ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

The Long Goodbye

Your questions and suggestions about the forum

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

Re: The Long Goodbye

Postby raymondu999 on Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:05 am

Awww Lyria :yaynot:

You'll be missed. Do visit back from time to time :P
失败者找理由,成功者找方法
raymondu999

Postby RedStig on Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:03 pm

No Way!!! This is what I get for being away for awhile. :argh: Please definately don't be a stranger and here is hoping F1 get's it collective @$&* together and you find your way back. Good luck and take care---you will be missed. :clap:
RedStig

Too many "Goodbyes"......

Postby Warweezil on Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:17 pm

LewisA wrote:I'm surprised that someone would leave the sport after a season as enjoyable as this. It raises two questions: how much of a fan you were in the first place, and secondly, whether this post is a brief moment of drama. I've no doubt you'll be unable to stay away from F1 fully. It doesn't work like that.
Ok well this would seem to address others others who (Like Lyria) have felt alienated by the direction F1 has taken and the joke that is FTA coverage in the UK so as I have an opinion on this too. Not wishing to sound too abrupt but as a long time member here who now prefers to lurk occasionally to see whats happening.... and speaking as a former F1 fan......

Well lets add my take on this. I quit F1 a couple of years back - having followed it far longer than either you - or the erstwhile Mr Hamilton have been alive. The direction the sport has taken drove me away, I want my racing decided on the track.. not in the pits... decided by the most skilled brave driver not the gizmos and gadgets. How much of a fan? I knew the names of the cars before I could ever write them down! As a kid I was shocked when Clark and Mclaren died, as a fan of the man... I mourned when Rindt Died - , was sicked by the fire that burned Lauda and was stunned by the mayhem on the weekend that saw both Ratzenberger and Senna taken from us. I stayed with F1 through all of that but seeing the sterile corporate extension it has become, where personalities are all to often stifled by management and sponsor considerations, and the ordinary fans are kept at arms length while posers and corporate hangers-on who only want to be up close because it is perceived as "cool" to be around F1 are feted and welcomed into the heart of the sport - well seems to me that Gollum doesn't want ordinary folk around... that fine Bernie, poke it in the same place you keep your used rugs...

It works EXACTLY like that - when something leaves you feeling bored because it has gone in a direction that doesn't appeal to you.. and makes you feel that you are not really welcome.... you look around for something to excite you. That is why I stopped being a regular contributor here having been one of the early members of this forum - although I am sure no one missed my Rants about the state of F1 or the excesses of Gollum and Maxochist.

After more than 40 years - including some hazy childhood memories of the greats of the modern age of motor-sport - It just didn't excite me anymore. Yes I know other people who have stopped watching - being in the same position as Lyria. half a sport is as bad as no sport. F1 has made these fans feel second class and valueless. I completely understand that, and I detest Ecclestone for his greed and his deception - I'm sure people took his "always free to air" to mean that the status quo would remain - not that he would conspire with the BBC to sell the Mo'sport fans (licence payers) - that are so poorly served by the BBC - down the river again. There is far less enjoyment in watching a race that you inadvertently heard the result of. I had this proven to me last weekend when out for a meal in a pub (with a TV on) with friends to mark my progression towards senility I said to one of those present that I didn't want to know the result - I had recorded Aragon to watch later - he replied "oh I know nothing about it... just a guy on an Orange bike punching the air is all I saw"... GRRRRRRRR! at that point I knew... "Pedrosa won it". spoiled the race for me completely. :banghead:

I found my excitement... the four wheeled variety come from my local circuit where I now actually participate in motor-sport rather than just whining about the state of it.. where I can see honest racing.. fastest (and sometimes luckiest) man wins. for real edge of the seat stuff... there is Moto GP, where in the few years I have been following it I have lost count of the number of victories snatched in the last corner of the sprint to the line, races being won where they SHOULD be won... on the circuit NOT in the pits - if I wanted strategy I'd watch chess! I gotta say there are 2 bike clubs I try not to miss at my local circuit.. and even the juniors (aged 14+) have a lot to offer in the way of entertaining riding and sportsmanlike behaviour.

