ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

2016 Pre-season chat

Talk about the Teams & Drivers

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

Re: 2016 Pre-season chat

Postby Sakae on Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:28 am

2015 in review
F1 has reached boiling point. Engine manufacturers did not started from the same development baselines, yet are kept to ridgit and restrictive regulations that are impeding rate of catching-up efforts. Not a visionary move on part of FiA under Whiting's watch, IMO. Cost down efforts not only failed, but have done some damage to F1 luster. Many ongoing conflicts may find their primary root causes in those policies.

1. Kimi - will he continue in 2017 and if not, who will replace him? My feeling is, that he is missing family life more than loving F1, and that may play a major role during decision process when time comes.
2. Will Ferrari charge ahead, or find itself on defensive, feeling heat behind? Fact is, it is largely a guessing game and remains so until we have some actual racing under the belt.
3. Honda, I trust, will continue with their march towards pointy side of the grid. Whether it will be step by step, or leap by leap remains to be seen.
4. Tires - In general terms I do not find distracting and manipulative concepts as attractive as Mr. Hembery does.
5. Governance of F1 - in the air. Perhaps fresh blood and different style of management could be what doctor would prescribe. Fights with manufacturers is not what anyone needs right now.
6. If Rosberg will manage to develop his position into a solid three-way fight, Sebastian might take 40% of race wins, and consequently WDC. Ferrari might not be in a position to take 13 races on their own, but with a performance gap closing, Seb will take care of the business on merit and wins what he so richly deserves.
Whatever you do, don’t just do it. Push it forward! [Whitelines]
Sakae

Postby Sakae on Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:11 am

SAINZ WANTS LESS TEAM ORDERS AT TORO ROSSO

http://www.gptoday.com/details/view/550837/Sainz_wants_less_team_orders_at_Toro_Rosso/

Exactly as suspected. I do not wish to sound like anti-MV fan, and from occassional comparison I thought Max was little more audacious between them, but I could not understand why Carlos was so far back. He had some car troubles, but it would be pitty if he is not allowed to give Max equal fight. He appears to me stronger than Barrichello or Massa in their primes, and too good to play a second fiddle.
Sakae

Postby Sakae on Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:20 pm

Very UK-centric view. Get something (engines with full cost of research in them) for (near to) nothing is his idea?
Teams need identical engines, software, fuel - Newey
http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/550973/Teams_need_identical_engines_software_fuel__Newey/
Maybe time has come for him to focus on his son's future, and leave F1 to adults. I perceive him as a part of the problem, not a solution. For years he acted as a technical adviser to RBR, definitely influenced many times how RB voted on critical regulatory matters, and look what it got us. F1 needs new, open minded people (among other things). Whiting, Newey and several others perhaps should join Ross with fishing rod in hand.
Sakae

Postby Sakae on Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:31 am

One gimmick after another, willing to do anything, whether it makes sense or not, but to address fundamentals.

- Pirelli are asked to supply a bad tire.
- Hill advising Williams -- drop Mercedes, and get Honda (meanwhile Symonds admitted, that their chassis is full of flaws, all discovered too late [instead in depth pre-season testing])
- Herbert advising FiA(?) to race Saturdays for WCC, and on Sundays for WDC.

It's mystery on which planet bzzzzzzzz these people have been living for past several years?
Sakae

Postby Sakae on Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:49 am

Abiteboul.
“With modern regulations, it is very difficult to be a successful engine supplier if you cannot control the full package, because you need to have a more holistic approach to the car.”

Very much so. Engine people cannot run on whims of aero/chassis departments and vice versa. Renault will have next year more control of their destiny under new rules and autonomous management. This year will be muddy, but they will survive,
Sakae

Postby Sakae on Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:06 am

Berger
“Today,” said the former McLaren and Ferrari driver, “the viewer is confronted with a bunch of rules and words that he does not understand.
“Every Sunday there is something new,” Berger told Germany’s Auto Motor und Sport. “DRS, KERS, token, ultra-soft tyres … no one in the world knows what a ‘token’ is. But formula one talks about it every day.”

