ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

The King Of Pop - Gone Too Soon.

Talk about things which don't fit elsewhere

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

Re: The King Of Pop - Gone Too Soon.

Postby Sinister on Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:00 pm

Lyria wrote:Well I was alive when both Elvis Presley and John Lennon died

Me too. Damn we are OLD! :shy: :rotflmao:
The Master Of Mind Games and the undisputed King Of Groaners :clap:

Things can only get worse.
Sinister

Postby Sinister on Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:04 pm

A fight broke out on a Florida bus when news of Michael Jackson's death sparked debate over whether he should be remembered as a great musical talent, and one passenger was charged with assault, police said on Friday.

The bus was moving through the city of North Lauderdale on Thursday when passenger James Kiernan received a text message about Jackson's death on his cell phone, and he read it aloud on the bus, the Broward County Sheriff's Department said.

The unidentified bus driver opined that "Michael Jackson should have been in jail long ago," prompting Kiernan, 60, to retort that "the world just lost a great musical talent," the police report said.

It said the last remark enraged another passenger, Henry Wideman, who started a swearing match with Kiernan, then pulled out a knife and chased Kiernan down the aisle with it.

The driver called his dispatcher and pulled over near a convenience store to wait for sheriff's deputies, who arrested Wideman, 54. He remained in jail on Friday on a charge of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.

This proves Jackson haters are a bunch of low-life scumbags. :loser: :loser:
The Master Of Mind Games and the undisputed King Of Groaners :clap:

Things can only get worse.
Sinister

Postby Lawrence on Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:31 am

Well Sinister, hate to get into it, but while he did win a not-guilty verdict I think a lot (most?) who even casually followed the trail assumed he was guilty both then and with his previous multi-million $$$ payout to a kid. There were reasons he didn't do his comeback tour in the US.

Since the first controversy in 1993, and certainly after the 2005 trail, Jackson's market has been primarily overseas.

He is controversial, and sad to say those controversies are of his own making. He is pretty discredited over here. You don't see a big public outpouring in the US, although he has taken over all of our news channels. I am sure there will be more scandalous stuff.
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Lyria on Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:59 am

Wherever there is a case like this you will have those who believe he was guilty and those who believe he wasn't. Personally I believe he was innocent but that is just my opinion, none of us know the real facts or were there to see what actually happened.

Given all the coverage and personal accounts of other celebs who knew and trusted him I went with the not guilty verdict in my own mind but there you go, I may be wrong, I may not, that's just how I took it.

No matter what you think of him, he has a family and a lot of friends who are grieving his loss right now plus he has kids who have lost their daddy. It's them I feel most sorry for and to call him names at this time is only hurting them. I am thinking they have enough to deal with right now without all this.
Lyria

Postby Dev on Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:42 am

I'm not even going to get into a debate about his turbulent life. I can accept that not everyone is a fan, and some people are convinced he committed criminal behaviour, but thats not what I will remember for. He was a outstanding entertained, a man who tried to make up for his lost childhood in certain ways that maybe not everyone approves, but his intentions were good. I (and others) will mourn the loss of a great talent, a man who has touched so many lives, not just with his music but also his acts of kindness.

I will end this post with this, his performance of Heal The World at the 1993 Super Bowl event.

Alcohol isn't a problem, it's a solution... Just ask any chemist.
Dev

Postby Adam on Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:58 pm

I add my own condolences and respects. Hope you're feeling a bit more upbeat soon, Dev and Sin. :|

I make it a habit to check the headlines on BBC News 24 last thing before I go to bed, just in case something big has occurred. On this occasion, I was proven right, and I spent the next hour or so watching the story unfolding (Lawrence, from the thousands of people swarming around the hospital after his death I would have to disagree with your view). It has taken a couple of days to sink in, which took me by surprise in itself. I wasn't even born when he released any of his three major solo albums, but I can perceive his influence everywhere in modern music. I mean, this man practically invented MTV!

I also sympathise to an extent with his personal issues, and can only applaud someone who can maintain such a childlike innocence with all of the controversy and accusations whirling around him. As a mark of respect I spent the last couple of days learning sections of the dance from Thriller, which I then performed at a friend's 18th birthday party to great acclaim ;)

And Strad, words almost fail me. If I am right he was cleared of any and all criminal charges, and if you disagree with that, you are sceptical of the justice system that is meant to catch bonafide paedophiles in the first place. Show some respect, sir.
"You can always count on Adam for being the smart-arse around here."
~Dev, 10th August 2010

"...officially the biggest geek on this forum. Congratulations. :clap: "
~snowman, 21st August 2011
Adam

Postby strad on Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:32 pm

On occasion, strad, it's ok not to say everything that pops into your head.