I should maybe thank Gollum.. he helped open my eyes to the great range of Mo'sport that exists away from F1 and many more should try it, you may see some great upcoming talent. I already consider myself lucky to have seen young Henry Surtees drive before his life was ended so tragically by a stray wheel a couple of seasons back, Ive seen Josh Hill, Fergus Walkinshaw, some of those names may ring a bell... its nice to see the younger talent coming through.

Lyria - as I said in my email - "Welcome to the Dark Side", from your reply I know you are already enjoying it immensely.

Ok thats one of my occasional rants over :hihi:

Lyria honey I don't do much forum stuff anymore, so I doubt i will be joining you elsewhere.. but I know we will keep in touch by email.. Amazingly I am still in touch with a couple of people from the PitPass Rejects days.. when I arrived here to talk to Rik, 7th clouds and Sparkly BMW Girl... oh and not fogetting "Alias".. about whom a lot of unanswered questions remain in my mind. The place isn't the same.. hell I even Still miss Vonomis and the renegade pygmy sheep and in their honour and remembrance I offer this

The renegade pygmy sheep ask, "The speed of light is 186,282 miles per second, but what is the speed of dark?"

Just My Opinion.... YMMV
Original Member no 137
The voices in my head may not be real..... but they have some damned good ideas
On Post.... Out there..... Up Close & Personal
Warweezil

Postby Warweezil on Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:25 pm

Lyria wrote:This place has been incredibly important to me for 9 long years and I have made a lot of really good friends here who I intend to keep in touch with of course. I will drop by now and again maybe to say hello but once the season is over that will pretty much be it for me. Thanks to all who have helped me to enjoy this place over the years, a lot of names come to mind of friends who have made it the best F1 forum ever for me. All the best to you all :beer: 8)

So whats wrong with the "Other Motorsports" forum? I have posted there a few times as have others, maybe its time to get a little more mileage out of that area? :armchair:
Original Member no 137
Warweezil

Postby Paul on Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:55 pm

And we forgot ya Birfdeee... Happy belated one Mate :beer:

---
Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
- Mark Twain .

---
Paul

Postby Warweezil on Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:14 pm

Paul wrote:And we forgot ya Birfdeee... Happy belated one Mate :beer:

As if I needed reminding :hihi:

Had quiet day - A meal out.. nothing on at the circuit so all in all a relaxer...

But Thanx for the belates... Im still out here lurking... from time to time.. you dont get rid of me that easily :twisted: :jester:
Original Member no 137
Warweezil

Re: Too many "Goodbyes"......

Postby Lyria on Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:46 am

Warweezil wrote:
LewisA wrote:I'm surprised that someone would leave the sport after a season as enjoyable as this. It raises two questions: how much of a fan you were in the first place, and secondly, whether this post is a brief moment of drama. I've no doubt you'll be unable to stay away from F1 fully. It doesn't work like that.
Ok well this would seem to address others others who (Like Lyria) have felt alienated by the direction F1 has taken and the joke that is FTA coverage in the UK so as I have an opinion on this too. Not wishing to sound too abrupt but as a long time member here who now prefers to lurk occasionally to see whats happening.... and speaking as a former F1 fan......

Well lets add my take on this. I quit F1 a couple of years back - having followed it far longer than either you - or the erstwhile Mr Hamilton have been alive. The direction the sport has taken drove me away, I want my racing decided on the track.. not in the pits... decided by the most skilled brave driver not the gizmos and gadgets. How much of a fan? I knew the names of the cars before I could ever write them down! As a kid I was shocked when Clark and Mclaren died, as a fan of the man... I mourned when Rindt Died - , was sicked by the fire that burned Lauda and was stunned by the mayhem on the weekend that saw both Ratzenberger and Senna taken from us. I stayed with F1 through all of that but seeing the sterile corporate extension it has become, where personalities are all to often stifled by management and sponsor considerations, and the ordinary fans are kept at arms length while posers and corporate hangers-on who only want to be up close because it is perceived as "cool" to be around F1 are feted and welcomed into the heart of the sport - well seems to me that Gollum doesn't want ordinary folk around... that fine Bernie, poke it in the same place you keep your used rugs...

