ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

INDYCAR 2012

Talk about other disciplines of motorsports around the world

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

Re: INDYCAR 2012

Postby Sinister on Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:41 pm

I still insist South Africa isn't 300km west of Brussels. :eerie: :eerie:
The Master Of Mind Games and the undisputed King Of Groaners :clap:

Things can only get worse.
Sinister

Postby southermagu on Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:44 am

Cougar wrote:I'm not familiar with the US Motor Racing scene however it is interesting to see a South African listed among the speculative drivers for Lotus.

Tomas Scheckter is the son of the 1979 F1 WDC - Jody Scheckter

Tomas is also absurdly fast in an Indycar, when he can keep it on the track.

Tomas' most memorable moment in Indycar was winning at Michigan in 2002, in a race in which team owner Eddie Cheever looked to sandbag his outgoing driver with lesser equipment and relatively less skilled crew. The quality stuff went to Buddy Rice and Cheever himself.

Cheever crashed out and Scheckter beat his coddled teammate for his first win.

Scheckter has proven incredibly fast, but inconsistently so. This is to say nothing of his unique ability to crash, seemingly without provocation.
southermagu

Postby grunf77 on Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:57 pm

On ovals Scheckter is always competitive, while on road in street courses he's average at best.
He was Jaguar test driver and then he got involved in some scandal that ended his story in F1.

In other news ''the Mile'' is officially back on calendar while Ed Carpenter secured his ride.
Listen, it was hard enough to drive those heavy old cars back then under normal circumstances, but with a crazed monkey clawing you at the same time, it becomes nearly impossible! http://www.timflock.com/jocko.htm
grunf77

Postby Funkmother on Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:34 am

Yeah, if I recall correctly, a blood test revealed THC in his system.
The metaphorical inuendo flows like chalk.
Funkmother

Postby grunf77 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:42 pm

Funkmother wrote:Yeah, if I recall correctly, a blood test revealed THC in his system.

Wiki says something about prostitutes...

In the news:

There are some testing right now at Texas oval, we'll see how it goes for new DW 12.
Listen, it was hard enough to drive those heavy old cars back then under normal circumstances, but with a crazed monkey clawing you at the same time, it becomes nearly impossible! http://www.timflock.com/jocko.htm
grunf77

Postby Funkmother on Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:04 pm

Yeah, Rubens has tested too and the team is impressed with him. He needs money to get a race seat though.
Funkmother

Postby Lawrence on Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:10 pm

grunf77 wrote:I see you'll hit 7777 soon, that's like lucky or something. :propeller:

Well...took a while.
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Lawrence on Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:11 pm

grunf77 wrote:I will not ask where have you been all this time, but just will you be here little more often!? :emo:

Working on it....no drama at this end, just work issues I have not completely sorted out yet.
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Lawrence on Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:21 pm

southermagu wrote:Scheckter has proven incredibly fast, but inconsistently so. This is to say nothing of his unique ability to crash, seemingly without provocation.

Yea, that's about right. Because of all the yellow flags, the strategies, the changing set ups on ovals, the point system, consistency is pretty important in Indy Cars. So a lot of these fast young bucks show up from Europe (or 300 km west of Brussels) and impress everyone with their speed and not much else. In the end, the top drivers in Indy Car racing are usually not people that are going to be top drivers in F1 (exceptions: Villeneuve and Montoya), because of the emphasis in the series on consistency over speed. On the other hand, someone like Barrichello may do just fine.
Lawrence

Postby grunf77 on Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:11 pm

Spotter guide for St Petersburg:
http://www.indycar.com/media/files/01-STP-SpotterGuide1.pdf

(Rubens has a comb-over. :p )
grunf77

Postby Funkmother on Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:21 pm

Looks as though you need a media login to access that PDF. :confused:
Funkmother

Postby nik on Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:06 pm

I am enjoying indy racing for the first time in years. Like the new cars. Like the new schedule. Like seeing Rubens. Too bad the track fell apart in Detroit. That could have been a great race.
nik

Postby IanK on Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:45 am

nik wrote:Like seeing Rubens.

It's nice to see him get a ride. It's just too bad that he could be #2 at a one-car team.
f1datavis wrote:Alonso looking god-like right now.
IanK

Postby Funkmother on Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:46 am

I haven't caught any Indy car this year. Maybe I should do so.
Funkmother

Postby f1datavis on Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:57 pm

Loving IRL this year. Uber-competitive, and in a few years F1 will have bodywork around the rears too, so I am training myself to love the look of the cars early.
f1datavis

PreviousNext

Return to Other Motorsports