ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

Who would you rate as the best F1 driver of mid 70s to 90s

Talk about the Teams & Drivers

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

Who would you rate as the best F1 driver of mid 70s to 90s

Postby Somymu on Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:18 am

Surely the two decades from 1975 saw a peak in F1 excitement and rivalries with Prost, Lauda, Senna and Piquet all winning multiple driver's championships. You might argue the greatest F1 driver of all time was from a different era (Schumacher was about to start, Fangio had long since finished) but I don't think there was a period where there were so many drivers that would all get in to the top 10 of all time as that twenty year period?

If you click here
http://www.somymu.com/debates/best-f1-driver-mid-1970s-to-mid-1990s
you can rate the big four from that era on speed, excitement, character and consistency to score your winner. I'm hoping that rating on factors in this way (rather than just choosing your favourite) will make an interesting set of answers (Senna will probably outscore Prost for excitement, but will Prost outscore him for consistency?).

Take part if you can and let me know your results on this thread.
Attachments
senna.jpg
Ayrton Senna
senna.jpg (126.48 KiB) Viewed 505 times
Somymu

Re: Who would you rate as the best F1 driver of mid 70s to 9

Postby Sakae on Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:20 pm

I do not know how people judge those things, on various forums and in media creating all kind of criteria to advance their man, but without having any specific reason for it, for me it was Prost. Senna was this and that, but maybe because of my training, I was always aligned to methodical, professorial approach he has demonstrated again, and again. It was different era then, when cars could reel-in a front runner, and wave him good bye soon after. I miss those times when I saw Alain in P5, and the tension as he was closing on lead was worth watching, and experiencing, because it was something special. The man and the tamed beast he drove. Murray "screaming" on the mike was priceless. Alain actually tought me, a distant fan, to love F1 from just sitting at the track, without iPad, without internet, just that dirt I sat on, smell, noise, the car and perfection. Just great.
Whatever you do, don’t just do it. Push it forward! [Whitelines]
Sakae

Re: Who would you rate as the best F1 driver of mid 70s to 9

Postby Sakae on Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:13 pm

Whatever you do, don’t just do it. Push it forward! [Whitelines]
Sakae

Return to Formula One Talk