It works EXACTLY like that - when something leaves you feeling bored because it has gone in a direction that doesn't appeal to you.. and makes you feel that you are not really welcome.... you look around for something to excite you. That is why I stopped being a regular contributor here having been one of the early members of this forum - although I am sure no one missed my Rants about the state of F1 or the excesses of Gollum and Maxochist.

After more than 40 years - including some hazy childhood memories of the greats of the modern age of motor-sport - It just didn't excite me anymore. Yes I know other people who have stopped watching - being in the same position as Lyria. half a sport is as bad as no sport. F1 has made these fans feel second class and valueless. I completely understand that, and I detest Ecclestone for his greed and his deception - I'm sure people took his "always free to air" to mean that the status quo would remain - not that he would conspire with the BBC to sell the Mo'sport fans (licence payers) - that are so poorly served by the BBC - down the river again. There is far less enjoyment in watching a race that you inadvertently heard the result of. I had this proven to me last weekend when out for a meal in a pub (with a TV on) with friends to mark my progression towards senility I said to one of those present that I didn't want to know the result - I had recorded Aragon to watch later - he replied "oh I know nothing about it... just a guy on an Orange bike punching the air is all I saw"... GRRRRRRRR! at that point I knew... "Pedrosa won it". spoiled the race for me completely. :banghead:

I found my excitement... the four wheeled variety come from my local circuit where I now actually participate in motor-sport rather than just whining about the state of it.. where I can see honest racing.. fastest (and sometimes luckiest) man wins. for real edge of the seat stuff... there is Moto GP, where in the few years I have been following it I have lost count of the number of victories snatched in the last corner of the sprint to the line, races being won where they SHOULD be won... on the circuit NOT in the pits - if I wanted strategy I'd watch chess! I gotta say there are 2 bike clubs I try not to miss at my local circuit.. and even the juniors (aged 14+) have a lot to offer in the way of entertaining riding and sportsmanlike behaviour.

I should maybe thank Gollum.. he helped open my eyes to the great range of Mo'sport that exists away from F1 and many more should try it, you may see some great upcoming talent. I already consider myself lucky to have seen young Henry Surtees drive before his life was ended so tragically by a stray wheel a couple of seasons back, Ive seen Josh Hill, Fergus Walkinshaw, some of those names may ring a bell... its nice to see the younger talent coming through.

Lyria - as I said in my email - "Welcome to the Dark Side", from your reply I know you are already enjoying it immensely.

Ok thats one of my occasional rants over :hihi:

Lyria honey I don't do much forum stuff anymore, so I doubt i will be joining you elsewhere.. but I know we will keep in touch by email.. Amazingly I am still in touch with a couple of people from the PitPass Rejects days.. when I arrived here to talk to Rik, 7th clouds and Sparkly BMW Girl... oh and not fogetting "Alias".. about whom a lot of unanswered questions remain in my mind. The place isn't the same.. hell I even Still miss Vonomis and the renegade pygmy sheep and in their honour and remembrance I offer this

The renegade pygmy sheep ask, "The speed of light is 186,282 miles per second, but what is the speed of dark?"

