ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

Formula E Raicng september 2014

Talk about other disciplines of motorsports around the world

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

Re: Formula E Raicng september 2014

Postby Lawrence on Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:03 pm

Yea, this is a cost controlled operation. Each car costs $350,000 Euro (I gather a team needs four), and they are not allowed to change the design of the car, so I am guessing you can run a team on a few million a year.

So this may be a good building block, but they are clearly going to have to improve it in the following year. The main thing the series has going for it now is lots of known drivers and known names (Andretti, Prost, Senna, Piquet, Penske) in the field. One can't argue about the marketing value of having a Prost flip Heidfeld on a last lap fight.

But yea, right now, it is sort of a junior novelty series.
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Lyria on Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:40 pm

Don't forget the excitement of Hollywood superstar Leo Di Caprio being co-owner of a team. If that doesn't add glamour to the sport I don't know what will ;)

Prost has apologised for the crash and the stewards have given a ten place grid penalty for the next race. So yeah, definitely his fault.

There are ten races, one venue hasn't even been announced yet and it's supposed to come to the streets of London in June next year. Well as I understand it, the law that allows them to race on the streets here still hasn't been passed. So whether that will happen or not is still open to debate I'd say.
Lyria

Postby Lawrence on Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:59 pm

I don't think grid position matters as much In this series as with gasoline powered cars.

An electric car racing series is unique. I think this is the first.
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Lyria on Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:22 pm

Lawrence wrote:I don't think grid position matters as much In this series as with gasoline powered cars.

An electric car racing series is unique. I think this is the first.

I doubt it will be the last either. I am not sure how well it will take off though based on the first race. I am sure some people will love it, but it's not for everyone. The idea is good, I just think they should have waited until the technology was good enough to have a proper race in one car, even using two cars it was a short race compared to most other series.
Lyria

Postby Lawrence on Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:41 pm

I am sure if they let the teams develop the engines...they will get there soon. This is a classic case where racing can improve the breed.

We shall see what the do for 2015. Right now it is a spec series.
Lawrence

Postby Lawrence on Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:53 pm

Watched the Formula E race in Malaysia. Good to see some of those drivers back in action. We actually had a Trulli train, a Senna passing a Prost, and a Senna and a Piquet crashing. Sam Bird was impressive.

Anyhow. It is a good start. Obviously for the series to go forward they need 1) to lower the sounds of the engines, 2) speed up the cars (max speed is only around 140), 3) allow some car development and design, and 4) Get it so they can run one car through the whole race....but I think it is a start to a series that could (should?) become a permanent fixture.
Lawrence

Postby Lyria on Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:12 pm

Frank Montagny has been a naughty boy!!! :noway: He's been found to have taken a derivative of Cocaine whilst racing in the Malaysia and that's why he didn't race in Uruguay, he wasn't ill at all like he claimed he was.

I'm guessing his racing career is well and truly over now.
Lyria

Postby Lawrence on Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:34 pm

is cocaine a performance enhancing drug or just a recreational one? If it is not performance enhancing, not sure why this is FIA's concern.
Lawrence

Postby Lyria on Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:59 pm

Lawrence wrote:is cocaine a performance enhancing drug or just a recreational one? If it is not performance enhancing, not sure why this is FIA's concern.

I don't think what the drugs do for you is the point, it's more they don't want any drivers to be on illegal drugs and driving, it has to impair your judgement to some degree and it's not exactly a good example to set is it?
Lyria

Postby Lawrence on Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:55 pm

Lyria wrote:I don't think what the drugs do for you is the point, it's more they don't want any drivers to be on illegal drugs and driving, it has to impair your judgement to some degree and it's not exactly a good example to set is it?

But if he was drinking, it would be fine?
Lawrence

Postby Lawrence on Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:19 am

Am I the only one still following Formula E?

The race last week started with 14 former F1 drivers....which I think is more than started the F1 race last week.
Lawrence

Postby Lyria on Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:04 pm

Okay, the latest former F1 driver to join Formula E, only Jacques Villeneuve :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm afraid I can't watch it, but good luck to my boy (and I use that term loosely ;) ) :thumbs: I'll be keeping an eye on how he does and hoping he can show these youngsters how it's done :reallyevil:

Full story: http://www.motorsport.com/formula-e/new ... ve-racing/?
Lyria

Postby Sebas9031 on Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:20 pm

I am very excited to see this year's formula E season. If the first one brought excitement with Piquet and Sebastien fighting for the Championship until the last race, this year will be more exciting as a couple of great drivers join the circuit. Villeneuve will certainly come out strong out of the gate, as he mentioned in the interview that Lyria posted, he is here to race because he loves it. An interesting point he made is that all the other series are trying to slow down their cars, however Formula E is at a stage where is the other way around, which in my opinion it creates more excitement for both the driver and the viewer.

Also I want to share a new cool feature that Formula E has introduce to increase their fan engagement during the race, real-time fanboost will allow fans to vote for their favourite driver as soon as the race starts. A side from the racing part of formula E, the technological integration of the serie is a huge attractive for me.

Here is more on real-time Fanboost:
http://www.motorsport.com/formula-e/new ... -fanboost/
Sebas9031

Postby Lyria on Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:45 am

Welcome to the forum Sebas :dance: :sun: 8) I hope you enjoy your time here.

I tried to watch Formula E, I was excited to see it, but I have health issues and the noise of the cars just seems to be at a pitch I can't stand. I either watch it with no sound on, which is pointless, or I don't get to watch it at all sadly. That's a real shame as I'd love to see Jacques Villeneuve racing again, I think he's going to be really awesome!!

I'll be keeping an eye on the results I can assure you 8)
Lyria

Postby Sebas9031 on Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:24 pm

Lyria wrote:Welcome to the forum Sebas :dance: :sun: 8) I hope you enjoy your time here.

I tried to watch Formula E, I was excited to see it, but I have health issues and the noise of the cars just seems to be at a pitch I can't stand. I either watch it with no sound on, which is pointless, or I don't get to watch it at all sadly. That's a real shame as I'd love to see Jacques Villeneuve racing again, I think he's going to be really awesome!!

I'll be keeping an eye on the results I can assure you 8)

Lyria thank you for your reply.

I certainly will enjoy to see Jacques race again too. Hope you can watch the races again.
Sebas9031

PreviousNext

Return to Other Motorsports