ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

How Would You Change F1?

Talk about the Teams & Drivers

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

Re: How Would You Change F1?

Postby Sakae on Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:53 pm

Stats average 37 years old, yet what I find disturbing is lack of understanding what happened in the past when there was tire war, and how loopsided championship become between Bridge and Michel. To me free choice of tires and team elected tire strategy - one supplier, but broader range and flexibility - is a better choice. Second thing, with refuelling, strategy of overtaking was too skewed on building a gap, undercut, and do overtaking by a pit crew.
Whatever you do, don’t just do it. Push it forward! [Whitelines]
Sakae

Postby Lyria on Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:20 pm

The title of this thread is more or less what I asked Eddie Jordan in one of those send your questions in things. Anyway he answered it and here's what he said :)

If Bernie asked you how you'd change F1 for the better, where would you start, and what would you get rid of first? - Lyria

Eddie Jordan said:
"I would make the revenue distribution more equitable and encourage GP2 teams to make the jump, instead of discouraging them with stupid rules like new teams not getting paid for three years. You wouldn't believe how good some of these teams are and how good they would be in F1. It would be nice to see pre-qualifying and teams fighting to even get the chance to be on the grid, as it was when I started."
Lyria

Postby Mach on Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:51 pm

July 2015 FIA/Strategy Group Meeting Statement came out with 2 interesting changes for the current season

1. Increased restrictions on driver aids and coaching will be implemented from this year’s Belgian Grand Prix :clap:

2. Overhaul new manufactures power unit penalties. Basically, McLaren-Honda will have the use of an extra engine in 2015 without penalty :clap:

Several others are geared for 2016 :clap:
:clint:
"We exercised our veto in compliance with our legitimate commercial right to do business as a powertrain manufacturer" Maurizio Arrivabene
Mach

Postby Sakae on Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:49 pm

Restrictions of drivers aids? Really? No kidding! Another restriction, as we didn't have enough of those already. If we cannot come up with something, so lets restrict something else, and call it progressive innovation. Fact is, teams cannot run current vehicles without involvement by various engineers in the background. Technology already has been analyzed in the recent past, and subject beaten to death, yet here it comes back again.The whole thing needs heavy re-engineering. It is mystery to me what they are planning to do in a hurry, and call it a change of substance. One could cry how easy they think we are, and can feed us any *_* they come up with.

I want less restrictions as well, but substantive, thus we need different vehicle system - a car, revised PU, revised rules, and many more changes than just wishy washy announcements. Do they take us for stupid? This is not about removing a few buttons, or telling Rosberg we cannot give you information which we gave to Hamilton. It is about racing environment which is driver-dependent, and that takes more effort than they can handle right now. Next year maybe, but they have no guts to do that.
Whatever you do, don’t just do it. Push it forward! [Whitelines]
Sakae

Postby Mach on Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:05 pm

I guess its FIA and Strategy Group grasping at "low-hanging fruit" for easily achieved results to satisfy Social Fans who aren't as F1 savvy as we are.
:clint:
"We exercised our veto in compliance with our legitimate commercial right to do business as a powertrain manufacturer" Maurizio Arrivabene
Mach

Postby IanK on Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:41 am

Oh hi, I'm not dead.

Here's what I'd do.

1: Get rid of every rule change from the last 10 years except slick tires, knockout qualifying, and no/very few aero bits on the cars apart from the wings.

2: Less dependence on bodywork for aerodynamics. The cars today are so sensitive to turbulent air that unless they're significantly faster drivers can barely size up the driver in front of them, never mind pass. Bring back ground effects, this will drastically increase the grip generated by the cars without all the turbulent air that makes overtaking so much more difficult. With the advances in technology over the last 30 years, this would be much safer than when it was banned in 1982.

3: No traction control or launch control. Make the drivers work for it a little more. The way things are now a trained monkey or even Pastor Maldonado can drive an F1 car.

4: Allow multiple tire companies or at the very least force Pirelli to produce a decent tire instead of the current ones that fall apart after 10 laps.

5: Open up the engine regulations. The turbos can stay, but give teams the option of, say, a naturally aspirated 2.4L V8.

6: Scrap the entry fee for new teams. If you can build a car that passes the crash test and makes it to the first round you're in.

7: Change the 107% rule to 106% and then actually enforce it. Since its reintroduction in 2011 15 drivers have fallen foul of the 107% rule and all but four were allowed to start the race anyway. Only allow exceptions for significantly changing conditions and mechanical failures during/right before qualifying for drivers whose fastest practice lap was within 104% of the fastest overall practice lap.

8: Put in a budget cap. Every major sport in the US apart from Major League Baseball uses a salary cap and it has done wonders for parity. You can even do like the NBA and have a soft and hard cap. For example, you could do a soft cap of $100 million (about £64 million) for essential team operations and a hard cap of $125 million (~£80 million) for everything including drivers. If you want to splurge on two big-name drivers in the hopes that they'll bring you more success then you better be prepared to talk them down salary-wise or make some sacrifices elsewhere.

9: Allow refueling again but severely restrict the fuel flow when refueling. Give the teams and drivers a choice, but make it a choice that has significant trade-offs either way. Make it an actual tough decision between going the entire race with no fuel stops and being slower on-track or running lighter and being faster on-track but expecting to spend about 45 seconds to a minute on each pit stop (and I mean just the actual stops, so not including the time spent entering and exiting the pits) if you need to refuel.
f1datavis wrote:Alonso looking god-like right now.
IanK

Previous

Return to Formula One Talk