ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

Camel Thread

Your questions and suggestions about the forum

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

Camel Thread

Postby Lyria on Sat May 29, 2010 3:39 pm

Just so you guys know I was asked to delete the camel thread from the chat section as it contained some upsetting material to at least one member. It made fun of their religion and since we don't want to be doing that kind of thing here and causing people to feel uncomfortable and upset I considered the request and removed the offending material.

Hope you understand. I am not against having fun here as you know but causing offence to someone's religion isn't a good thing to do, that goes for any religion.
Lyria

Re: Camel Thread

Postby Sinister on Sat May 29, 2010 7:31 pm

But there was only one offending post in there. Only that post should have been deleted, not the entire topic.

Most importantly, did my post count get affected?? :yaynot: :yaynot: :yaynot:
The Master Of Mind Games and the undisputed King Of Groaners :clap:

Things can only get worse.
Sinister

Re: Camel Thread( Is this the new official Camel thread now? )

Postby Sinister on Sat May 29, 2010 7:44 pm

If I lost some of my post count( which I worked tirelessly to achieve), then I really have to make up for it quickly. :hihi: :hihi:

Sinister

Postby MikaPup on Sat May 29, 2010 9:17 pm

Hmmm. I saw nothing disrespectful in anything that was posted, though Perhaps there were some posts I missed. :eerie:

To quote The American Muslim...

These mechanical knee-jerk reactions are gifts to those who seek every opportunity to decry Islam and ridicule Muslims and can only exacerbate a situation in which Muslims and the Western media seem to be locked in an ever-descending spiral of ignorance and mutual loathing.

I have no tolerance for people who use their religion to bully others.
MikaPup

Postby Sinister on Sat May 29, 2010 9:40 pm

Hey you are alive! :hihi:

Sinister

Postby Crossa on Mon May 31, 2010 8:11 am

MikaPup wrote:Hmmm. I saw nothing disrespectful in anything that was posted, though Perhaps there were some posts I missed. :eerie:

To quote The American Muslim...

These mechanical knee-jerk reactions are gifts to those who seek every opportunity to decry Islam and ridicule Muslims and can only exacerbate a situation in which Muslims and the Western media seem to be locked in an ever-descending spiral of ignorance and mutual loathing.

I have no tolerance for people who use their religion to bully others.

I suggest we keep it simple, and not drag the whole West - islam issue into it... This is an F1 board. If someone is offended we remove the post / thread, regardless of the type or source of the offense. It happened before and it will happen again.. plain and simple
Crossa

Postby MikaPup on Mon May 31, 2010 1:15 pm

Not that simple. The problem is that now, it will be more likely to happen. When one pokes fun at religious extremism but is censored instead for attacking a religion itself, doesn't that foster the idea that the religion is itself extremist? Doesn't that make it more likely that the religion will be attacked? Isn't that exactly what we'd like to avoid?

No, I'm sorry, the content of my post went no further in poking fun at extremism than the subject at hand, which was Sin's signature. If one offended, then so should the other. And if one did not...

I think it was wrong to delete the thread. I'm not upset about it, I just think it was the wrong move and sends the wrong message. On some forums, sure. But aren't we mature enough here to be able to have a conversation about what might have offended, rather than to sweep it under the rug and leave the impression that every time the subject of Islam comes up, we all need to be quiet and keep real still?
MikaPup

Postby Crossa on Mon May 31, 2010 2:02 pm

Point taken, but the reverse is also true. We do not treat religious offenses differently from any other, or at least we try to... us being no more than good-willing part-timers and all ;)

There is no reason for us to respond differently to a complaint because the plaintiff is offended for religious reasons, be it through a more lenient or a more stringent course of action. Its not up to us to decide who should or should not feel offended by what, we are not the opinion police. If someone complains, we respond. There was a complaint about the thread, not the sig line (as far as I am aware anyway).

Which of course does not mean that one can't go and sort out matters themselves with the "offending" poster if felt hard done by.
Crossa

Postby MikaPup on Mon May 31, 2010 2:16 pm

Sure. Like I told Lyria in a PM, it's a tough line to even know how to draw.

I know you guys aren't doing anything other than trying to keep everyone happy, which is a far smarter approach than mine. :hihi:

Plus, we've now had the conversation which I think should have happened in the thread itself, or at least my side of it, which is all that's important anyway. :p
MikaPup

Postby Crossa on Mon May 31, 2010 2:34 pm

MikaPup wrote:Plus, we've now had the conversation which I think should have happened in the thread itself

I think this is the point where I say that I did not even see the offending thread :hihi: :moose: but you could well be right
Crossa

Postby Lyria on Mon May 31, 2010 2:43 pm

As I told Pup I know that I was between a rock and a hard place by deleting the thread, I did it because a member here felt hurt and offended, it had nothing to do with it being about religion, it could have been a comment about a driver or another member or whatever, if someone feels that uncomfortable about a post and complains then as mods it's our duty to do something about it, that's how I see it anyway.

So now we all know where we stand hopefully.
Lyria

Postby Adam on Mon May 31, 2010 4:33 pm

Unequivocal bullcrap. You never deleted a post offensive to me when I complained about it. What's changed?
"You can always count on Adam for being the smart-arse around here."
~Dev, 10th August 2010

"...officially the biggest geek on this forum. Congratulations. :clap: "
~snowman, 21st August 2011
Adam

Postby MikaPup on Mon May 31, 2010 8:00 pm

That's because kilt jokes are universally funny. :hihi:

Oops, I've killed another thread, haven't I? :cop:
MikaPup

Where are my blue socks?

Postby Sinister on Mon May 31, 2010 9:46 pm

:hihi:

The Pups so called "offensive" post made me laugh. It wasn't what he said in it, it was HOW he said it. Pure genius.

Sinister

DID I LOSE MY POST COUNT OR NOT????

Postby Sinister on Mon May 31, 2010 9:51 pm

I think we should all blame Hamilton for this. :max: :hihi:

*For tips on blaming Hamilton please contact Paul or Strad. :evil:

Sinister

Next

Return to About the Forum