ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

Who was your favorite James Bond?

Talk about things which don't fit elsewhere

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

Your favorite Bond actor?

Sean Connery
36%
George Lazenby
No votes
Roger Moore
29%
Timothy Dalton
14%
Pierce Brosnan
14%
Daniel Craig
7%

Total votes : 14

Re: Who was your favorite James Bond?

Postby Lawrence on Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:55 pm

The crying Bond scene at the end of the movie didn't do his reputation any favors.
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby andrew. on Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:26 pm

Sean Connery was the original (in terms of the more famos series of films but, as we all know, David Niven was the very first James Bond and Woody Allen was the 2nd :p ) and the best James Bond.

Having read the Ian Flaming novels, I feel that Sean Connery is the closet to the person Fleming describes - a bachelor who enjoys the finer things in life. Daniel Craig is also a good fit but the rest just come accross as a bunch of wisecracking tally-ho old bean types.
andrew.

Postby SophieB on Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:30 am

Early Sean all the way. He had that suave prick mixed with brutality thing which i see as the key elements of Bond down to a fine art. Whenever they tried to make Moore look tough it just came off all wrong, like that awful scene in the The Man With The Golden Gun where he smacks Maud Adams around to get info from her. Especially icky when we learn she's an abused woman who is desperate enough to have Bond save her. With Connery it felt more part of the whole character.

Dalton and Brosman I think suffered from just being in too many films I didn't care for, although Goldeneye still rocks. Craig's pretty cool. Lazenby was weird and would have made a good spy as he was so unbelievably uncharismatic for a technically good looking guy. Good spy but very bad Bond.
"...and for once I'm inclined to believe that Withnail is right. We are indeed drifting into the arena of the unwell, making an enemy of our own future."
SophieB

Postby Jean-Pierre on Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:48 pm

Roger Moore is my man. No other 007 had his class, always casual but elegant both in his attitude and outfits.
Go Perez!
Jean-Pierre

Postby SophieB on Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:44 am

Moore was indeed casual and elegant, but was he Bond? He always seems such a genuine gentleman that I wish the films had played to those strengths rather than trying to retain the brutal thug side of Bond. Still, his Bond does have the very best moments not only in the franchise, but in the entirety of cinema itself, the astonishing BASE jump that kicks off The Spy Who Loved Me.

As fondly recalled by Alan Partridge, of course...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czWLEbNwjCI

GLANG! Glang-a-langa-langa-langa-langa-lang...
"...and for once I'm inclined to believe that Withnail is right. We are indeed drifting into the arena of the unwell, making an enemy of our own future."
SophieB

Postby Paul on Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:53 pm

"Moore was indeed casual and elegant, but was he Bond? "

According to Fleming, he was 8)

---
Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
- Mark Twain .

---
Paul

Postby SophieB on Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:00 am

:) Touché!

Although the question of who Fleming wanted for Bond is a pretty intriguing one. I attach this blog post, therefore, not in any childish sense of 'nu-UH, he didn't want Roger' but because it's an interesting and enjoyable read.

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2 ... ames-bond/

Either way, shame Ian Fleming never actually got to see Moore play the role. By the time 'Live and Let Die' came out, he'd been dead some years.
SophieB

Postby f1datavis on Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:41 am

Paul wrote:"Moore was indeed casual and elegant, but was he Bond? "

According to Fleming, he was 8)

Really? Didn't know that. Interesting that I disagree so strongly! Just proves that books are cool.
f1datavis

Postby Paul on Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:02 pm

I heard that ages ago, as a comment made by someone who knew Fleming, but it could still be bogus
Apparently he wanted Bond to be a bit of a cheeky, charming, playboy type, and not as vicious as some portrayals

---
Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
- Mark Twain .

---
Paul

Previous

Return to Chat