ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

Renault F1

Talk about the Teams & Drivers

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

Re: Renault F1

Postby Sakae on Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:50 am

http://choosefreewill.net/2015/09/11/renaults-return-and-the-formula1-f1-paradox/

Good read, and I wish we had more of similar narratives on a subject of an F1 series. I am not sure anymore whether this discussion is only about Renault, and their involvement with the F1, but more seriously whole future of the series, where Renault is merely one of symptoms of something large happening. Sure, one can say, people come and go, but what we have here is perhaps more (pending) departures than influx of new entrants, be it Renault, Lotus, or maybe more, and who is coming? Two recent offers to get on the grid, and no qualified takers.
Business model and self-defining mission would be good, otherwise how we will race, and who will be participating becomes aimless, random process of interest to no one. The old target to have fastest and most shining objects on the track is no more, and we all know this holds sad truth, and other series are slowly replacing this one not just with speed, and probably more competitive fairness as well.
Whatever you do, don’t just do it. Push it forward! [Whitelines]
Sakae

Postby Lyria on Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:17 pm

Renault have issued a statement saying they will either buy their own team or leave F1 completely. They are no longer going to suppoly engines to teams once their current agreements run out. They're unhappy that when Red Bull were winning Red Bull took all the glory and hardly mentioned their engine, now they're losing they are making a big deal of blaming Renault. I can see why'd they'd be unhappy about that.

Renault will stop supplying engines to other Formula 1 teams after its contractual obligations end.

Carlos Ghosn, Renault's chairman and chief executive officer, also hinted the company's relationship with Red Bull is likely to end this year.

Ghosn said: "We have already alerted the F1 authorities and told them: 'Don't count on us as a provider of an engine - it's over.'"

Renault is in the process of trying to negotiate a takeover of the Lotus team.

But Ghosn said there was still a possibility the company could walk away from F1.

"Our future is the subject of detailed analysis and renegotiating," he said. "We will either exit or run our own team. We don't have a clear decision yet."

Full Story : http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/34269127
Lyria

Postby Sakae on Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:53 pm

Yes, decision options are narrowing down to two. Stay, become a team owner, or leave. It's somewhat confusing why RBR (and media) fingerpointing at Renault, yet there is Infinity label on the car. (Infiniti is the luxury vehicle division of Japanese automaker Nissan, and yes, I am aware of alliance among Renault, Nissan, and Daimler).

On nostalgia note:
It's year 1937, Nisan unveils its luxury model 70 (6 cylinder), intended to be exported to Australia with supporting slogan, "Datsun is a car, and rising sun is a flag".
Sakae

Postby Sakae on Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:57 pm

motosport.com

Sebastian Vettel on pending divorce:

“Renault has done a fantastic job in the past supplying [Red Bull] with a strong engine and the latest technique that was required to be competitive in the blown exhaust era. They were one of the best and most advanced.
“There are a lot of things people tend to forget that Renault has achieved, so I hope they stay in the sport," he concluded, referring to the possibility of Renault taking over the Lotus squad and becoming a fully-fledged works entrant once again.

In contrast to many in paddock, here is someone who appreciates history, and is gracious enough to thank those who supported him in the past. Seb is really unique in some aspects, and stands head and shoulders above most on the grid today.
Sakae

Postby Lyria on Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:18 pm

I thought that was nice of Seb too, what a gentleman he is 8)
Lyria

Postby choosefreewill on Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:50 pm

thank you Sakae for the kind words, I wrote that article. I still question the entire situation. Why would VW join F1 with no engine customers? Perhaps Mclaren :) and why would Redbull choose VWGroup as it's engine manufacture when they've already agreed to a Ferrari drive train as an alternative. None of it makes sense. Audi reigns supreme in every form of racing it competes in, well virtually. The amount of work to achieve the same in F1, for what benefit? I think F1 can only hurt which ever branding they attach to the team. I guess Audi would be the obvious choice.
choosefreewill

Postby Lyria on Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:26 am

Welcome to the forum choosefreewill :sun: :clap: :dance:

I have to say I read motorsport.com a lot these days, I like your colleague Pablo Elizalde, he's good too 8)

As for Renault, they should really make their mind up but it's clear they won't be with Red Bull much longer. I notice they're threatening to walk away from F1 again, that threat is getting a little old now, unless of course one day they shock by actually doing it. Somehow I doubt it.

I hope if Volkswagon do come in they make a better job of it than Honda have this season :roll: Audi rumours are still swirling but they keep on denying they're coming in. Like most things I suppose it's a case of wait and see. Maybe Red Bull have an agreement with Ferrari in principle but haven't signed anything yet as they hope for something better, I'm guessing Ferrari won't want to be messed about though so they shouldn't keep them waiting too long.
Lyria

Postby Sakae on Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:41 pm

Lyria wrote:Welcome to the forum choosefreewill :sun: :clap: :dance:

I have to say I read motorsport.com a lot these days, I like your colleague Pablo Elizalde, he's good too 8)

As for Renault, they should really make their mind up but it's clear they won't be with Red Bull much longer. I notice they're threatening to walk away from F1 again, that threat is getting a little old now, unless of course one day they shock by actually doing it. Somehow I doubt it.

