ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

Moto GP Boring?

Talk about other disciplines of motorsports around the world

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

Moto GP Boring?

Postby Warweezil on Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:40 pm

Valentino Rossi has called Moto Gp Boring in an interview published by BBC sport.
"Now is the worst moment in MotoGP since I joined in 2000," "You look at Moto3, the races are very exciting, Moto2 is fantastic and then MotoGP is boring. So they have to change the product."
2 of the quotes attributed to him.

He makes some valid points. Currently we have what is in effect a 2 manufacturer championship, it would be nice to see Suzuki, Kawasaki, Triumph and BMW put in some prototype machines. Right now in effect it is a battle between Honda and Yamaha, now don't get me wrong, I enjoy a lot of the riding I see at this level, but I have to agree with The Doctor", other manufacturers joining the grid would certainly throw something else into the post. Yes we do have CRT teams running BMW Aprilia Kawka.. but what I think is needed are factory teams to challenge the "usual suspects" that usually walk away with the glory, and to spread out the more senior/experienced riders and let a few more guys come through from the lower series.

We Know the Ducati is a nail, and I say that as someone who has loved their machines right back to the 70's, but the current chassis only seems to work in the wet, which may be OK for club racing in Britain :D but isnt any good for an international series - so right now - in effect its a 2 horse race...

I guess the question is - "Should Dorna be doing more to encourage more factory entrants from a wider manufacturer base?"

Discuss?
Original Member no 137
The voices in my head may not be real..... but they have some damned good ideas
On Post.... Out there..... Up Close & Personal
Warweezil

Re: Moto GP Boring?

Postby Lyria on Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:17 pm

The short answer to that is yes ;) But I suspect you want more than that don't you?

It could do with some more overtaking and probably a more level playing field. The top two teams are clearly head and shoulders above the others and it means you tune in sort of knowing within reason who will win the race. A guy I was talking to was telling me he could probably already tell me who would win the championship net year and probably the year after too. Rossi is correct the racing isn't as exciting as it could be, a lot of people tell me it was better a few years ago, in fact I don't think there's one person I've spoken to who hasn't said that. What they need to do is work out why it went wrong and reverse that, if possible of course.

Saying that if you tune into F1 for the most part you probably have a pretty good idea of who will win as well, I could have put forward four names before the start of the season this year and been pretty confident one of them would be world champion, so in that respect it's not so different.

Motogp needs to find something to get more action into the sport, I just hope they don't come up with artificial ways like F1 have with the DRS system and tyres. Thankfully they can't use those kinds of things in motogp but you know what I mean. I am still enjoying the racing though, very much so but yes, it could be better. Knowing that and actually making it happen are two very different things though aren't they?
Lyria

Postby Paul on Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:37 pm

FWW I find the MOTO 2 race more eciting that the Main Event a lot of the time. 8)

---
Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
- Mark Twain .

---
Paul

Postby Warweezil on Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:25 pm

Moto 2 - very valid point.

The series may benefit from having a couple of ex Moto GP riders in Kalio and Elias amongst its line up. I have seen some cracking Moto2 races, and its nice to know its not me that has to pick up the pieces when it all goes pear-shaped.

We have "Wild Card" Riders.... so why not a "wild card" circuit? Once a year, tack on an extra weekend put 6 different venues in a hat and have a draw made either by the previous or current Champion.. and take the series somewhere where Moto GP doesn't normally go, even to test, Let the guys spend a few days coming to terms with a totally different circuit than the usual year in year out calendar. that might throw up some interesting results - depends who it the quickest learner. I mean have the teams pitch up there with pretty much NO data about the track and let then set up from scratch rather than referring back to data sets from the last few years to base a set up on. There are plenty of venues around the world that would welcome a series like this. and it would add a touch of uncertainty.

Just My Opinion.... YMMV
Original Member no 137
Warweezil

Postby Paul on Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:47 pm

One Word..
BRANDS 8)

---
- Mark Twain .

---
Paul

Postby Warweezil on Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:32 pm

Grand Prix circuit of course - The Indy Layout is too short.

Once a circuit had been chosen it would be ineligible for 2 or 3 years and another circuit would be substituted in the draw from the same country

So If Brands was chosen - it would be withdrawn from the draw after that and .... say..... Oulton Park substituted.

Be a decent way of adding a joker to the pack as well as spreading the sport to different venues places like Mondello Park (IMHO greatly underrated given the different layouts available) European Venues like Dijon, Oschersleben, Zolder.. places like that

Oh well.... I can Dream :armchair:
Original Member no 137
Warweezil

Postby Paul on Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:59 pm

Typical Bollocks as usual Grrrr :argh:

Of course Oulton would be and is a great Moto track though. If Brit Superbikes can use it and Brands, why not Moto :beer:

---
- Mark Twain .

---
Paul

Postby Warweezil on Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:02 pm

Hello DORNA!!!!!! are you listening? :rotflmao:
Original Member no 137
Warweezil

Postby Paul on Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:19 pm

:hihi: At least its not fekin Bernie ;)

Thanks for the funny texts BTW.. I really have to but ten peee credit on me phone :paul:

---
- Mark Twain .

---
Paul

Postby Warweezil on Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:18 pm

Its no problem mate... I just spread the happy as much as I can.

Looks like we have this thread to ourselves - although I seem to have a skill as thread killer these days.. I post somewhere and the thread dies :clown:
Original Member no 137
Warweezil

Postby Paul on Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:24 pm

HAHHAHAA well then Two thread killers is probably a good thing then :rotflmao:
I do that all over the web ;)

---
- Mark Twain .

---
Paul

Postby Lyria on Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:09 am

Sorry, meant to come back here and post, didn't get around to it :shy:

The racing could do with something to make it more competitive and to allow more passing. Saying that Bradl, Bautista and Dovizioso had a hell of a scrap today didn't they? If only all the racing was that close.

How they can improve it? I don't know, but they did mention new rules or something coming in for 2014, I confess I haven't yet looked up what they are but maybe they will make things better. It comes to something when the riders are bored though doesn't it?

Anyway, right now I'm very happy, Cal got a podium and I'm grinning ear to ear :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:

Lyria

Postby Ciro Pabón on Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:45 pm

Well, what can I say. I did as Paul: watched Moto GP and F1 at the same time. Glad a spaniard came ahead, I thought it was going to be Pedrosa. Next time, maybe.
Ciro

GP meliora est
Ciro Pabón

Postby Paul on Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:14 am

Twas nice to see Casey show just what an inceredible rider he is today.
Shame Danny got shafted, but Lorenzo earned the championship, and hopefully will show Rossi who is boss next season :beer:

---
- Mark Twain .

---
Paul

Postby Lawrence on Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:19 pm

I understand that someone on this board claims that it is better than F1.
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Next

Return to Other Motorsports