ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

Do Lewis and Mercedes Encourage Teamwork?

Talk about the Teams & Drivers

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

Re: Do Lewis and Mercedes Encourage Teamwork?

Postby Lawrence on Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:25 am

Paolo 2 wrote:I know Mercedes quite well 8) :hihi: ....

Now that is an interesting statement.

...and I'm 100% sure that they want Hamilton not only because he's a superb driver but also because he's got the image that suits their expansion plans.

Suspect you are right. That certainly would be the case with the U.S market, where Hamilton actually has some viability (unlike Rosberg or even Schumacher... who had none). I gather the U.S. is a pretty big market for the Mercedes (even if it is not for F1).
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Sakae on Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:44 am

Sky
Fleet Street believes Toto Wolff's warning Mercedes could axe Lewis Hamilton or Nico Rosberg was specifically aimed at the reigning world champion. Wolff warned that "the difficult relationship of the drivers is one of our weaknesses" and that he was wary of that starting to impact upon Mercedes. If it does, the Austrian conceded they would be forced to change their line-up.
'Despite Hamilton's pre-eminent position as the three-time world champion - winning the past two titles with Mercedes - he is not seen as a team player in a squad governed by the team ethic,' wrote Kevin Eason in The Times.
'His complaining over the past three races won by Rosberg is said to have grated on senior Mercedes executives and even irritated the engineers close to Hamilton.
'It seems that Hamilton is testing the patience of the Mercedes hierarchy to the limit. They have spent almost two years attempting to smooth the increasingly fragile relationship between Hamilton and Rosberg'.

It has been discussed ad nauseam on non-english speaking forums, that Hamilton allegedly not complying with ethical commitment spelled in his contract (does what he wants when he wants), and contrary what is being said on various English forums, including this one, not everyone (whose voice cannot be ignored), is his friend. His contribution in promoting Mercedes brand in US could be greatly exaggerated, and with all likelihood its non-existent.

Mercedes, IMHO, owes to Hamilton absolutely nothing. Without that car he just could be another Alonso somewhere, forgotten.
Whatever you do, don’t just do it. Push it forward! [Whitelines]
Sakae

Postby Mach on Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:09 pm

Hamilton sure is quick though. Do non-English forums mention Mercedes switch support to Nico to try and win 2016 WDC?
It would certainly drum up fan support for upcoming German-GP :beer:
:clint:
"We exercised our veto in compliance with our legitimate commercial right to do business as a powertrain manufacturer" Maurizio Arrivabene
Mach

Postby Sakae on Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:36 pm

Mach wrote:Hamilton sure is quick though. Do non-English forums mention Mercedes switch support to Nico to try and win 2016 WDC?
It would certainly drum up fan support for upcoming German-GP :beer:

To the point answer is, that I do not know, and IMO, no one cares. I am not expert on these matter. My forte is in automobile research, manufacturing operations, product development, global business, etc. I am however aware of reports, that German TV audience vis a vis F1 is steadilly declining. I read a lot of opinions on that subjects, all more or less specualtive, but I cannot say I read any reports costing EUR 25000+ which would explain potential causes on bases of professional analyses. Germans aren't a homogenous group, and some may like Hamilton, just as much others detest him, but one thing is certain, namely, from friendly survey around the fireplace with drinks in hand revealed, that lack of suspence is probably one of those reasons. Predictability is killer of what competition is suppose to deliver. Homologation of engines, supression of technical combativness, and similar aspects which made F1 unique is one of those things which used to be attractive, and we have lost it. Authorities need to make sure that cars can overtake each other. We do not need Nascar with 30+ boring lead changes, but we need some. 2 or 3 per race, all on track, rather than in pits, would be a good start.
Sakae

Postby Mach on Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:47 pm

The German populous ALREADY KNOW Merceses is an exceptional car, F1 needs more overtaking and Seb is with the Red team. That's not going to change next season.
I just wonder out loud about how glorious it would be if Nico came to German-GP leading WDC....with the help of Toto and Lauda if needs must
:clint:
"We exercised our veto in compliance with our legitimate commercial right to do business as a powertrain manufacturer" Maurizio Arrivabene
Mach

Postby Sakae on Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:33 am

Triple F1 world champion, Lewis Hamilton has hit back at Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff’s claim that his strained relationship with Nico Rosberg is having an unfavourable effect on Mercedes.

Good career move; go after your boss. Is it just me, or anyone else has the same feeling that Hamilton would prefer to do something else than racing? He is becoming quickly unemployable in F1. He has revealed that in his contract he has taken a clause out which would prevent him from engaging in dangerous activities. He is skydiving, etc., totally ignoring what happened to Kubica and immediate effect it had on a team that dependent on his condition. I am in doubt that Mercedes can simply tolerate this much longer.

