ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

Provisional Calendar 2016

Talk about the Teams & Drivers

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

Provisional Calendar 2016

Postby Lyria on Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:54 am

The FIA have released a provisional calendar for 2016. There are currently 21 races on it, Germany has returned and Azerbaijan have made it on. Now whether this is how it will truly be we will have to wait until nearer Christmas to see if they confirm it as is. Here it is as it stands right now. Usually at least one race says it needs to be confirmed but it doesn't say so this time, in other words this could easily be what we get. I did notice the Russia has swapped places with Malaysia, more or less, plus of course it starts later than usual too, not until April.

April 3 Australia

April 10 China

April 24 Bahrain

May 1 Sochi

May 15 Spain

May 29 Monaco

June 12 Canada

June 26 UK

July 3 Austria

July 17 Baku

July 31 Germany

August 7 Hungary

August 28 Belgium

September 4 Italy

September 18 Singapore

September 25 Malaysia

October 9 Japan

October 23 USA (Austin)

October 30 Mexico

November 13 Brazil

November 27 Abu Dhabi
Lyria

Re: Provisional Calendar 2016

Postby Sakae on Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:32 am

Thanks for the effort, Lyria. I am however mildly surprised, because I thought there were rumblings in the rank against expanding calendar, mainly, if I recall, due to workload and exhaustion. Second argument revolved around logistics and resulting cost increase, because of need for additional staffing to cover next event whilst one still was going on, but who knows what has changed.
Whatever you do, don’t just do it. Push it forward! [Whitelines]
Sakae

Postby Lyria on Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:41 am

You're right Sakae, the teams didn't want more than 20 races per year, thing is this is still only the provisional calendar, I'm guessing one or more race could yet drop off like Korea and Germany did this year. This is what they're proposing so far though.
Lyria

Postby Sakae on Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:55 am

I fear about the race in Italy. There is no agreement yet. Race in Germany - they have contract for this year, but beyond that..? Lets face it, if regional TV ratings are dropping, what follows with networks, we all know.

It's still confusing (at least for me). It is up to Ecclestone to set up calendar, and teams have nothing much to say about it, so, why this has to be in approval phase? By whom?

Expansion is another matter, but then FOM should put it to vote as an explicit line item; he can state I have secured these 20 races, and we have now opportunity to go also to Baku as a race 21 - please approve it.

This way it looks however again like heavy twisting of arms of certain promoters.
Sakae

Postby Lawrence on Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:04 pm

Yea, there should be a race in Italy and Germany (and France or they should change the name to "grand prize").
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Mach on Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:56 pm

Lyria wrote:You're right Sakae, the teams didn't want more than 20 races per year, thing is this is still only the provisional calendar, I'm guessing one or more race could yet drop off like Korea and Germany did this year.
As long as Canada doesn't drop off :noway:
:clint:
"We exercised our veto in compliance with our legitimate commercial right to do business as a powertrain manufacturer" Maurizio Arrivabene
Mach

Postby IanK on Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:35 pm

Sakae wrote:If regional TV ratings are dropping, what follows with networks, we all know.

It's kind of a vicious circle. There were a few boring years around the beginning of the last decade (2002 anyone?) and ratings started to drop as viewers got turned off. This coincided with newly developed countries beginning to throw gobs of money at anything and everything to raise their international reputation and F1 just happened to be a popular choice. These tracks are, without fail, some incredibly dull Mickey Mouse circuit that provides practically no action and a boring spectacle for TV viewers. This in turn further alienates European and North American fans, which drives down ratings even further, and leads to more third-world Tilkedromes replacing venues in traditional markets because that's where the money is now.
f1datavis wrote:Alonso looking god-like right now.
IanK

Postby Sakae on Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:07 pm

By Negative Camber
Let’s just race 19 times at Spa Francorchamps

No argument here, but I venture on four others.
Sakae

Postby Sakae on Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:20 pm

IanK wrote:
Sakae wrote:If regional TV ratings are dropping, what follows with networks, we all know.

It's kind of a vicious circle. There were a few boring years around the beginning of the last decade (2002 anyone?) and ratings started to drop as viewers got turned off. This coincided with newly developed countries beginning to throw gobs of money at anything and everything to raise their international reputation and F1 just happened to be a popular choice. These tracks are, without fail, some incredibly dull Mickey Mouse circuit that provides practically no action and a boring spectacle for TV viewers. This in turn further alienates European and North American fans, which drives down ratings even further, and leads to more third-world Tilkedromes replacing venues in traditional markets because that's where the money is now.

In defense of the architect, he has in reality very little creative freedom to actually design the racetrack, but he takes all blames at the end for its form and function. Race tracks are done on land very little suited for anything else (former dumps, etc.), and his hands are tied by a long wishlist from racetrack owner's commercial division how many people, visitors and operating personnel he should fit in. When all is done and dandy, only then on remaining empty spaces he scribes a road in.