His pedophilia far outweighs any talent or contribution to the music scene..He was pervert and I for one (of many) will certainly NOT mourn his passing.
I'm not sure I can think of anything lower than a pedophile
Y'all better tie kerosene soaked rags around your ankles, to keep the ants from crawlin up your legs and eating your candy asses
strad

Postby MikaPup on Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:51 pm

Not the point, dude. You need to learn how to practice some semblance of decent manners.
MikaPup

Postby strad on Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:04 am

BAH!!!!!
Y'all better tie kerosene soaked rags around your ankles, to keep the ants from crawlin up your legs and eating your candy asses
strad

Postby Funkmother on Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:40 am

That's a shame. I just chose not to comment on the subject.
The metaphorical inuendo flows like chalk.
Funkmother

Postby Lyria on Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:25 am

strad wrote:
His pedophilia far outweighs any talent or contribution to the music scene..He was pervert and I for one (of many) will certainly NOT mourn his passing.
I'm not sure I can think of anything lower than a pedophile

IF he was a paedophile, and that is a very big if, I'd agree with you completely, I hopestly would, I'd never listen to music by Gary Glitter for example given what he is.

Thing is it was never proved he was, as I say I truly believe he wasn't, but I can see your point Strad. I just don't think this is the place to be putting that point of view right now is all.
Lyria

Postby Dev on Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:16 am

Adam wrote:I add my own condolences and respects. Hope you're feeling a bit more upbeat soon, Dev and Sin. :|

Thanks mate.

Its easy to accuse him of messing up kids, he does spend a lot of time with them. Of course his way of thinking is very childlike, and unconventional by normal standards.
Alcohol isn't a problem, it's a solution... Just ask any chemist.
Dev

Postby Lawrence on Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:49 am

Adam wrote:awrence, from the thousands of people swarming around the hospital after his death I would have to disagree with your view

Well, I saw hundreds on the TV. It doesn't have the same feel as when Elvis or especially when John Lennon passed away.

I mean, this man practically invented MTV!

MTV was already a big hit when he arrived. What he brought back was dance. The man was a brilliant dancer, and rightly compared to Fred Astair at the time. That I think will be his real legacy. He didn't really do anything revolutionary with music.

And Strad, words almost fail me. If I am right he was cleared of any and all criminal charges...

In 1994 he paid off the family of a 13-year old boy something like 22-23 million dollars to drop the case. This was the case that probably would have resulted in a conviction. But the family withdrew from the case. The boy did describe Jackson's private parts and according to the lead detective, this did match. So...you can take it for what its worth, but even his sister Latoya at the time said he was guilty (she later changed her claim).
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:14 pm

Dev wrote:There are always people who derive pleasure from other peoples' misery. Its best I dont say any more.

Just to be clear, I do not take any pleasure in any fan's misery.

Sinister wrote:This proves Jackson haters are a bunch of low-life scumbags. :loser: :loser:

No, it demonstrates that this particular Jackson hater was a low-life scumbag. I am very much a 'hater', but I am not a low-life scumbag. I'm much more of a garden-variety scumbag.

Fail to Sinister for painting with such broad strokes. :sinister: :loser:

Adam wrote:(Lawrence, from the thousands of people swarming around the hospital after his death I would have to disagree with your view).

Don't forget that in this city we interrupt television programming to show live coverage of car chases, and every local station has a dedicated entertainment reporter.

This is undoubtedly a big story, especially so in the entertainment industry, just like Anna Nicole's death.

Contrast this with, say, the death of Ayrton Senna. The urban legend was that from his death Sunday until after his funeral the following Tuesday (or Wednesday?) there was not one violent crime reported in the city of Sao Paolo. It shook the foundation of the culture. Jackson's death is causing some f'ed up traffic in and around UCLA and the coroner's office. That's about it.

Adam wrote:I mean, this man practically invented MTV!

Duran Duran had a far greater impact on the initial growth of MTV, altho the "Thriller" video remains a watershed.
"S**t, p**s, f**k, c**t", c**ksucker, motherf**ker and t*ts" -- George Carlin
tifosi77

Postby anakzaman... on Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:36 am

Lawrence wrote:
I mean, this man practically invented MTV!

MTV was already a big hit when he arrived. What he brought back was dance. The man was a brilliant dancer, and rightly compared to Fred Astair at the time. That I think will be his real legacy. He didn't really do anything revolutionary with music.

MJ didn't invent MTV, however MJ used MTV (or was it MTV that used MJ) to reach a worldwide audience and make their name a household name. MTV and MJ both became big because of each other. I can think of a couple music videos before Thriller (mostly Duran Duran - as tif pointed out), but Thriller set the standard of music videos.

As for his music, well Thriller for me is still the perfect pop album and Billie Jean is the perfect pop song. I think it's revolutionary having Eddie van Halen playing a solo on Beat It. Eddie van Halen was a metal God at that time (ie white) and MJ was doing pop and dance music (ie black). There weren't many artists who collaborated like that, so in a way it was revolutionary.

The story when Quincy Jones called up Eddie van Halen says it all. Quincy: "Hi Eddie? This is Quincy Jones and I want you to do a solo for Michael Jackson's new song". Eddie: "Fuck Off" and hangs up the phone.

After Thriller though, MJ never reached those heights again.

Has he Gone Too Soon? I don't think so. He would not have done anything noteworthy anyway and the longer he went on the more people remember him for the wrong things.

The King of Pop is dead. Long live the King of Pop.
"What the f*** did I do?"

Originally member #225
anakzaman...

PreviousNext

Return to Chat