Just My Opinion.... YMMV

Warweezil, I'm not going to lose touch with you, no way :) You hit the nail on the head and yes, I am enjoying the new challenge of motogp instead I have to admit, I've seen exactly three races so far, four after today ;) and I'm already hooked. Am I sad that I have lost the enthusiasm for F1 I used to feel? Damn right I am, but it's gone and I don't know how to get it back. It's something that's been coming on for a long time and I have hit the point of no return I suspect. Will I miss it next year? Maybe but I seriously doubt it somehow, and even if I do, I doubt it will be enough to make me go back to watching it.
Lyria

Postby Warweezil on Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:11 pm

Well I just posted something MotoGP-ish in "Other Motorsports".... care to join in and share your views as someone with "new eyes" on the sport?
Original Member no 137
Warweezil

Postby Lawrence on Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:09 pm

You know, I've let most of this season go by without watching either. That is part of the reason I have not been posting. I also don't like some of things going on in F1. I'm still not sold on the DRS, push to pass buttons, or the mandated tire changes. I still don't like the sport dominated by large corporations versus race teams. But...I have found over the years that taking a season away from F1 does sort of renew one's interest. I have stepped away from it before (I can hardly recall the 1992 season and a couple of those Senna vs Prost seasons). I have also been cheating on F1 and following another sport (hockey).

In the end, F1 through a series of accidents is the most curious and interesting sports series out there. Led by odd characters, filled with lots of surprising and hard to believe events, personalities you won't see elsewhere, amazing engineering, amazing cars and the best drivers in the world (yes, I know some disagree with that last part....but lets not have that debate again). In the end, there is nothing else like it and sometimes the racing gets pretty damn good. So, I don't like the currrent contrived nature of it and I don't like the big corporation take-over of it, but it is still F1 and still better than anything else out there (if you think F1 is contrived...look at NASCAR !!!).

So yea, I'll be back. Probably even go to a race next year. It is a sport I have been addicted to for decades, even if I tire of it at times, sometimes get disgusted with it, and wish it were a little bit different.

Anyhow, understand Lyria's view.
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Mafia on Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:36 pm

Message from MAFIA to pretty lady.

I know you are very pretty but.... Maf got to say this...

If you leave, We will find you

and rest assure...... Image
Tough Luck!
Mafia

Postby Lyria on Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:26 pm

Thanks Maf :x
Lyria

Postby Adam on Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:18 pm

Actually I found it surprisingly easy to leave the forum. The instant Paul di Resta hit the wall on the penultimate lap in Brazil and the result was guaranteed by the Safety Car, I switched off and didn't read a thing about F1 for about three days.

Clearly if I can't accept Vettel as a three-time world champion, as opposed to a jumped-up little brat who relies on his car to pull him to victory over superior drivers, then I just don't deserve to call myself a fan of the sport. It does me no good to cause myself frustration and misery when I needn't. I think I will probably watch highlights of each race after the fact in 2013, but there is no desire for anything more (the Hamilton/McLaren split may also have played a part in it).

Well, it's been a nice ride but I don't see much of my being present here in the future. Thanks to all, good luck to the new moderators, and I hope this place continues to thrive. I'm off to pastures new, away from F1, away from sport even. There's too much of life still to explore at my age. :paul:

Ta ra,

Adam :propeller:
"You can always count on Adam for being the smart-arse around here."
~Dev, 10th August 2010

"...officially the biggest geek on this forum. Congratulations. :clap: "
~snowman, 21st August 2011
Adam

Postby Paul on Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:24 pm

Maybe you can find a sport that Scots are good at Adam :rotflmao:

---
Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
- Mark Twain .

---
Paul

Postby andrew. on Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:52 pm

Scots are only good at drinking and even then we'd probably get beaten by everyone should it every become an Olympic sport! :rotflmao:

Lyria reminds me of someone from another forum who disappeared without any explanation and was (and still is) very much missed.
andrew.

Postby LewisA on Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:23 am

andrew. wrote:Scots are only good at drinking and even then we'd probably get beaten by everyone should it every become an Olympic sport! :rotflmao:

Lyria reminds me of someone from another forum who disappeared without any explanation and was (and still is) very much missed.

EwanM?
Favourite team: McLaren | Favourite circuit: Monza | Favourite sport: F1!
LewisA

PreviousNext

Return to About the Forum