver's much louded experience in support of development evidenced. McLaren seems to be on brink of in-house civil war at the moment, and drivers really not having calming effect on that situation. JB got himself in dispute via media with Lauda last weekend (he said, she said), now the same with Dennis, so, all in all, nice going. It doesn't matter to me, but from outside, I am not convinced EB needs him for anything else, but some publicity work. It is not lost on me, that EB is trying to save some money on development, and he is among those pushing for elimination of wind tunnel testing. That is, I think, wrong kind of saving, and that is after actually his own boss stated in public, that lack of testing increased development expenses. Some people obviously learnt absolutely nothing.
Sakae

Postby Mach on Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:32 am

- Alonso, Button and Dennis starting and putting out fires of frustration with the car, Honda and contracts
- Red Bull is at the brink of leaving F1
- Mercedes upset they only got 6 minutes of TV coverage during Japan-GP
- Cold war between Hamilton and Nico
- British-GP may be scrapped from 2016 onwards
- Lotus playing hard-ball with Renault purchase...err...Letter of Interest
- Lotus impending court date
- Arrivabene thinks Vettel is better than Schumacher

Thank goodness there's "some-F1-thing" worth watching....surely the boring races won by Mercedes isn't
:clint:
"We exercised our veto in compliance with our legitimate commercial right to do business as a powertrain manufacturer" Maurizio Arrivabene
Mach

Postby Lawrence on Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:18 am

Who follows F1 for the racing? It is the circus that is the show !!!
Lawrence

Postby Lyria on Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:13 pm

Haas have announced Grosjean as their first driver. No shocks there then. Who will be their second one?
Lyria

Postby Lyria on Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:19 pm

Sakae wrote:Button is confirmed for next year in Japan to stay where he is.

That is not strictly true. Ron Dennis has said he won't be taking up the option to release Button from his contract, that is not the same thing as them agreeing Jenson will be in the McLaren in 2016. As I understand it both sides are talkign right now but no firm decision has been taken. It's by no means certain Jenson will be in that car next year. Part of me would like to think he is, but on the other hand after the season he's just had I wouldn't blame him for saying he's had enough and walking away.

According to David Coulthard, Button could be on Renault's list of potential replacements for Grosjean if the deal for them buying Lotus eventually goes through.

That tells me, the McLaren deal isn't finalised at all.
Lyria

Postby Sakae on Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:09 pm

Lyria, I have based my post on the following article:

However, in an interview with the BBC following Sunday’s Japanese Grand Prix, McLaren Group CEO Dennis made clear that he expected Button to be racing for the team in 2016 alongside existing teammate Fernando Alonso.

“Jenson is on a two-year contract and Fernando is on a three-year contract,” Dennis said.

“It’s as simple as that. At the end of the day, nothing has been clearer. They’ve got agreements in place. We’ll honour the agreement because we want to.

If Mr. Button is twitchy about it, then some people are ngotiating through (them) friendly media, don't you think? Dennis's statement seems straightforward, and definite, free of iffs or maybes.

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/540629/Dennis_McLaren_will_honour_agreement_with_Button/
Sakae

Postby Lawrence on Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:22 pm

So Button stays are McLaren and Grosjean in confirmed for Haas (poor guy, I think he made a mistake). So the only open seat is the two Manor seats (available to the two highest bidders), the lead Lotus seat and the second Haas seat (Gutierrez?).
Lawrence

Postby Sakae on Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:35 pm

Gro is already on the record, and, mind you, that's even before being officially introduced, that it would be nice to drive for Ferrari (in 2017). Most of us knew there could be a plan in place when he indicated his desire to switch, and now we know, there is one. (Maybe only in Gro's head, but, there is one nonetheless).
Sakae

Postby Lawrence on Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:49 pm

Yea, I think he is dreaming. Ferrari almost never promotes from within (exception was Massa). They invariably grab their drivers from other top teams, because they can.
Lawrence

Postby Lawrence on Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:48 pm

Apparently all the drama over Button was entirely related to salary. His contract bumped him next year from $12 million to $18 million, and Ron Dennis, being the tactful and charming man that he is, tried to re-negotiate the price.
Lawrence

PreviousNext

Return to Formula One Talk