Well, most of us agree with you Gerhard, of course with the exception of SG. They have their own ideas.
Sakae

Postby Lawrence on Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:06 pm

Sakae wrote:Well, most of us agree with you Gerhard, of course with the exception of SG. They have their own ideas.

I think the argument is much more complex than that......while a lot of people don't agree with the current direction of F1, not a whole lot want to go backward to the place where Bernie Ecclestone wants it to be. In the end, FIA also sided with the majority of the strategy group on the current regulations, so at least among the people inside of F1, Ecclestone's approach is a minority opinion.
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Sakae on Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:14 am

Bar more noise and V8, I am actually unaware what else (more money for FOM perhaps?) Ecclestone wants in terms taking F1 into future, however SG, from sporadic reports we get on the internet, has not agreed among themselves on many other issues when addressing fundamentals.
There is a post back on previous page of this thread with comments by Alonso pertaining to his rant-list. Several of those concerns (preferences?) that are reaching outside of PU squabble, could have been addressed, if there was greater will to do so, yet self interest of a few individuals prevailed. Nothing complex about that, as far as I can tell.
Sakae

Postby Lawrence on Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:34 pm

Well, theoretically if Ecclestone and Todt agree...then the rest of the strategy group be damned....but it appears that Ecclestone and Todt agree on very little.
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Sakae on Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:51 pm

Formula 1 needs Ferrari to give Mercedes a run for its money in 2016 says F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone, when told by Tiroler Tageszeitung that Mercedes seems determined to dominate the sport for a third consecutive season.

“No, that’s not good for them,” the 85-year-old said whilst spectating with his friends Gerhard Berger and Niki Lauda at the Kitzbuhel world cup skiing event.

“Not good for the public, not good for anyone. We hope we have some really competitive teams at the start of the season. What we really need is for Ferrari to have improved – we finally need someone who can keep up with Mercedes,” Ecclestone added.

For once Ecclestone is correct, but at the same time, teams have to earn front position, not that it is mandated to them for greater good of the F1. I have no problem with Mercedes having a good car a child can drive it to WDC, but I have problem with regulations forming roadblocks for others to catch them best to respective team's abilities.
Sakae

Postby Sakae on Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:26 am

Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel on top: income?

Source
http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/552299/F1_2016_drivers_salaries_and_bonuses_revealed/
Sebastian Vettel, Ferrari, EUR46MM guaranteed in first year
Basic EUR27,6MM a year plus bonuses afterwards
Sakae

Postby Sakae on Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:22 pm

Live timing on my notebook - Europeans are paying more per season than US viewers. Numbers are the same, rates are not. Taking European consumers to the cleaners seems way of life for some people on the commercial side of this sport.
Sakae

Postby Mach on Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:45 am

Sakae wrote:Live timing on my notebook - Europeans are paying more per season than US viewers. Numbers are the same, rates are not. Taking European consumers to the cleaners seems way of life for some people on the commercial side of this sport.
F1 is "mainstream" in Europe.....but not in North America.
:clint:
"We exercised our veto in compliance with our legitimate commercial right to do business as a powertrain manufacturer" Maurizio Arrivabene
Mach

Postby Sakae on Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:26 am

Really? Probably that's why he is shutting down one EU race after another, and moving elsewhere. I believe that I have been misled in 2015 on topic what and when will be available trouble free (data, live timing), and I am not going to make the same mistake twice with him.
Sakae

Postby Mach on Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:39 am

Sakae wrote:Really? Probably that's why he is shutting down one EU race after another, and moving elsewhere. I believe that I have been misled in 2015 on topic what and when will be available trouble free (data, live timing), and I am not going to make the same mistake twice with him.
Yeah, F1 is mainstream in Europe and not North America.
Bernie is chasing higher fees outside of Europe.
:clint:
"We exercised our veto in compliance with our legitimate commercial right to do business as a powertrain manufacturer" Maurizio Arrivabene
Mach

PreviousNext

Return to Formula One Talk