I hope if Volkswagon do come in they make a better job of it than Honda have this season :roll: Audi rumours are still swirling but they keep on denying they're coming in. Like most things I suppose it's a case of wait and see. Maybe Red Bull have an agreement with Ferrari in principle but haven't signed anything yet as they hope for something better, I'm guessing Ferrari won't want to be messed about though so they shouldn't keep them waiting too long.

AMuS - Has Renault agreed to sign a Letter if Intent this week, pending resolution of a few issues?
http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/formel-1/lotus-ist-gerettet-renault-comeback-perfekt-9980972.html

In other rumor:
- RBR will mount Ferrari engines for next 2 years
- In 2018 RBR shall be sold to VW with a new engine (details unknown)
- If Ferrari deal will not go ahead, Mercedes might re-badge their engines under Nissan label
- Renault has released RBR out of 2016 obligations already....

Pretty juicy stuff on the net.
Sakae

Postby Sakae on Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:07 pm

choosefreewill wrote:thank you Sakae for the kind words, I wrote that article. I still question the entire situation. Why would VW join F1 with no engine customers? Perhaps Mclaren :) and why would Redbull choose VWGroup as it's engine manufacture when they've already agreed to a Ferrari drive train as an alternative. None of it makes sense. Audi reigns supreme in every form of racing it competes in, well virtually. The amount of work to achieve the same in F1, for what benefit? I think F1 can only hurt which ever branding they attach to the team. I guess Audi would be the obvious choice.

Hi there!
IMHO engine supply landscape is extremely fuzzy at the moment, but situation seems to be creeping towards more concrete form soon. It has to, because there are development milestones to be met for 2016 launch. In my understaning Ferrari solution is only temporary, and for next two years only, which is plausible hypothesis. This of course begs a question, why would a respectable business entity, such as VW certainly is, want to enter into the F1? I am going to spare you littany of "what's wrong with F1", at least in perception of this fan, but I think most of us have some list on our own. I am however not convinced that randomized governance as a business target (together with noisier engines), is enough. Perhaps exposure to developing markets is all what they want, and what F1 can offer. India, China, etc. must be on the calendar.
Sakae

Postby Sakae on Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:38 am

Renault officially entered into negotiation with current Lotus owners with aim to purchase majority stake in the team, provided, that all conditions and terms are met with all involved parties. So, there is an intent to purchase, but ownership has not changed hands as yet, and money has not reached bank account yet either. We can hope, but that's all at the moment.
Sakae

Postby Lyria on Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:11 pm

That Renault letter of intent might be enough to save Lotus when it goes to court today facing bankruptcy.

It would be a way of them showing they can pay those outstanding bills they have. Whether it will be enough to convince the court to let them keep trading is up to them. I am guessing that is why the letter was written in the first place. It's like being engaged, no one says the wedding will definitely happen but it's likely, so far that is all this is.
Lyria

Postby Sakae on Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:19 am

I am rooting for Renault manufacturer. I think they have "wrong" drivers lineup at Lotus, however otherwise good to hear good news. They have great history behind them, and despite that people do not speak about it, similar issues as experienced with RBR, if memory serves me, they had with Williams very long time ago, when they were giving Honda run for their money. History merely repeating itself. I would have taken rather Sauber or TR instead Lotus. People deny that, but I am convinced that it was actually success of Renault engines which pushed Honda out of F1, defeated.

Speaking to Motorsport.com, Cyril Abiteboul offered some insight into Renault's future prospects which should invigorate a fresh impetus into the manufacturer's overall prospects.

"If the decision is positive, we will have extra R&D budget,” Abiteboul commented.

"I think we have always been a bit limited in that respect, but we will have an extra budget which is substantial.

"It is a two-digit figure in percentage increase, compared to what we had before, which is good.

"We will also have a new single cylinder dyno that is coming for January, which will increase by a factor of 50 percent our testing capacity when it comes to mid-term or long-term evolution.

"So we are pushing massively, and we are investing. I am feeling confident frankly."

But Abiteboul also divulged that Renault could undertake some major changes in the human resource department with new management appointments destined to regain discipline and leadership on its technical front, and which could even affect his own role within the company.

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/547662/Renault_works_effort_to_receive_budget_and_infrastructure_boost/
Sakae

Postby Mach on Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:08 pm

I hope this story goes away before December 1st :vettel:
I feel the media has gotten a little pretentious with the whole ordeal :evil:
Renault, on several indications, said they'll make their announcement upon the 2015 seasons conclusion :roll:
:clint:
"We exercised our veto in compliance with our legitimate commercial right to do business as a powertrain manufacturer" Maurizio Arrivabene
Mach

Postby Sakae on Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:09 pm

The word instead pretentious I would use obnoxious, but otherwise fully agree. Renault after all is not doing anything else than what they promised.
Sakae

Postby Mach on Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:51 pm

Sakae wrote:The word instead pretentious I would use obnoxious, but otherwise fully agree. Renault after all is not doing anything else than what they promised.

Obnoxious vs. Pretentious :confused:

I loath the way Renault is being so pompous :reallyevil:
:clint:
"We exercised our veto in compliance with our legitimate commercial right to do business as a powertrain manufacturer" Maurizio Arrivabene
Mach

PreviousNext

Return to Formula One Talk