ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

Who Demanded Hybrids?

Talk about the Teams & Drivers

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

Re: Who Demanded Hybrids?

Postby pob on Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:18 pm

Wolff wrote:So we decided to open it up, to allow complete development freedom. You can develop whatever you want.

That bit unfortunately is a lie by Wolff: the suggestion from the meeting of the engine manufacturers was to keep the same rules as this year (inseason development + same token levels + no extra PU areas completely frozen).
Development would still be limited by tokens and some areas of the PU would still be completely off limits to spend tokens on, it is not complete freedom. :armchair:
Why aren't you playing for grandprix in the interforum league?
pob

Postby Guy with a Beer on Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 pm

On the sporting and entertainment side of things, the current engine formula is the worst thing to happen to F1. For me it has lost a lot if its magic. I'm actually considering not attending a race in 2017 for the first time since 1995 (when I finished school)

Lawrence wrote:
Obviously, with F1 being a sport, the drivers aids need to be minimized if not eliminated all together (I think I favor the later, including for gear shifting). But.....if in 20 - 40 years from now, if most people no longer drive their cars, what is going to be the level of interest in a sport about driving?

Is F1 going to be OBE (overcome by events)?

I'm all for getting rid of the driver aids and let the drivers sort everything out.

On the topic of driverless cars in the future... I think it would be the worst thing that could happen. Driving skills are bad enough now as they are. People will rely too much on the automatics and not brush up on their actual driving skills and will be all at sea when they find themselves in a situation that requires a driver to take control. You can already see this in the airline industry.
Guy with a Beer

Location: Melbourne, Sydney, Gold Coast, Cairns, Honolulu, Tokyo, Osaka, or Flight Level 390

Postby Lawrence on Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:43 am

Guy with a Beer wrote:You can already see this in the airline industry.

That is an interesting question.....what is the accident rate for piloted planes vice non-piloted planes in similar environments?

Do I trust a machine over some of the people I see driving (while drinking, talking on phones, texting, etc.)?
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Guy with a Beer on Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:56 am

Lawrence wrote:That is an interesting question.....what is the accident rate for piloted planes vice non-piloted planes in similar environments?

Not sure on the stats for that.
I do know that of the guys I fly with, those of us who hand fly full approaches whenever possible tend to do better in the simulator against those who like to trust the automatics more.

Lawrence wrote:Do I trust a machine over some of the people I see driving (while drinking, talking on phones, texting, etc.)?

That is the conundrum.
Guy with a Beer

Location: Melbourne, Sydney, Gold Coast, Cairns, Honolulu, Tokyo, Osaka, or Flight Level 390

Postby Lawrence on Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:55 pm

Guy with a Beer wrote:That is the conundrum.

I think over the next 20-40 years, all these things (flying, driving) will become much more automated, not because a human can't do better than a computer, but because the computer does it better than most humans much of the time, and does not drink, text, doze off at the wheel, etc.

Will F1 become passé by 2060? A series from another era?
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Sakae on Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:13 am

For those who like some technical reading, following article relates to early begging of Honda project, and (probably) why McLaren had such high hopes in renewed partnership. Unfortunately article does not addresses global development of hybrids*, yet nonetheless gives us unique perspective on one manufacturer's early days.

(*Research is highly secretive and information simply not available, thus it might be factually incorect to lay any claims, that Honda was alone researching hybrids. Stated is what is known, not really what potentially existed at other research centers).

Interesting reading, Honda

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/articles/f1/how-honda-developed-a-hybrid-f1-car/

Is F1’s hybrid the right direction?

http://www.formula1blog.com/editorial/is-f1s-hybrid-the-right-direction/

They (FiA) got it wrong. (Yup. I am not alone, what a relieve.)

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/9894039/mark-gallagher-says-f1-8220got-it-wrong8221-in-forecasting-hybrid-engine-reliability

Not a big secret; you want money in F1, you need manufacturers, and if you get them, you get also hybrids.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/analysis-why-hybrid-engines-are-an-f1-must-for-mercedes/

What are we talking about?

http://jalopnik.com/how-formula-ones-amazing-new-hybrid-turbo-engine-works-1506450399
Whatever you do, don’t just do it. Push it forward! [Whitelines]
Sakae

Previous

Return to Formula One Talk