ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

Bye bye Kimi?

Talk about the Teams & Drivers

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

Bye bye Kimi?

Postby Lawrence on Tue May 26, 2015 1:44 am

A new thread to discuss Kimi's last year with Ferrari (maybe).

I was curious if he was doing better or worse compared to his teammate from last season. Six races into the season, here are his qualifying time differences compared to Vettel:

Race..... time difference
2..........2.541. Q2 times

Total delta: 4.898

He was ouitqualified by Vettel in all six races.

Looking at the same first six races from last year, here are his times compared to Alonso:

1.......1.689. Q2
3.......-.624
4.......1.095 Q2
5.......-.036

Total delta: 3.870

He out-qualified Alonso twice, but when he was out-qualified it was around a second.

So either:
1. Kimi is not doing any better this year.
2. Or Vettel is just much faster than Alonso (I am sure Sakae likes this answer).
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Re: Bye bye Kimi?

Postby Sakae on Tue May 26, 2015 4:23 am

Oh thanks for consideration, Lawrence, but...I've changed my mind, and shorten my response to - I doubt the analysis. :banghead:
Last edited by Sakae on Tue May 26, 2015 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whatever you do, don’t just do it. Push it forward! [Whitelines]
Sakae

Postby Bourbon on Tue May 26, 2015 5:02 am

No. He will come about.
Bourbon

Postby Sakae on Tue May 26, 2015 9:55 am

Courtesy of motorsport.com in response to claims made by Alonso's manager, Briatore, who asserted that Ferrari did not make any progress in comparison to 2014, thus Alonso taking a job with McLaren made a right move. (Evil tongues, mine included, would ask - what other suitable racing choices Alonso had in situation he was, but whatever).

Following are comparative results in qualifying to-date:

AUSTRALIA
2014 deficit – 1.588s (Hamilton P1, Alonso P5)
2015 deficit – 1.430s (Hamilton P1, Vettel P4)

MALAYSIA
2014 deficit – 0.744s (Hamilton P1, Alonso P4)
2015 deficit – 0.074s (Hamilton P1, Vettel P2)

CHINA
2014 deficit – 1.777s (Hamilton P1, Alonso P5)
2015 deficit – 0.905s (Hamilton P1, Vettel P3)

BAHRAIN
2014 deficit – 1.183s (Rosberg P1, Raikkonen P6)
2015 deficit – 0.411s (Hamilton P1, Vettel P2)

SPAIN
2014 deficit – 1.908s (Hamilton P1, Alonso P7)
2015 deficit – 0.777s (Rosberg P1, Vettel P3)

MONACO
2014 deficit – 0.697s (Rosberg P1, Alonso P5)
2015 deficit – 0.751s (Hamilton P1, Vettel P3)

My own conclusions based on preceding data:

Data are relevant for resolution, and interim conclusion therefore is, that (i) regardless whether other teams felt behind with individual development, Ferrari, as a racing entity, has somewhat closed the gap; we do not know how much over 2014 in pure terms since Mercedes is not standing still and progressed as well, but gaps between leading drivers of both teams are in average smaller, and (ii) Briatore, as often in the past, is therefore mistaken.

Second, and less likely explanation of tabled results which I have rejected is, that Vettel is making gap smaller, and overdriving the car (as was so often attributed to Alonso's "magic"). I have never bought into that nonsensical conclusion then, and will not do so now.

Ferrari made positive progress. Period, and it doesn't matter how much it is a car, and how much it is a driver. Arithmetics are plain and transparent.

_________

More in-depth analysis, and probably more accurate study, would compare Kimi, rather than Seb, but I am running out of time, and subject is not high on my ToDo list.
Sakae

Postby Lawrence on Tue May 26, 2015 10:56 am

Bourbon wrote:No. He will come about.

He did not last season.
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Paolo 2 on Tue May 26, 2015 10:59 am

Lawrence wrote:
Bourbon wrote:No. He will come about.

He did not last season.

Yeah, that's what I was about to write, on occasion while waiting for Kimi's forthcoming comeback I wonder if his second name is "Godot"
Paolo 2

Postby Sakae on Tue May 26, 2015 11:28 am

Conditions changed this season compared to the past. Kimi also has a better record now, than last year, thus writing him off already might be perhaps premature. Race by race this year he had a lot of bad luck too. Vettel was also dismissed and written off last year by "experts"...
Sakae

Postby Lyria on Tue May 26, 2015 12:23 pm

Lawrence wrote:So either:
1. Kimi is not doing any better this year.
2. Or Vettel is just much faster than Alonso (I am sure Sakae likes this answer).

I like number 2 as well :yay: :yay:

To be fair to Raikkonen it hasn't always been his fault, but he has been swamped by Vettel so far it seems. We were told last year the car didn't suit Raikkonen's driving style which was why he did so badly. This year we're told his driving style is similar to Vettel's so the car should suit him, well so far it hasn't. Bahrain was his best race weekend so far and his only podium, but even here he couldn't out qualify Vettel. So yes, he could be on his way out at Ferrari next year, the rumour mill has put half the grid in that seat so far, I think he'll be lucky to keep it unless he turns things around very soon.
Lyria

Postby Sakae on Tue May 26, 2015 2:48 pm

JA on Vettel
There is an interesting line in Gazetta dello Sport today, noting that after six races, Sebastian Vettel has scored more points for Ferrari than Fernando Alonso managed in any of his five seasons with the team.
Vettel, who has scored a win and four podiums, has 98 points which is comfortably more than Alonso managed even in his best start to a season with Ferrari. It’s also his second strongest start to a season, after his utterly dominant 2011 season with Red Bull.

Sebi is back in force. :)
Sakae

Postby Sakae on Wed May 27, 2015 9:02 am

Kimi now found support from Seb, who advised his engineers - close the gap we have to Mercedes in qualifying. Find out why our tires are not up to optimum temperature, and fix it (please), because that is root cause behind this.

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/12953449/ferrari-address-qualifying-pace-sebastian-vettel

I find it rather amusing, since TP has given Kimi homework - write 100x - I must improve in qualifying, and now Seb is advising boss - fix the car (first).
Sakae

Postby Mach on Fri May 29, 2015 4:09 am

Come on Kimi....it's Canada ehh!!!
Just as cold as Finland _O_
:clint:
"We exercised our veto in compliance with our legitimate commercial right to do business as a powertrain manufacturer" Maurizio Arrivabene
Mach

Postby Lawrence on Fri May 29, 2015 11:07 pm

Yes, but they drink less.
Lawrence

Postby Lyria on Sat May 30, 2015 6:29 am

Lawrence wrote:Yes, but they drink less.

Who drinks less? :confused: Not Kimi that's for sure :hihi:
Lyria

Postby Sakae on Sat May 30, 2015 7:02 am

We might lean again on Paolo 2 for some specialized knowledge. I heard in Finland people tend not to drink very often, but when they do, they are really blasted, whereas in Italy quite a few people drink every day, taking it down very well without fuss or even appearing handicapped. This phenomenon could explain last year deficit, and now Kimi's improvement through almost perfect assimilation with Italian culture ... :rotflmao:

_____

Forgive me bud, I still like you. :clap:
Sakae

Postby Mach on Sat May 30, 2015 7:50 pm

I hope Kimi goes to RBR should Ferrari not resign him.
:clint:
"We exercised our veto in compliance with our legitimate commercial right to do business as a powertrain manufacturer" Maurizio Arrivabene
Mach

Next

Return to Formula One Talk