On British side Stewart critiqued him, RD had something to say about him and his F1 managment. New one for me however are articles on the internet blaming Totto, who is at the root of the problem, because he (undeservedly?) gifted some victories to Rosberg, which actually upset (little) Lewis.

Whilst optics are very entertaining, I am not so sure however that everyone in Stuttgart is right now exceedingly mpressed, because another sources closer to the team were reporting foul mood on Hamilton's side of the garage, from Engineering to the last mechanic. Looks like not too many are really happy with him at the moment.

Is anyone keeping score?

Hamilton v. Hakinnen
Hamilton v. RD
Hamilton v. Totto
Hamilton v. Rosberg
Hamilton v. Stewart

The guy is popular, that's for sure.
Sakae

Postby Lyria on Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:12 pm

Hamilton does seem to be fair, he's not against putting anyone down lately, they're all fair game for him to disparage. ;) I don't know why he can't control his mouth but it does seem to run away with him, either that or he likes to court bad publicity. I know they always used to say there is no such thing as bad publicity, but Hamilton is doing his best to prove that theory wrong it seems to me.
Lyria

Postby Lawrence on Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:20 pm

Well, Hamilton clearly has an "unscripted comments" problem. But, please remind me....exactly what is Toto Wolff's background and why did he end up as a principal at Mercedes (and previously at Williams)?

Anyhow, if he does suddenly leave Mercedes, I have no doubt he would immediately be picked up by a top team...perhaps Ferrari. After all, if Alonso can return to McLaren, then no door is closed for any top driver...and Hamilton was voted the top driver of 2015 by the majority of the team principals.
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Lawrence on Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:35 pm

Sakae wrote:...but anyone who thinks that any of Hamilton's three WDC were something special must be watching a different F1 series than I have been.

Well, a poll that ranked Hamilton as the top driver this year in F1 was based upon the voting of Toto Wolff, Mercedes; Maurizio Arrivabene, Ferrari; Sir Frank Williams, Williams; Christian Horner, Red Bull; Vijay Mallya, Force India; Franz Tost, Toro Rosso; Federico Gastaldi, Lotus; Eric Boullier, McLaren; Monisha Kaltenborn, Sauber; and John Booth, Manor

So yea, they clearly have been all watching a different F1 series than you have been. So have I.
Lawrence

Postby Sakae on Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:09 pm

Lyria wrote:Hamilton does seem to be fair, he's not against putting anyone down lately, they're all fair game for him to disparage. ;) I don't know why he can't control his mouth but it does seem to run away with him, either that or he likes to court bad publicity. I know they always used to say there is no such thing as bad publicity, but Hamilton is doing his best to prove that theory wrong it seems to me.

It's not only what he says, but how he comes across. The list of annoyances is simply too long to deal with.
Sakae

Postby Sakae on Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:25 pm

Lawrence wrote:
Sakae wrote:...but anyone who thinks that any of Hamilton's three WDC were something special must be watching a different F1 series than I have been.

Well, a poll that ranked Hamilton as the top driver this year in F1 was based upon the voting of Toto Wolff, Mercedes; Maurizio Arrivabene, Ferrari; Sir Frank Williams, Williams; Christian Horner, Red Bull; Vijay Mallya, Force India; Franz Tost, Toro Rosso; Federico Gastaldi, Lotus; Eric Boullier, McLaren; Monisha Kaltenborn, Sauber; and John Booth, Manor

So yea, they clearly have been all watching a different F1 series than you have been. So have I.

Is it the same list which places DR (one of yours favorites) into P10? From hero to zero in no time. I didn't actually know anyone could take that kind of subjective superficiality seriously. Ask them whether they would stick their heads under the guillotine for choices they made, or they want to think it over one more time.
Sakae

Postby Lawrence on Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:33 am

Sakae wrote:Is it the same list which places DR (one of yours favorites) into P10? From hero to zero in no time. I didn't actually know anyone could take that kind of subjective superficiality seriously. Ask them whether they would stick their heads under the guillotine for choices they made, or they want to think it over one more time.

That list placed him 9th. One the other hand....he is proven to be better than Vergne, took on the next upcoming Red Bull driver (Kvyat) and beat him in points and qualifying, and beat Vettel in 2014....at some point you have to give him respect. Who else does he have to beat before you take him seriously?

What is your problem with DR, other than he beat your favorite?
Lawrence

Previous

Return to Formula One Talk