ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

The Long Goodbye

Your questions and suggestions about the forum

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

The Long Goodbye

Postby Lyria on Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:27 pm

Some of you may or may not be wondering why I haven't been around for a while and I thought I'd explain myself. I have been trying really hard to enjoy F1 but they've been making it hard for me to do so for a while now. I don't like the way the DRS system has changed things, the way the tyres are now is also annoying to me. The thing I HATE most of all is the way the BBC only show half the races live and the others as delayed highlights. I neither want, nor can afford to have Sky to watch all the races live. The higlights only races means you have to try and avoid the result then you struggle to keep up with who is where and so on as it jumps around so, I just can't stand it. Basically an awful lot of the joy has been sapped out of it for me and the idea of doing this all over again next year..... well I can't face it to be honest.

I have reluctantly therefore came to a decision, this will be my last season of following F1. That of course will mean I am no longer going to be using the forum and therefore I feel it's not fair of me to continue as a mod at a place I won't be at. I can't give it my all so it's best I say farewell. Admin is aware of the situation but has yet to disclose what he wants to do about things.

As for me, I'm going to be watching motogp as of 2013, I watched the Imola race last week and found I really enjoyed it, I am also enjoying the challenge of learning all about the teams, riders and rules etc.

This place has been incredibly important to me for 9 long years and I have made a lot of really good friends here who I intend to keep in touch with of course. I will drop by now and again maybe to say hello but once the season is over that will pretty much be it for me. Thanks to all who have helped me to enjoy this place over the years, a lot of names come to mind of friends who have made it the best F1 forum ever for me. All the best to you all :beer: 8)
User avatar
Lyria
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 17749
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2003 5:01 am
Location: England

Re: The Long Goodbye

Postby LewisA on Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:08 am

I'm surprised that someone would leave the sport after a season as enjoyable as this. It raises two questions: how much of a fan you were in the first place, and secondly, whether this post is a brief moment of drama. I've no doubt you'll be unable to stay away from F1 fully. It doesn't work like that.
Favourite team: McLaren | Favourite circuit: Monza | Favourite sport: F1!
User avatar
LewisA
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:09 pm
Location: UK

Re: The Long Goodbye

Postby punky2 on Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:37 pm

:rant: NO! :rant:
Lyria you are like the mother of the forum, this is sad news. Understand, I too had to take a break from F1 and the forum. Hope a break is all you need to recharge your f1 battery.

The television coverage in Canada has deteriorated also. It really does affect the experience.

Look forward to your visits, make them sooner than later!
punky2
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:34 pm

Re: The Long Goodbye

Postby Lyria on Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:12 pm

LewisA wrote:I'm surprised that someone would leave the sport after a season as enjoyable as this. It raises two questions: how much of a fan you were in the first place, and secondly, whether this post is a brief moment of drama. I've no doubt you'll be unable to stay away from F1 fully. It doesn't work like that.



Lewis, welcome to the forum, I hope you enjoy your time here.

Just a word of warning though, you don't know me at all, how you dare ask questions like that I have no idea, do they not have manners where you come from? How much of a fan of F1 have I been? Well nine years here and the number of posts I've made, plus the fact I'm a mod here should tell you that if you bothered to look. Let me enlighten you further, I started watching F1 back in the 1980's on a casual basis, since the 1995 season I haven't missed a single race, not one. But things change in people's lives, they move on and they've changed for me. F1 isn't doing it for me anymore, if you're enjoying it, good for you but I'm not. You also don't know me enough to know that this is a decision that has been coming for well over a year now and it's not one made lightly. If I wanted a bit of drama, well there are plenty of other ways I can get that, trust me. Along with the other mods, I have access to the edit key of all members, oh and I've banned a few in my time when they have behaved in a way not fitting to this forum. It takes a lot to annoy me as most people here will tell you, but congratulations, your first direct contact with me has achieved it.



Cougar, you'd better keep in touch my friend :x

Punky, it's good to have you back :yay: But I am done with F1, I'm already moving on, just one motogp race and I'm hooked and enjoying the new challenge. I guess it's just time to move on. It's nice to see you again and I will keep in touch, I'll pm you my email address ;)
User avatar
Lyria
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 17749
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2003 5:01 am
Location: England

Re: The Long Goodbye

Postby Paul on Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:17 pm

:emo: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo ..
We know you'll miss it and be back in no time :p

You can also talk about Moto here if you want , so please dont go altogether. :yaynot: :yaynot:
Image
Image

---
Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
- Mark Twain .

