ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

Please Read - Terms and Conditions information.

Your questions and suggestions about the forum

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

Please Read - Terms and Conditions information.

Postby Lyria on Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:20 pm

This is just a general reminder of the terms and conditions of the site that we all signed up to and agreed to abide by as members of this forum. As you will see, we all agree not to be abusive, slanderous, hateful, etc. and it has been noted that some posts are slipping into some of these categories and this could open up the possibility of the owners of grandprix.com having legal action taken against them. I am sure none us want that to happen so if you could please try to think before you make such posts, most especially please be careful of the kind of posts you make that name individuals who could potentially google their own name and find something here they don't like to read about themselves, it may only be an opinion but that could cause a lot of problems and potentially get the site closed down in a worst case scenario I suspect.

Part of terms and conditions of membership wrote:You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate any laws be it of your country, the country where “Grandprix.com Forum” is hosted or International Law. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned, with notification of your Internet Service Provider if deemed required by us. The IP address of all posts are recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that “Grandprix.com Forum” have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should we see fit. As a user you agree to any information you have entered to being stored in a database. While this information will not be disclosed to any third party without your consent, neither “Grandprix.com Forum” nor phpBB shall be held responsible for any hacking attempt that may lead to the data being compromised.
Lyria

Re: Please Read - Terms and Conditions information.

Postby Silver Fox on Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:29 pm

Lyria,

Having gained an understanding in another place about the circumstances that prompted your reminder I do feel that the fact that you, on behalf of the forum, had to issue it is akin to signelling the death of GP.Com as a fans forum.

Over the many years that I have been visiting this forum many of us have aired our opinions and views (both positive and negative) on many past and present leading lights both within the wider motorsport world and more particularly within F1. Given that we know (from some of the things that we both see and hear) that those self-same personnel are more than aware of some of the comments made about them my view is that the one universal thing that they had to their credit was that they all (even the most litigious ones) at least let the fans vent their opinions and views in an unfettered way. It now appears (if my understanding is correct) that one individual within that fraturnity has chosen to break ranks with the rest of the motorsport world in directly contravening the above past position as taken by every person of note within the motorsport world.

Having worked at a senior level in a number of international businesses I believe I know just a little bit about reputations. What I have learnt is that, whilst they can be both built and destroyed by both actions and inactions, they cannot be protected. Today's internet is choc bang full of opinions, views and statements (good, bad and indifferent...) on every subject, past, present and future, under the sun and beyond. Major countries (such as China) let alone leading world figures have failed to 'protect' their reputations via internet clampdowns. With this in mind the mere fact that you have had to issue this reminder in this forum is counter-productive in that it will undoubtedly set off countless more posts, views and comments elsewhere.

From my perspective I had no particular prior view (either positive or negative) with regards to the person whom I am led to believe originated the need for your reminder. However the contradictory position they have now taken (in comparison to the entire, world-wide motorsport fraternity) in trying to protect their reputation (however valid that action may or may not be) has led me to form a personal view of them of their own making that may (or may not) correspond with their original intentions.

In stating that I have only ever posted my own views and opinions in the GP.Com forum and that, I believe, I have always complied with both the spirit and letter of the forum's T&C's I would respectfully suggest that Joe needs to decide he is prepared to pay the price of allowing this forum to continue as in the past or, if not, whether it is worth this site having a forum at all.

Respectfully yours,

Silver Fox
Proud sponsor of 'The Team with No Name...'
Silver Fox

Postby Crossa on Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:49 pm

Just to prevent potential confusion, I should like to point out that Joe is no longer involved in the management of the gp.com website.
Crossa

Postby Silver Fox on Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:52 pm

Crossa wrote:Just to prevent potential confusion, I should like to point out that Joe is no longer involved in the management of the gp.com website.

Thanks for the clarification Crossa. To that extent I would respectfully ask the moderators to redirect my comments below to the person(s) who are now directly responsible for the gp.com website.
Proud sponsor of 'The Team with No Name...'
Silver Fox

Postby Paul on Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:52 pm

Beautifully and accurately put Fox.
One paranoid Pitpass plonker, dos not the internet make or change.

Joe , however , I believe, has little or nothing to do with this site anymore but continues to do his excellent blog , and has in fact commented on the person in question himself , back in June :beer:

PS Oops Sorry Crossa.. Missed your post ...

---
Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
- Mark Twain .

