ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

Rush (Hunt & Lauda)

Talk about things which don't fit elsewhere

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

Rush (Hunt & Lauda)

Postby Warweezil on Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:07 pm

Saw this last Friday night. Enjoyed it... A LOT.

I'd recommend it to others, if only for the nostalgia element. It was nice to revisit an era when drivers had some personality
Original Member no 137
The voices in my head may not be real..... but they have some damned good ideas
On Post.... Out there..... Up Close & Personal
Warweezil

Re: Rush (Hunt & Lauda)

Postby Mafia on Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:47 pm

Heyy Warweezil. Long time mate?

yea we still dont have it here... so waiting for this one
Tough Luck!
Mafia

Postby Warweezil on Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:48 am

Having a quiet season - family and other issues have ensured that my spot on the bank has been unfilled, add to that the new circuit planned for the valleys will surely suck the sport away from being reachable for me, so my mo'sport future is looking bleak. In Wales it seems everything has to be near Cardiff, which of course sucks for most of the population given our lousy roads, The lack of public transport outside of the 3 cities in Wales and the UK's daylight robbery style travel costs. Add to that Dorna selling out Moto GP to BT sport and you can see that for many like me, there is no future in following "wheeled sport". But I digress...

The film was very enjoyable, even Lee who was fairly unfamiliar with that period of the sport enjoyed it, The Hunt/Lauda thing isn't as well known as the Black weekend at San Marino, and now he has seen this interpretation of it he understands how "Chalk and Cheese" they were, although the movie suggests that one reason for Laudas' superhuman recovery was laying in a hospital bed watching Hunt picking up championship points.

For me the film was very enjoyable and I will be pre-ordering the DVD when it is released here soon.
Original Member no 137
Warweezil

Postby Lawrence on Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:23 pm

Comes out the 27th of September in the U.S. How come you guys get it sooner. Isn't Ron Howard American?
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby f1datavis on Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:02 am

Lawrence wrote:Comes out the 27th of September in the U.S. How come you guys get it sooner. Isn't Ron Howard American?

More F1 fans? Premier was in London, easier for F1 community to get to.
f1datavis

Postby Lyria on Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:00 am

I will be watching this once it comes to dvd I suspect. Saying that it could take a while, I still haven't seen Senna yet :shy: I am getting it for Christmas though I believe so I'll watch it after that. :sun:
Lyria

Postby f1datavis on Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:59 pm

Senna is amazing. Don't just see it as an F1 thing, it sits way above and beyond that.

I got within 5 seconds of the end before breaking down with tears... The Prost subtitle at the end.

Also seriously got me into Brazilian music. The soundtrack alone...
f1datavis

Postby Lyria on Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:51 am

I don't generally cry at films that most people cry at, I know this one is a big deal though for many reasons. When I've watched it I'll let you know if I cried or not ;)
Lyria

Postby f1datavis on Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:51 pm

Lyria wrote:I don't generally cry at films that most people cry at, I know this one is a big deal though for many reasons. When I've watched it I'll let you know if I cried or not ;)

I don't generally cry. But it is a bit emotional.
f1datavis

Postby Warweezil on Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:59 pm

Senna put a lump in my throat, but I also enjoyed reliving the era as I did with Rush.
Original Member no 137
Warweezil

Postby Lawrence on Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:03 am

Yea, I have not seen the Senna film yet. Part of the reason is that Senna was always very much of an anti-hero to me, the guy who set the standard for bad behavior in F1.
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Warweezil on Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:31 am

Lawrence wrote:Yea, I have not seen the Senna film yet. Part of the reason is that Senna was always very much of an anti-hero to me, the guy who set the standard for bad behavior in F1.
I saw it for several reasons, 1 was to see how they handled some of the issues of the day, but of course the portrayal of that black weekend starting with Reubens big off on the Friday affected me more than I expected, at the time I found the whole thing shocking at a level I hadn't felt since the geath of Jochen Rindt (during my childhood), I was surprised that the sport still affected me that deeply now I was as an adult.

Rush was enjoyable both in terms of historic familiarity for a guy of my age - the teams, cars and drivers names, and in terms of the story of 2 guys who it seems just plain couldn't get along. I still cant decide if there is a commentator that keeps popping up in it that vocally seems to sound a lot like Murray - maybe that was coincidence.
Original Member no 137
Warweezil

Postby f1datavis on Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:00 am

Lawrence wrote:Yea, I have not seen the Senna film yet. Part of the reason is that Senna was always very much of an anti-hero to me, the guy who set the standard for bad behavior in F1.