---
User avatar
Paul
 
Posts: 25449
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2002 5:01 am
Location: Butt hole of Europe

Re: The Long Goodbye

Postby LewisA on Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:03 pm

Lyria wrote:
LewisA wrote:I'm surprised that someone would leave the sport after a season as enjoyable as this. It raises two questions: how much of a fan you were in the first place, and secondly, whether this post is a brief moment of drama. I've no doubt you'll be unable to stay away from F1 fully. It doesn't work like that.



Lewis, welcome to the forum, I hope you enjoy your time here.

Just a word of warning though, you don't know me at all, how you dare ask questions like that I have no idea, do they not have manners where you come from? How much of a fan of F1 have I been? Well nine years here and the number of posts I've made, plus the fact I'm a mod here should tell you that if you bothered to look. Let me enlighten you further, I started watching F1 back in the 1980's on a casual basis, since the 1995 season I haven't missed a single race, not one. But things change in people's lives, they move on and they've changed for me. F1 isn't doing it for me anymore, if you're enjoying it, good for you but I'm not. You also don't know me enough to know that this is a decision that has been coming for well over a year now and it's not one made lightly. If I wanted a bit of drama, well there are plenty of other ways I can get that, trust me. Along with the other mods, I have access to the edit key of all members, oh and I've banned a few in my time when they have behaved in a way not fitting to this forum. It takes a lot to annoy me as most people here will tell you, but congratulations, your first direct contact with me has achieved it.


Apologies.

One thing that does puzzle me though is that you place a lot of the reason for your loss of passion on the BBC highlights. I don't find these much of an issue, because hardly any of the race is skipped anyway. The losses are more in terms of build-up and post-race discussion. So I've had little problem with it.

Anyway, just thought I'd say, because it is indeed sad to see a long term F1 fan decide to abandon the sport altogether. Once again, I'm very sorry to have annoyed you, my post was rather condescending.
Favourite team: McLaren | Favourite circuit: Monza | Favourite sport: F1!
User avatar
LewisA
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:09 pm
Location: UK

Re: The Long Goodbye

Postby f1datavis on Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:47 pm

Well, we knew each other so briefly. Sad to see the person who welcomed me to the forum earlier this year leave, and furthermore leave the sport altogether. Very very sad :yaynot:

While I don't want this to be a comment on your decision, Lyria (individually it absolutely is not), I must say that the continued drop off in members of the forum is serious and disturbing. In particular, many long term members who's history of discussions and enthusiasm for the sport drew me here in the first place have simply stopped posting since I joined. I know there are good and valid reasons for this and I respect that life obviously takes priority, but are we starting to get below a quorum here? The post frequency of lots of members has seriously reduced and many threads seem to have days of wind whistling through them.

My investment of time, effort and opinion is predicated on having fulfilling, fun and thought provoking discussion. If we continue to lose respected "thought leaders" from the forum, it kinda takes away the point.

Not fun. :(
User avatar
f1datavis
 
Posts: 1100
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 7:01 pm
Location: Northamptonshire, UK

Re: The Long Goodbye

Postby Lyria on Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:12 pm

LewisA wrote:
Apologies.

One thing that does puzzle me though is that you place a lot of the reason for your loss of passion on the BBC highlights. I don't find these much of an issue, because hardly any of the race is skipped anyway. The losses are more in terms of build-up and post-race discussion. So I've had little problem with it.

Anyway, just thought I'd say, because it is indeed sad to see a long term F1 fan decide to abandon the sport altogether. Once again, I'm very sorry to have annoyed you, my post was rather condescending.


I appreciate the apology Lewis and I accept it gracefully.

So the higlights only races work for you, I am happy for you, thing is they don't work for me, not on any level. I'm not going to bore you with my long list of reasons, it's all about opinions and that's mine, which clearly differs from yours, but that's life isn't it?


f1datavis wrote:Well, we knew each other so briefly. Sad to see the person who welcomed me to the forum earlier this year leave, and furthermore leave the sport altogether. Very very sad :yaynot:

While I don't want this to be a comment on your decision, Lyria (individually it absolutely is not), I must say that the continued drop off in members of the forum is serious and disturbing. In particular, many long term members who's history of discussions and enthusiasm for the sport drew me here in the first place have simply stopped posting since I joined. I know there are good and valid reasons for this and I respect that life obviously takes priority, but are we starting to get below a quorum here? The post frequency of lots of members has seriously reduced and many threads seem to have days of wind whistling through them.

