ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

Great Indy 500 this year...

Talk about other disciplines of motorsports around the world

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

Great Indy 500 this year...

Postby f1datavis on Sun May 27, 2012 8:25 pm

As always, the Indy 500 produced a great race. Takuma Sato was so close to an upset, just mistimed that last pass on the last lap to stick it in the wall. :banghead:

Congrats to Dario...
f1datavis

Re: Great Indy 500 this year...

Postby Funkmother on Mon May 28, 2012 5:05 am

Isn't that the story of Taku's life?
The metaphorical inuendo flows like chalk.
Funkmother

Postby f1datavis on Mon May 28, 2012 9:33 am

Maybe - but he beat the pants off of Barrichello, Bourdais (ha!) and other F1 alumni. Taku had a suberb race to be up there after 200 laps. 3 corners from the flag, he gave it a go. Hats off to a superb do or die attempt...

Also to Franchitti for yet another Indy win - turning into one the all time great UK motorsport legends.
f1datavis

Postby southermagu on Mon May 28, 2012 11:33 am

This really was a great 500.

But I'm kind of disappointed that a lot of people keep saying Sato blew it with that attempted pass into the first turn. Sato did blow it by not backing off more once he got there, but the move was a sound decision.

Franchiti went to defend knowing full well that he was giving Sato a choice between making the move and likely failing (probably sending both into the wall) or backing off and likely finishing no better than third. Apparently Franchiti hasn't noticed that Sato is Japanese. As a rule, if you leave enough room for a car to fit alongside you there will inevitably be a car alongside you. No way was he going to do anything but go to the inside at that point and I'm glad he did that.

Still, I don't fault Dario for doing that. That guy is out there playing chess while everyone else is playing checkers.

Except for Sato, who is apparently playing Chess Boxing.
southermagu

Postby Adam on Mon May 28, 2012 12:22 pm

So much blinkered rage in the YouTube comments regarding the last lap crash. For my two cents, Franchitti left no LESS than one car width on the inside, as he is obliged to do, and no MORE than one car width, as he is entitled to do. Sato made a bold overtaking attempt, lost grip on the painted white line (which doesn't count as him being pushed off the track) and spun himself out with no assistance from Franchitti whatsoever. Unfortunate for Sato, but perfectly fair racing. I also saw the Conway/Power/Castroneves shunt - glad to see that all were unharmed in that nasty incident.
"You can always count on Adam for being the smart-arse around here."
~Dev, 10th August 2010

"...officially the biggest geek on this forum. Congratulations. :clap: "
~snowman, 21st August 2011
Adam

Postby f1datavis on Mon May 28, 2012 3:01 pm

Yeah - I don't think there was any hard feelings in the race, IMHO no blame towards anyone - just brilliant hard racing. Full respect to Sato for giving it a go. Better to try and fail than to settle for second. Every single time.
f1datavis

Postby Funkmother on Tue May 29, 2012 1:23 am

f1datavis wrote:... Bourdais ...

Poor Sebastian. Peugeot pulled the rug out from under his Le Mans hopes. I'm sure he looks more sour than ever.
Funkmother

Postby f1datavis on Tue May 29, 2012 8:44 pm

Funkmother wrote:
f1datavis wrote:... Bourdais ...

Poor Sebastian. Peugeot pulled the rug out from under his Le Mans hopes. I'm sure he looks more sour than ever.

Do you think he cried? :hypocrite:
f1datavis

Postby Funkmother on Wed May 30, 2012 1:03 am

Well, it wouldn't surprise me. For all the great driving I've seen him do at Le Mans, if I'm honest, I'd have to say he's still a whiney bastard. Honestly, I've never seen anyone look so disappointed at getting a podium in the 24H. :loser:

Actually, his compatriots Stephane Sarrazin and Simon Pagenaud (Note to U.S. citizens, Simon with a short "i". :eerie: ) have been more impressive.
Funkmother

Return to Other Motorsports