ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

2015 Belgian GP

Talk about the Teams & Drivers

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

Re: 2015 Belgian GP

Postby Lyria on Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:13 pm

Nasty tyre blow out for Rosberg in P2 at almost 200 mph. That looked really bad. He was pretty sure he hadnt' gone over any debris, so that is a pure tyre failure by the seem of things. That is worrying for all the teams at a circuit like this one if that turns out to be the case.

Between them the McLaren pair have a 55 places grid penalty!! :eek: Yeah, that's not the best start to their race is it?
Lyria

Postby Sakae on Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:56 pm

Instead 55 places, wouldn't make more sense to tell McLaren they are banned from this race?
Whatever you do, don’t just do it. Push it forward! [Whitelines]
Sakae

Postby Sakae on Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:59 am

Ferrari was running "Australian" PU yesterday, but this is second time Allison is running cluster of updates, with which neither of drivers were overly happy. Seb won this race twice, and being in P10 in FP2 was rather eyebrow rising. I take it more teams, not just Ferrari was running in race sim.

Is Kvyat is being judged by different standard? Someone choose to forget how Hamilton was interfering with Vettel, racing at length alongside of him through pits area outside designated lane, and getting away with it. FiA is simply once again practicing "flexible" law.

Rosberg can mark his time, surviving blown tire while awaiting birth of his first child. Lucky champ! :beer:
Sakae

Postby Sakae on Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:16 pm

Ferrari must be running a different race than rest of them. FP3 implied all back to normal, yet qualification implies different race expectations, altho I haven't seen a such huge gap for a very long time. Kimi's lost power, but what happened to Sebastian? I am not sure at all that Ferrari will tell us.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhgaQ93S3JQ

Race is long indeed, but this is damage control from now on.

(Well, smart guys telling me, too many fast corners happened to Ferrari. The car isn't ready for this track).
Sakae

Postby Sakae on Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:14 pm

Well, Ferrari has answer - Seb is in P9 because he made mistake in the final corner. Problem solved then for Allison.

Fact is, gaps are quite small, and even tiny anomaly can amplify result, but the "news" will take me some time to digest, that this is all Vettel's making, and rest is just fine.

Race placement in top six would be a good recovery.
Sakae

Postby Sakae on Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:47 pm

After some cooling off and a second look, having considered that on a track 7 [km] long about 0.2 [sec] can set you about six places back in the field, it is a tight race start. Seb is talking about being deep in the last corner, and who knows how he would have otherwise ended up, yet I have nagging feeling even if he stood in P3, that position wouldn't have been very convincing and secured for two hours. Ferrari needs (promised) Monza upgrade make up, but as Seb said, there is no reason to panic (today); OK then, I save panic for tomorrow.
Sakae

Postby Lawrence on Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:15 pm

Lyria wrote:I have to wonder how focused Nico Rosberg will be this weekend. Apparently his wife is close to giving birth, some people claim she's now overdue. If/when she goes into labour plans have been made to get Nico to her side. If it happens mid qualifying or mid race I'm guessing that won't be an option though.

Well, my personal experience is that partying and hanging out like Hamilton does is a whole lot less distracting and exhausting than having a kid (like Rosberg is).
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Sakae on Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:16 am

Seb had his first kid early last year. Gossip has it, that his partner is expecting a second child...
Sakae

Postby Lawrence on Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:21 am

Sakae wrote:Seb had his first kid early last year. Gossip has it, that his partner is expecting a second child...

And how was his racing season last year?
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Sakae on Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:36 am

Any correlation between Vettel's personal life and results on the track in 2014, however suggestive, remains in realm of speculations. I rather think it was combination of several factors, inluding kid, and Michel, however his discomfort with car handling and avalanche of reliability issues were most likely the leading ones. How solid the relationship with RBR management was, we might learn much later.
Sakae

Postby Sakae on Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:27 am

Scuderia
Sebastian Vettel: “It’s very simple: in Q2 we were third and it was very tight if you look at the lap times. In Q3 I was having the same pace, unfortunately I was not able to improve like others, also lost some time at the last corner, and that’s why we’re not in front. But I don’t think there’s a reason to panic. For sure we’re not happy, I lost two or maybe three tenths, but tomorrow we should have a decent pace and pretty good straightline speed to turn things around. We have a good car and a strong package for the race. There’s a lot to be done tomorrow, it’s a long race, the starting and first turn will be interesting and there could be some rain at some point. There’s nothing wrong so we’re expecting a progress.”

It's hard for me to argue with my favorite guy, but despite his attempt to put on a positive spin on qualifying, fact remains, sorry Seb, there is something wrong.

1. The obvious first - reliability is not too great.
2. The so called Seb's BIG MISTAKE headlined in some media in fact should be placed in perspective. He didn't go off the track, and two-tenths, if not lost, still would put him just a couple of places ahead, and far from podium. Under normal conditions, race will be a difficult one, and any gains, I expect, will come from others faltering. At Monza we should have some indication whether PU is a principle culprit in WCC drive.

Mercedes, and at least one Williams will be hard to beat. The others, assuming Maldo will not take Seb out, should be not a such huge issue, and Seb should take them based on his skills and car strength. Mercedes power will be a different matter.

Ferrari needs clean sheet design, despite the claims, that next year car is mere extension of current one. There is only so much one can improve on a design, which contains inherent flaw, and I do suspect this one does. (re: example of bad design was Mercedes, Schumacher' second career).
Sakae

Postby Sakae on Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:43 pm

Well, it happens in a life of a racer. He fought like a fighter. I am not happy with the result, but I am proud of Sebastian. BTW, I think Hamilton complains too much (as is Button).

Seb said (in German) that Pirelli told Ferrari, tires should last 40 laps. His strategy was based on that information, despite choice being slightly risky. Ferrari was slow. Period.
Sakae

Postby Lyria on Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:54 pm

I was really sad to see Seb's tyre go like that, so close to the end as well. Oh well, he tried really hard and a podium would have been amazing. Saying that it was nice for Grosjean to get the podium, he worked hard for it too, even if I thought Vettel deserved it more. Perez drove well also I thought.

What the hell happened at Williams? I mean three options and one prime tyre? Seriously? You couldn't blame Bottas for that one but the mistake dropped him down significantly, that was a bad error by the team.
Lyria

Postby Sakae on Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:19 pm

Lyria wrote:I was really sad to see Seb's tyre go like that, so close to the end as well. Oh well, he tried really hard and a podium would have been amazing. Saying that it was nice for Grosjean to get the podium, he worked hard for it too, even if I thought Vettel deserved it more. Perez drove well also I thought.

What the hell happened at Williams? I mean three options and one prime tyre? Seriously? You couldn't blame Bottas for that one but the mistake dropped him down significantly, that was a bad error by the team.

...not a first one this year.
Sakae

Postby Sakae on Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:25 pm

Scuderia
Sebastian Vettel: “We deserved to finish on the podium but that’s racing; a different thing thought is not to finish the race because of what happened. I think this is not easy to accept for a driver, even if it’s not as bad as in Silverstone few years ago, but still we need to talk to each other as it can’t happen without prior notice. There’s no explanation for what happened: it’s not a puncture, the tire just exploded.”

Based of lap times, tire degradation was normal, not indicating that useful life cycle has been exceeded. Moreover, two stoppers weren't mandated due to safety concerns, and Scuderia insists that all parameters (pressure, camber, etc.) were followed. Looks like structural failure. The fact is, under certain circumstance Vettel could have lost his life, or sustain massive injuries today loosing a tire in that speed.
Sakae

PreviousNext

Return to Formula One Talk