My investment of time, effort and opinion is predicated on having fulfilling, fun and thought provoking discussion. If we continue to lose respected "thought leaders" from the forum, it kinda takes away the point.

Not fun. :(


I have to admit the drop off a lot of good people who I enjoyed sharing time here with has also been part of my decision leave. Over the nine years I have been here there have been lots and lots of good people who have joined and left this place and yet it's still here, I am sure it will continue to be as well. Saying that I know a lot of forums have lost members, (some have closed altogether as a result) it seems the trend is more to do with social networking sites like Facebook as I have mentioned before. That and maybe a lot of people feel like I do about the racing, who knows? Thank you for the kind words, much appreciated :thumbs:
User avatar
Lyria
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 17749
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2003 5:01 am
Location: England

Re: The Long Goodbye

Postby punky2 on Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:49 pm

So Lyria here is my plan......We contiuously post in this topic and you have to keep responding. Haha you can't leave :p
punky2
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:34 pm

Re: The Long Goodbye

Postby Funkmother on Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:00 am

LewisA wrote:
Lyria wrote:
LewisA wrote:I'm surprised that someone would leave the sport after a season as enjoyable as this. It raises two questions: how much of a fan you were in the first place, and secondly, whether this post is a brief moment of drama. I've no doubt you'll be unable to stay away from F1 fully. It doesn't work like that.



Lewis, welcome to the forum, I hope you enjoy your time here.

Just a word of warning though, you don't know me at all, how you dare ask questions like that I have no idea, do they not have manners where you come from? How much of a fan of F1 have I been? Well nine years here and the number of posts I've made, plus the fact I'm a mod here should tell you that if you bothered to look. Let me enlighten you further, I started watching F1 back in the 1980's on a casual basis, since the 1995 season I haven't missed a single race, not one. But things change in people's lives, they move on and they've changed for me. F1 isn't doing it for me anymore, if you're enjoying it, good for you but I'm not. You also don't know me enough to know that this is a decision that has been coming for well over a year now and it's not one made lightly. If I wanted a bit of drama, well there are plenty of other ways I can get that, trust me. Along with the other mods, I have access to the edit key of all members, oh and I've banned a few in my time when they have behaved in a way not fitting to this forum. It takes a lot to annoy me as most people here will tell you, but congratulations, your first direct contact with me has achieved it.


Apologies.

One thing that does puzzle me though is that you place a lot of the reason for your loss of passion on the BBC highlights. I don't find these much of an issue, because hardly any of the race is skipped anyway. The losses are more in terms of build-up and post-race discussion. So I've had little problem with it.

Anyway, just thought I'd say, because it is indeed sad to see a long term F1 fan decide to abandon the sport altogether. Once again, I'm very sorry to have annoyed you, my post was rather condescending.


Strange though that you would make such a remark. You're new here and Lyria has been here almost ten years. I respectfully submit that you know very little about her. The people here that have known her over that time will vouch for not only the enthusiasm she has had for the sport but the time and dedication she has given this forum. I know many people here will miss her contributions dearly. I am one of them.
The metaphorical inuendo flows like chalk.
User avatar
Funkmother
 
Posts: 12928
Joined: Wed May 14, 2003 5:01 am
Location: The land of the endless shore

Re: The Long Goodbye

Postby f1datavis on Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:09 pm

In Lewis' defense, while Lyria's first contact with him was on the end of a badly worded and barbed post and therefore her response appropriate, his first contact with Lyria was her saying she was sadly leaving. I think a certain amount of ignorance is expected and understandable. Are new members now expected to know everything about the forum, its history and traditions?

Furthermore, with our member count dropping quite quickly, we should take some time out to think about whether continued criticism of new and enthusiastic members is a good idea (especially since he apologised quickly and without condition), and provide some tolerance to their faux-pas.