I can empathise a lot with the anti-hero view, and indeed to a large extent I share it. After viewing the film, I still partly think that; but I will admit to a bit more ambivalence with regards Senna. However, don't let that stop you from watching or enjoying the film. It is hard to see the motivation and thought processes of individuals from behind the catch fence or the TV screen and what goes on when the motorhome door shuts. While I think there are others that a documentary could be made about, there is no argument that Senna's story is compelling.

The central plot to the film is of course the Senna-Prost relationship and the 1988/89 drivers championships, but it goes so much deeper into just why Senna is/was not just idolised by many F1 fans, but also why he was a messianic figure for Brazilians in general and gave me knowledge of him that you just don't get anywhere else. It is of course ultimately a story about him, and Prost figures in it from that perspective. However Prost is not demonised or criticised - it is sport after all, but instead there is the context of these two guys going at it.

The end, his death, the funeral, the impact it has, the reconciliation between the two men and then (for me at least) the revelation that Prost is and continues to be one of the trustees of the Senna Foundation is just so emotional and profound.

We ascribe so many negative emotions to sport, sporting rivalry and the actions of famous and powerful people; the cynicism of the age, the assumption of conspiracy, of power grabs and corruption - this film is largely an antidote to all of that. If you have a spare two hours, I would heartily recommend it, if only to provide another viewpoint.

While I am sure will enjoy Rush (not seen it yet), I am of the age where James Hunt was the brilliant commentator - he had finished racing by the time I was born. Senna (love or loath) covers the period of my childhood, when I grew up in the sport.
f1datavis

Postby Lyria on Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:19 pm

f1datavis wrote:

I can empathise a lot with the anti-hero view, and indeed to a large extent I share it. After viewing the film, I still partly think that; but I will admit to a bit more ambivalence with regards Senna. However, don't let that stop you from watching or enjoying the film. It is hard to see the motivation and thought processes of individuals from behind the catch fence or the TV screen and what goes on when the motorhome door shuts. While I think there are others that a documentary could be made about, there is no argument that Senna's story is compelling.

The central plot to the film is of course the Senna-Prost relationship and the 1988/89 drivers championships, but it goes so much deeper into just why Senna is/was not just idolised by many F1 fans, but also why he was a messianic figure for Brazilians in general and gave me knowledge of him that you just don't get anywhere else. It is of course ultimately a story about him, and Prost figures in it from that perspective. However Prost is not demonised or criticised - it is sport after all, but instead there is the context of these two guys going at it.

The end, his death, the funeral, the impact it has, the reconciliation between the two men and then (for me at least) the revelation that Prost is and continues to be one of the trustees of the Senna Foundation is just so emotional and profound.

We ascribe so many negative emotions to sport, sporting rivalry and the actions of famous and powerful people; the cynicism of the age, the assumption of conspiracy, of power grabs and corruption - this film is largely an antidote to all of that. If you have a spare two hours, I would heartily recommend it, if only to provide another viewpoint.

While I am sure will enjoy Rush (not seen it yet), I am of the age where James Hunt was the brilliant commentator - he had finished racing by the time I was born. Senna (love or loath) covers the period of my childhood, when I grew up in the sport.

Yeah thanks for that F1datavis, cheers for making me feel old. I do recall James Hunt racing still but I wasn't really following F1 then. I am looking forward to that film as well, but as I say it will have to wait until it comes out on dvd. I also do recall him more as a commentator as well of course, it was hard not to remember him once you'd heard him and Murray together.

I am looking forward to Senna, but there is an inevitability about it, I mean we all know how it's going to end and having actually watched that race I'm wasn't sure I could go back and watch it again. Then I realised that is only a small part of the film, there's plenty to watch and remember other than that. I was never a Senna fan, in fact when he drove into Prost on purpose I thought he was a bit of an idiot. Yet then I read about Gerhard Berger and the pranks those two got up to and I realised there was a lot more to the guy than I'd first thought. So yeah, I am looking forward to watching it.
Lyria

Postby Lawrence on Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:05 pm

Warweezil wrote:I saw it for several reasons, 1 was to see how they handled some of the issues of the day, but of course the portrayal of that black weekend starting with Reubens big off on the Friday affected me more than I expected, at the time I found the whole thing shocking at a level I hadn't felt since the geath of Jochen Rindt (during my childhood), I was surprised that the sport still affected me that deeply now I was as an adult.

Yea, it hit us hard. A group of us used to get together every race weekend to watch the races. We pretty much stopped for the rest of the year. Took the joy out of it.
Lawrence

Next

Return to Chat