Current product - an F1 car - is an outcome of a long process raging with commercial mismatch between automakers and people making living from racing. It will never work, regardless how many NO NO NO will come out from Whiting's office in the form of false savings. Not everyone understands that relationship, but we hang there by fingernails until something happen, and racing shall return back to us. Suppression (restrictiveness) of the issue is not a solution, but garden variety bandage.
Sakae

Postby IanK on Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:18 am

Defend Tilke all you want, but I personally don't buy it. I'm not a fan of his designs, I think he doesn't take advantage of what creative freedom he does have, the finished product rarely has much character, and if I'm being frank what he did to Hockenheim justifies all the flak he'll ever get and then some.
IanK

Postby Sakae on Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:58 am

I am not in a position to evaluate architect's performance with any degree of expertise on this subject. My previous post was merely an attempt to clarify, and have some degree of understanding of specifications constrains he has been working under, and unless anyone can show me there is someone who could do a better job under given circumstances, whole finger pointing seems then rather short on facts, and very strong on emotions.

One can think out of box, and ask why there is no cohesiveness between F1 expansion to new grounds, and having that effort supported with vehicle specifications realigned with character of new tracks? I gather Mr. Tilke is not a dictator, but in reality a contractor-employee, who works for track owners who have their own ideas where the track should be, how much they want to spend (very little), and we know, it's not always enough to copy and build a new Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps everywhere.

I read somehere overtaking this year is down this year compared to last year. I think from 43 to 29 moves per race. I gather it's not all Mr. Tilke's doing.
Sakae

Postby Sakae on Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:42 am

Despite its birth in France, Grand Prix, evolving into F1, after some 120 years of history is on the course to leave European traditional grounds. Germany, France, and now perhaps Italy might stay silent. There is no attempt to revive a race in France, Germany has a contract for next year but not for 2017, and now headlines beating drums that Monza might fall off the calendar as well. Nothing is forever as the cliche goes, and maybe birth of E division is happening in right time. I have done some soul searching, and fact is, outside of continental Europe, only Suzuka shines for me. I wonder if it makes sense to watch only handful of races per season, stop reading daily gossip masquerading as news, and still being considered as an F1 fan.
Sakae

Postby IanK on Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:47 pm

I know nothing is forever, but if Monza gets dropped then I might just be done. You can't live in the past, but you can't forget where you came from either. Places like Monaco, Monza, Spa, and even Silverstone are the traditional homes of motor racing. You can feel the history just watching the races there, especially at Monaco and Monza where the layout has remained largely the same for generations. Racing is nothing without excitement or soul. There's no excitement in a circuit where looking pretty for tv cameras is more important than testing a driver's skill or facilitating a good race. There's no soul in a random stretch of pavement that's nothing more than some despot's vanity project he got so he could improve his banana republic's international prestige in exchange for buying Bernie a new yacht. That's basically all we get anymore. Look at the tracks that have been added since 2004: Bahrain, Shanghai, Istanbul, Fuji, Valencia, Singapore, Abu Dhabi, Korea, India, Austin, Sochi, and coming soon we have a return to a neutered Hermanos Rodriguez and a race in a country that announced its election results the day before people actually voted. That's hardly an inspiring list, both in terms of the actual tracks or the locales. Even some of the traditional circuits that have remained on the calendar have been ruined. Look at Hockenheim. You used to have a unique experience that fans looked forward to every year because of its sheer audacity. Now you have just another Mickey Mouse circuit that's mostly viewed with resentment for butchering something that was the thing of legends.

It's bad enough that there hasn't been a race in France, where grand prix racing started, in almost a decade. It's bad enough that Germany isn't on the calendar this year. It's bad enough that the calendar seems to go about two years on, one year off at Spa. But if you take out Monza, you're basically announcing to the world that you're only interested in lining your own pockets by way of kickbacks from third world countries. I almost want Ferrari to flex their muscle a little over the Monza thing. Threaten to leave if there's no race in Italy. Mercedes should do the same thing to keep Hockenheim or the Nurburgring on the calendar. F1 needs Ferrari and Mercedes a lot more than Ferrari and Mercedes need F1.
IanK

Postby Sakae on Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:27 pm

Much in your post resonates with me as well. In my understanding Mercedes offered to contribute and pay a portion of demanded fee. I am not sure of reasons why this approach hasn't suceeded, but educated guess is, it was one time payment, whereas Ecclestone wants money every year. Some of these contracts make no sense to me at all. Based on a contract with a German promoter, from what I read, there was nothing left on the table for the promoter, unless track side would be full, and all visitors bought quite expensive tickets. I am not sure if every track has the same conditions, but no race agreement I think was a sensible conclusions under those conditions. Why would German taxpayers, who have no affiliation to the F1whatsoever, subside someone's lifestyle?
Sakae

Postby Sakae on Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:20 am

Ecclestone on Monza: No money, no honey!
Sakae

Next

Return to Formula One Talk