Ultimately his reasoning and being upset was due to his enthusiasm and love of a sport this forum was set up to discuss. This is a good thing, not a bad thing. While I respect Lyria's decision and she has been a great member of this forum for a long time before I ever joined it, I too do not agree with her. If the majority do, that is fine, but we may as well tell admin to shut us down.
User avatar
f1datavis
 
Posts: 1100
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 7:01 pm
Location: Northamptonshire, UK

Re: The Long Goodbye

Postby Lyria on Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:24 pm

Would I have started this thread had I known it would cause friction, upset anyone or maybe put off newer members of the forum? Of course not and I am saddened to think that has happened. I did consider deleting the thread or locking it even but after some consideration I decided against it.

F1datavis, I had no problem with Lewis disagreeing with my decision, as I've said here lots of times over the years, this place is all about opinions and we're all entitled to our own. What upset me was more the manner with which he expressed his views. Yes he did apologise quickly for what he'd said and I accepted his apology, I don't hold a grudge either and I hope he knows that.

The thing is maybe we should all learn something from this. When we sit behind a screen and type in our views it is very easy to, A) say things you would never say to another person you don't know and wouldn't dream of saying if you did know them, or were sitting across a table from say. B) say things in one way and have them taken in a totally different way by the person on the other end of them than you intended, simply because they don't know you or your intentions at that moment.

Before making such a post as Lewis made I'd have taken a look who I was saying it to, in this case he clearly didn't which is up to him, I'm only saying what I'd have done. Of course you can't be expected to know the history of everyone in the forum, why should you? However my profile was right there by the post I made, the date I joined, the number of posts I've made, my name in big red letters because I am a mod, I am surprised he noted none of this, I would hope in similar circumstances I would before I made a judgement on someone whom to that point I didn't know.

FuMo is one of my closest friends and a fellow mod as you know, and yes, he did come to my defence as many friends would do in a similar situation, it's a natural thing. Do I want Lewis to feel he can't post here anymore? Of course I don't, I hope he will do so, I don't want this place to close down just because I've decided to call it a day, how selfish would that be? You mention the membership dropping rapidly, maybe I'm not the only one done with F1, I know of two or three other people who like me have decided to move on from the sport. Perhaps that is why numbers are less, but I also hope new fans and members will join, as with so many things you always need new blood coming into things to keep them going.

I just wanted to let you know my decision to leave, I felt owed the people here that, whether everyone agrees or not is up to them, as dear old Warweezil often says YMMV (your milage might vary) 8)
User avatar
Lyria
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 17749
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2003 5:01 am
Location: England

Re: The Long Goodbye

Postby f1datavis on Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:02 pm

From me Lyria, it is my frustration that you are leaving. I really wish you weren't and I'm not going to stick up for bad posts. Equally, I know that this is the first forum I've ever been a member of. I didn't know what mod meant, or the importance of red letters. I still don't fully know my way around the site, and have to experiment with how to put youtube videos in my posts before they happen correctly. While LewisA is probably far in advance of myself, I am just saying that assuming knowledge is not always fair.

Also, today my kids are driving me up the wall, I've got a ton of work to do, and am generally not at one with the world. Some meditation is required.
User avatar
f1datavis
 
Posts: 1100
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 7:01 pm
Location: Northamptonshire, UK

Re: The Long Goodbye

Postby Ciro Pabón on Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:11 pm

You owe nothing.

Kiss, girl. I'll miss you... but only while we find each other again.

Thanks, Lewis, your main strength could be your weaknesses (no offense intended, it happens to me all the time).

You and only you made this oddly appropriate:

From Lyria to the forum (via me)

So long and thanks for all the fish, so sad that it should come to this, I tried to warn you all but oh dear.
You may not share my intellect, which might explain your disrespect for all the natural wonders that grow around you...
The forum's about to be destroyed, there's no point getting all annoyed, lie back and let the site dissolve around you....
So long, so long, so long, so long, so long, so long, so long, so long, so long, so long... So long, so long and thanks for all the fish

Ciro

GP meliora est
User avatar
Ciro Pabón
 
Posts: 1901
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:01 am
Location: Cali, Colombia

Re: The Long Goodbye

Postby LewisA on Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:00 pm

I'm surprised this is still being discussed. Lyria and I resolved our dispute long ago. It was my fault, and I've held my hands up, apologised and accepted that. Let's move on.
Favourite team: McLaren | Favourite circuit: Monza | Favourite sport: F1!
User avatar
LewisA
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:09 pm
Location: UK

Next

Return to About the Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron

Copyright 1988-2011, Inside F1, Inc.