---
Paul

Postby Crossa on Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:18 pm

Silver Fox wrote:
Crossa wrote:Just to prevent potential confusion, I should like to point out that Joe is no longer involved in the management of the gp.com website.

Thanks for the clarification Crossa. To that extent I would respectfully ask the moderators to redirect my comments below to the person(s) who are now directly responsible for the gp.com website.

Sure thing.
Crossa

Postby Funkmother on Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:38 am

SF, I don't think its quite as dire as you're suggesting. This is really just a heads up.

To everyone in general, the owners of the site have had contact from somebody who's been referenced in a number of posts and the moderators have taken actions to modify some offending posts. I guess the lesson is that when posting on the internet, its not like having a conversation over lunch or in the school playground. We're more like contributors to magazines or radio talk shows in our reach. While it may seem at times that we're just conversing amongst a couple of dozen regulars on this forum, the fact is that its available across a much wider domain for many silent people to read. And it tends to be permanent. If you need illustration, try Googling this: "At no time did de Groot ask whether all fuel had been removed from the car" (include the quotation marks) and you'll be taken to a thread that took place on this forum more than 5 years ago.

I guess my point is that we have the same responsibility as magazine editors and radio presenters when it comes to posting on this forum. Before I was allowed to present radio programs I had to attend a training course that taught me, amongst other things, the legal liabilities associated with becoming a broadcaster and the risk to the operators of the radio station should I say the wrong thing. There's no such course that I'm aware of for people who write content for the internet but liability exists nonetheless.
The metaphorical inuendo flows like chalk.
Funkmother

Postby Guy with a Beer on Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:59 am

God I hate this litigious world we live in sometimes....
Guy with a Beer

Location: Melbourne, Sydney, Gold Coast, Cairns, Honolulu, Tokyo, Osaka, or Flight Level 390

Postby Lyria on Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:41 am

Oh I understand what you're all saying about this, Silver Fox I only put up the warning because Admin thought it would be a good idea.

It's not like we go around getting rid of every remark that could fall into any of these categories, sheesh if we did some people here would find their post counts dropping dramatically ;)

It's just a simple reminder to think before you post for those who need it and no one is saying that is everyone here either, far from it. It just shows that if you're not careful what you say it can occasionally come back to bite you, (or the owners of the site anyway).
Lyria

Postby Paolo 2 on Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:16 am

so what happened?
Paolo 2

Postby Dev on Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:58 am

Paolo 2 wrote:so what happened?

Indeed, I'm equally confused... :confused:
Alcohol isn't a problem, it's a solution... Just ask any chemist.
Dev

Postby Lyria on Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:08 pm

Well without wanting to go all through it again, one of the people that had less than nice stuff said about them read the forum and as you can imagine he wasn't best pleased. He let it be known as well in no uncertain terms how unhappy he was and made certain demands and indeed threats.

In light of that we were asked to put out a reminder for all members, which is what this thread was.
Lyria

Postby Captain Awesome on Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:49 pm

Lyria wrote:Well without wanting to go all through it again, one of the people that had less than nice stuff said about them read the forum and as you can imagine he wasn't best pleased. He let it be known as well in no uncertain terms how unhappy he was and made certain demands and indeed threats.
Haha, sounds like a right loser.

Who was it, so we can have a proper laugh?
Captain Awesome

Postby Funkmother on Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:44 pm

We wouldn't want to say. And to be accurate, he didn't actually make any threats. He just reserved the possibility of legal action. That's probably about as much as we want to say at this time. It probably won't do you a hell of a lot of good to start engaging in random speculation. I'm sure we won't have any further issues if we all just be sensible and play nice. :thumbs:
The metaphorical inuendo flows like chalk.
Funkmother

Postby Lawrence on Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:22 pm

Damn....I step down as a moderator and miss all the fun. Can't imagine who would be offended by our posts, Max, Bernie, Webber, Alonso, Schumacher.....?

Anyhow, as this is an open forum, I don't know what legal weight they would have in a lawsuit against anyone but the actual poster of the comment, and I believe they would have to show that the post actually measureably damaged that person's reputation. I don't think you can establish much damage being done by an anonomous poster on a chat site. There are also First Amendent issues here. Maybe I am reading this wrong, but it sounds like a tempest in a teapot.

On the other hand, if the person has the time to read our wonderful prose....then maybe he should have simply posted and challenged the post. I suspect it would be an interesting and educational discussion.
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Next

Return to About the Forum