ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

Driving Infractions

Talk about things which don't fit elsewhere

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

Driving Infractions

Postby Mafia on Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:05 pm

Lets see, How many of you have been booked by the police for driving offenses? and how many times?

I have been booked twice for minor offenses, once for parking and the other time i had no idea that the lane was one way only =D

What about you?
Tough Luck!
Mafia

Re: Driving Infractions

Postby Lawrence on Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:18 pm

Lost count....around 30.
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby f1datavis on Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:49 pm

Technically, never actually booked. Once had an accident, did a "driver improvement course" (a horrible two days surrounded by nutjobs and drunk drivers) and was giving a "warning".

The course instructors were actually pretty good and basically gave advanced driving courses to those with the know-how. Vanishing point theory, safe driving lines etc. Still use a lot of it.
f1datavis

Postby Mafia on Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:10 pm

I had an accident too (Darn Honda). Decided to live on a hill house with about 700 meter twisty and winding road, which all sound treat in summers, off course i forgot that it snows like anything in winters in pakistan and oh well...... got a broken leg and some other serious injuries, Killed a dog though. :hihi:

Funny, all two times i was booked, it absolutely feels like not my fault at all :hit:
Tough Luck!
Mafia

Postby Funkmother on Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:12 am

Yeah, a number of times but I try not to make a habit out of it these days. Camera detected infringements make for pretty uninteresting tickets. Back in my DJing days I got booked in my 800cc Suzuki van. I had 4 people on board and the back stacked with my DJ gear. I got out of the car and the lady told me what speed I was doing; 78 in a 60 zone I think. I looked at the van, then at her, back at the van and at her again. I said, "You don't honestly think this thing can go that fast do you?" She said, "You can look at the meter if you like." I told her not to bother.

For the record, the manual for the 1980, 4 speed, 4 cylinder, 800cc, Suzuki Carry van tells you that maximum speed in 4th gear is 70 km/h (about 40mph). I had extractors fitted to mine. I think I did over 110km/h on one occasion, not that I think the extractors should've contributed to its top speed. Still, I think it almost left reality behind that day.

It was funnier when a cop tried to book me after I'd just had extractors fitted to my Ford. I was just enjoying the sound of it accelerating away from the lights and probably got over 70km/h in 2nd gear in a 60 zone before I glanced up and saw the copper in my rear view mirror. I just lifted and it decelerated pretty quickly in 2nd. The copper put on his lights and I pulled over. He tried to tell me that I was speeding and for some reason I just denied it. Eventually he said something like, "Look, I got a one tenth check on you at 75km/h" and I said, "No, I don't think so." He just glared at me for a second and said, "Well be more careful next time" and walked away. I guess that's one to me.
The metaphorical inuendo flows like chalk.
Funkmother

Postby Guy with a Beer on Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:15 am

Booked 7 times in 3 countries...

5 times in Melbourne for stupid little indiscretion's like 2 or 3 km/h over the speed limit.
1 time in Honolulu when trying to find out how quick I could get a Corvette to 100mph from standstill on a freeway.
1 time in Goteborg for doing 10 or so km/h over the limit.
Last edited by Guy with a Beer on Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Guy with a Beer

Location: Melbourne, Sydney, Gold Coast, Cairns, Honolulu, Tokyo, Osaka, or Flight Level 390

Postby Paul on Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:12 pm

Sounds like the Melbourne cops are right wankers :banghead:

---
Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
- Mark Twain .

---
Paul

Postby f1datavis on Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:19 pm

I was once in Melbourne walking on the pavement when a bicycle cop pulled over one, two, three cyclists all at once for going down a one way street the wrong way. The street was closed to vehicle traffic, so perfectly safe. Booked them all. Was a bit shocked to be honest.
f1datavis

Postby Mafia on Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:23 pm

Thats why you dont see much Ausi drivers in F1, coz they are all in jail :hihi:
Tough Luck!
Mafia

Postby Paul on Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:13 pm

:hihi:

---
Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
- Mark Twain .

---
Paul

Postby Crossa on Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:15 am

I've had that happen to me once.. the citation was "Not keeping to the right as much as possible with a vehicle other than a motor vehicle on a road other than a highway". It was the best the copper could do, since I as going against traffic on a bicycle lane... 20 old-fashioned guilders it cost me, on Feb 14th, and it was the only bleeding valentine's day card I got that year.
Crossa

Postby Guy with a Beer on Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:46 am

My father once received a $20 fine for an "obscure registration label". Cop must have had awesome eyesight though, because he was able to spot this on a car dong 170km/h in a 110 zone at 1am in the morning whilst sitting on the side of the road. But I guess this was a good cop, because that is the only fine he gave him.. lol

Otherwise all the Victorian cops are pricks.... It's all about raising a few bucks for the government here... Stick cameras everywhere and a 2km/h tolerance and watch the cash roll in. (fine is $160ish for 2 - 14km/h over)
Guy with a Beer

Location: Melbourne, Sydney, Gold Coast, Cairns, Honolulu, Tokyo, Osaka, or Flight Level 390

Postby IanK on Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:37 pm

Guy with a Beer wrote:Otherwise all the Victorian cops are pricks.... It's all about raising a few bucks for the government here... Stick cameras everywhere and a 2km/h tolerance and watch the cash roll in. (fine is $160ish for 2 - 14km/h over)

$160 for 2 klicks over? Jesus Christ, that's harsh. If you convert that to mph that's like giving someone a ticket for going 56 in a 55... and in the US at least it's not uncommon for speedometers to be off by about 2mph.
f1datavis wrote:Alonso looking god-like right now.
IanK

Postby f1datavis on Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:51 pm

Yeah - in the UK the rule of thumb for cops and cameras is 10% over the limit plus 2mph, I think.
f1datavis

Postby Mafia on Mon May 05, 2014 2:10 am

I have never seen anyone driving on speed limit. I once tried that in a Malibu last year, Got honked by a beaten up chevrolet cavalier.!

Darkest day of my life
Tough Luck!
Mafia

Next

Return to Chat