ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

Should Lance Armstrong have been stripped of his 7 titles?

Talk about things which don't fit elsewhere

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

Re: Should Lance Armstrong have been stripped of his 7 title

Postby Jean-Pierre on Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:24 pm

Ciro Pabón wrote:
Lawrence wrote:Jean Pierre...welcome to the forum and thanks for livening up this thread.

What bothers me is the selective morality at play here....where one person is selected for punishment (because he was the most successful) and the rest of them are politely ignored (dozens of them?). You kind of have to punish them all...or.....let them all slide and do better as a governing body in the future. The whole thing is kind of a farce.

Well, perhaps the "it-wasn't-me, it-was-a-child-that-looked-exactly-like-me-but-he's-already-gone" defense did not work?

Seriously, this is an American invention: you pardon others if they testify against the "cappo di tutti capi". People has complained about this system since Elliot Ness and his partners invented it.

Armstrong refused to negotiate or to accuse others, so he'll rot in jail (or its sporting equivalent: life banning).

In the same way you could ask why the people that testified against Sam Giancanna (famous mafioso) were incorporated into a witness protection program and claim that it was a "vengeance" of FBI on Mafia "because many others rob and Giancanna was singled out because he was the most famous".

Armstrong coerced systematically other people: he's not an asshole but a criminal.

He deserves what he got and only the valiant prosecution of a fistful of officials finally illuminated this "sport".

Moreover, even after patent and blatant feet dragging of evidently complicit European "authorities", many others in his same circumstances (denial, denial, denial and enraged counter accusations, fueled and promoted by the status they got from their criminal activities) are being brought to justice: Ferrari and Eufemiano Fuentes are in the pipeline. Luis García del Moral y José "Pepe" Martí are banned for life. Scarponi and Valverde are banned, as well as Iván Basso and Jan Ulrich admited recently (last year) that he doped.

After Fuentes was not found guilty in 2006 (because then in Spain doping was not a crime!) and after Armstrong was found guilty, Spanish authorities have reopened the case. Let's wait to see what happens.

Fuentes arriving to the audience in January 2013

The defendants are Fuentes, Manolo Saiz, ex-director of teams ONCE and Liberty, José Ignacio Labarta and Vicente Belda, ex-directors of Kelme and Yolanda Fuentes, sister of Emiliano. Witnesses that have accepted they doped and who had got some sort of immunity on their declarations (but are banned now) are the following cyclists: Alberto Contador, Jesús Manzano (who was the first to denounce doping), Darío Gadeo, Jorg Jaksche, Ivan Basso (already banned), Marcos Serrano, Pedro Díaz Lobato (while an active cyclist denounced doping), Ángel Vicioso, Isidro Nozal, Joseba Beloki and Michele Scarponi (already banned). Those "dozens" are already punished in the same way Armstrong was: by banning them from the sport. Fuentes also claims he will defend himself by testifying about OTHER SPORTS where athletes bought his "services", including football (well, soccer for some of you) and track and field.

As if these after shocks weren't enough, many people, whose lives Armstrong ruined, are now rehabilitated (not enough and late, but something is something).

Again, I can say I'm sorry for people like these "scum of sports".

I can understand a boxer drugging himself in desperation for money and under duress.

What is very hard to understand is the same boxer practically forcing others in his team (if boxers had a team) to follow suit, expelling from the sport other clean boxers that accused him by using his illicitly earned money and a huge team of lawyers, extorting others to keep them silent, bribing authorities with his earnings and showing lack of repentance bordering lunacy when under clear proof of his crimes.

The frost of this cake is his repeated allegations of being clean and, what really repulses me, vanity beyond comprehension always implying he was a perfect human being.

For all that it's hard to understand why some people fail to understand that he's a disgusting person and that he deserved what he got.

Sow thunder and reap thunderstorms, they say in Spain.

They were all criminals, but LH was also an a** h***, while being one of the greatest athletes who ever lived, a little bit like Shumacher in F1, who cheated and played with the life of other drivers with his many extremely dangerous unsportsmanlike manoeuvres, but always denied doing any wrong.
Go Perez!
Jean-Pierre

Postby Paul on Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:57 pm

Jean-Pierre wrote:
They were all criminals, but LH was also an a** h***, while being one of the greatest athletes who ever lived, a little bit like Shumacher in F1, who cheated and played with the life of other drivers with his many extremely dangerous unsportsmanlike manoeuvres, but always denied doing any wrong.

WOW.. Someone who agrees with me bout Schumacher at last :hihi:

---
Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
- Mark Twain .

---
Paul

Postby Jean-Pierre on Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:28 pm

Paul wrote:
Jean-Pierre wrote:

WOW.. Someone who agrees with me bout Schumacher at last :hihi:

I'm glad we do agree, because I know my opinion is not shared by many on the Cheater.

:beer:
Go Perez!
Jean-Pierre

Postby Paul on Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:01 pm

I even had huge arguements about the way Rubins was treated( and Massa) with people who refused to believe that they were only there to help Schumacher.
Damon, Jacques , JPM, DC, and many others would be happy to tell the truth as to how he had no thought whatsoever for the safety of other drivers, and have done so.

OK is a bit off topic, but a cheat is a cheat, although I consider Lance to be a very much lesser one

---
- Mark Twain .

---
Paul

Postby Jean-Pierre on Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:12 pm

yes he was a lesser one since all the top 20 guys is his 7 TDF wins were doped as well. Nevertheless, if you have the chance to read "The secret race", you’ll find that Lance was a traitor to a number of friends and deserves his faith.
Go Perez!
Jean-Pierre

Postby Paul on Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:22 pm

Oh I'm sure he did crap on a few people, which immediatly gives the impression that he's not the big hero he was cracked up to be.
Still the whole debacle was a shame , especially for the sport

---
- Mark Twain .

---
Paul

Previous

Return to Chat