ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

2016 McLaren/Honda

Talk about the Teams & Drivers

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

2016 McLaren/Honda

Postby Mach on Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:24 am

Okay...Ron...Yasuhisa...Alonso...

Put your money where your mouth is :reallyevil:
:clint:
"We exercised our veto in compliance with our legitimate commercial right to do business as a powertrain manufacturer" Maurizio Arrivabene
Mach

Re: 2016 McLaren/Honda

Postby Mafia on Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:43 am

hmmm...

I think there are too many nikki lauda's and eddie jordans in media creating fuss about something thats not even there in the first place. Fernando is staying. Period.

about the car? hmmm, not sure, I have seen in past manufacturers making more then a second gap during winter but that was when testing was like a bi*ch to every one.

Even if they make up a second during winter, Chances are by mid season they will be in a position to grab the lost podiums by top teams... you know, Nico/Lewis fiasco, which by the way, will be at its climax

I do believe they will be somewhat regular points scorer next season.
Tough Luck!
Mafia

Postby Sakae on Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:25 pm

Honda: we are in F1 for development of hybrid technology. If that is gone, there is no point staying. (Noble quoting Arai).

Seems pretty clear statement for Mr. Ecclestone and Mr. Todt. Isn't this similar scenario when Mercedes was pondering whether to go or stay a few years ago before they committed marquee to CA conditions? Both gentlemen have to shake the cage pretty gently, otherwise they might have on their hands whole new ball game, which in reality no one wants it, semantics for benefit of media notwithstanding.
Whatever you do, don’t just do it. Push it forward! [Whitelines]
Sakae

Postby Mach on Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:05 pm

I'd be shocked and say a total disaster if McLaren weren't consistently in the top 10 next season. I can't see Honda failing again.
Both Alonso and Button are just too talented to remain at the back of the grid.
"We exercised our veto in compliance with our legitimate commercial right to do business as a powertrain manufacturer" Maurizio Arrivabene
Mach

Postby Sakae on Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:23 am

Talking about McHonda, what I find interesting is disparity in rhetoric. Media are massively focused on Honda, whereas Button quietly is saying, well, ehmm, we need to improve in all areas, which might imply, that car is not all sing and song either.

This situation is really consequential to restrictiveness, all in the name of saving for benefit of a group termed as "small teams". Now we have on the table a proposal (to be tabled in mid Jan) for 3 engines for 21 races, in lieu 5 for 19 races. Honda (and others) could not make it with 5 engines this year, and now they will have to do it with 3? I want to see how this will end up, but this ambitious plan has disaster footprints all over. If they could deploy a testing team and run it on parallel tracks with races, than maybe, but this way, it is going to be expensive for engine manufacturers, and a lot of people will misdirect their anger upon their heads, when a darling driver going to sit on beach chair, catching some sun tan, whilst race is on.
Sakae

Postby Paolo 2 on Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:05 am

Sakae wrote:Talking about McHonda, what I find interesting is disparity in rhetoric. Media are massively focused on Honda, whereas Button quietly is saying, well, ehmm, we need to improve in all areas, which might imply, that car is not all sing and song either.

their speed through the corners seems to be second only to RBR which would suggest that they have a very good chassis indeed. From the outside it looks as if that car turns into corners very nicely
Paolo 2

Postby Mach on Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:26 am

Sakae wrote:Talking about McHonda, what I find interesting is disparity in rhetoric. Media are massively focused on Honda, whereas Button quietly is saying, well, ehmm, we need to improve in all areas, which might imply, that car is not all sing and song either.
If Button has a long term future, it's with Honda not McLaren.
Mach

Postby Sakae on Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:57 pm

Mach wrote:
If Button has a long term future, it's with Honda not McLaren.
2017 last year for him at best.
Sakae

Postby Mach on Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:44 pm

I guess it depends on who standing on the biggest treasure chest full of cash to give to Ron's team.
Mach

Postby Lawrence on Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:40 pm

So, another 223 HP for Honda for 2016? That could make things lively if it was true.
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Sakae on Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:13 am

Honda has dismissed a report claiming it has made a gain of 223 horsepower with its 2016 power unit...

"Recent media reports have suggested a huge horsepower boost for McLaren-Honda in 2016," the spokesperson said. "These reports are unsubstantiated and merely speculative, and we ask fans and media alike to treat them as such."
While Honda motorsport boss Yasuhisa Arai told F1i during an exclusive interview at the end of 2015 that the manufacturer has fixes in place for its troubles last year, the complexity of the power units mean it is unlikely any overall improvement will be known until pre-season testing.
The first pre-season test gets underway in Barcelona on February 22.

That's what I thought. Certain media will do anything just to get McLaren into headlines as a "player".

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/552150/Honda_plays_down_horsepower_gains/
Sakae

Postby Lawrence on Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:36 pm

Well, if Honda did find another 223 HP, they would deny it. Still, it would be nice to have Hamilton, Vettel and Alonso all in competitive machinery for a season.
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Sakae on Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:35 am

As teammates, Kimi, Nico and Button would be in the mix as well then. Hamilton and Rosberg aren't too far apart in abilities to drive fast, assuming Nico will not suffer from another mental meltdown.
Due to relatively stable regulations, other teams are improving in greater rate, over Mercedes's own ability to run away again. How much gains were made over winter remains to be seen, but realistic expectation I have, that Ferrari might be under more pressure from behind, based on last year ranking, than Mercedes; that trend will continue. Closing gap is not fast enough for me, but that's another story.
Sakae

Postby Lawrence on Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:12 pm

Well, most likely the season will be somewhat processional, but if Ferrari and McLaren have closed the gap, then it would be a hell of a season with 5 world champions duking it out. We'll have to see how the first tests look.
Lawrence

Return to Formula One Talk