ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

Rush (Hunt & Lauda)

Talk about things which don't fit elsewhere

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

Re: Rush (Hunt & Lauda)

Postby Lawrence on Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:11 pm

f1datavis wrote:If you have a spare two hours, I would heartily recommend it, if only to provide another viewpoint.

I'll get to it at some point. I had already seriously been following the sport for a while when Senna came along. He was a new breed of driver, the cold ruthlessness and single-mindedness stood out in stark contrast to the other drivers of the period. Now it appears that it has become the standard.

Rush is from a very different era. Hopefully the film does it justice.

I do have the sense that drivers used to be more interesting multi-dimensional personalities with lots of outside interests, often highly educated and sometimes real characters. My sense is that the current generation are mostly just driving machines, not particularly interesting as people. I think that generational shift has taken something away from F1.
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Guy with a Beer on Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:35 pm

I was wondering if Rush was worth seeing or not. Hollywood usually screw up motorsport movies. so looks like I might use a eay off next week to see it.

as for Senna, I picked this up on bluray last year. I enjoyed it a lot. This era is when my love for the sport was formed. Growing up I was always a Prost fan and Senna was the evil enemy. I remember when he died. It was one of the few races I was able to watch live (usualky my parents sent me to bed.) It left me questioning if motor racing was what I wanted to do. It was about this time I turned my attention to the skies instead. I did eventually return to the motorsport dream but by this time I could only race gokarts as time and money allowed between flying lessons.
Guy with a Beer

Location: Melbourne, Sydney, Gold Coast, Cairns, Honolulu, Tokyo, Osaka, or Flight Level 390

Postby Paul on Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:36 pm

The BBC are running a seried of Cocos on the lauda hunt thing, one of which Iwatched last night.
Seems they were actauly bloody good mate off track

---
Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
- Mark Twain .

---
Paul

Postby Lyria on Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:04 pm

Just seen Alastair Caldwell (McLaren team manager at the time) and James Hunt's son on the Alan Titchmarsh show talking about this film. Alastair said he was angry the first time he watched it because of how historically inaccurate it is. Apparently Ron Howard then pointed out it was a film and not a documentary. They make Lauda and Hunt appear as if they hated one another, well they did on track but according to Alastair they were great friends off the track. So maybe we all need to bear that in mind if/when we watch it.

Just thought I'd mention that. So don't watch that film and expect that is exactly how it happened, because it's not according to someone who was actually there.
Lyria

Postby Lawrence on Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:10 pm

That is a shame. The fact that they were such different personalities, good friends and very much rivals I think is a major part of the story. The real world is more complex and interesting than most fiction.
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Warweezil on Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:16 am

What I took from this was that it marked passing of the old school drivers, Lauda being portrayed as a "technical" man while Hunt was shown to be more a "drive the ass off of the thing" old school kind of guy.

The truth as ever is lost in the mists of time, but the illustration of the way the sport changed, was valuable especially to those who missed the old generations' hey day. There are the stories of the guys who partied into the night then clambered into the cars the next morning to race... fact or fiction? we will never know the extent of the accuracy of that one.

I have had great respect for Lauda given his amazing fightback after being roasted in a burning car, but I could never take to the man if you see what I mean.
Original Member no 137
The voices in my head may not be real..... but they have some damned good ideas
On Post.... Out there..... Up Close & Personal
Warweezil

Postby frog on Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:54 pm

Warweezil wrote:What I took from this was that it marked passing of the old school drivers, Lauda being portrayed as a "technical" man while Hunt was shown to be more a "drive the ass off of the thing" old school kind of guy.

The truth as ever is lost in the mists of time, but the illustration of the way the sport changed, was valuable especially to those who missed the old generations' hey day. There are the stories of the guys who partied into the night then clambered into the cars the next morning to race... fact or fiction? we will never know the extent of the accuracy of that one.

I have had great respect for Lauda given his amazing fightback after being roasted in a burning car, but I could never take to the man if you see what I mean.

IC your points.
In anywys, I was amazed thsat the guys spoke just like them, I mean as long as I could make good association from what was shown on TV about how James spoke.
frog

Postby frog on Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:54 am

I kind of recall reading that Ron Dennis (?) prohibited Hunt his Sex adventure a night before the race day. True? :noway:
frog

Postby Lyria on Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:22 pm

I have finally watched Rush and I thoroughly enjoyed it. My daughter watched it with me, she has no interest in F1 really but she does like Chris Hemsworth and that was good enough to make her watch it ;)

I wasn't really watching F1 back then, but I knew bits and pieces of what happened of course. Very enjoyable film and I know it wasn't 100% accurate, but it made for good viewing I have to say. Some bits were less nice of course but all part of the action and it shows you what drivers can and will put themselves through at times.

I was never that keen on Lauda and this film did nothing to make me warm to him, however after what he went through you have to respect the guy in some ways. I can't say I was a fan of Hunt either if I'm honest.
Lyria

Postby Lawrence on Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:37 pm

Lyria wrote:I was never that keen on Lauda and this film did nothing to make me warm to him, however after what he went through you have to respect the guy in some ways. I can't say I was a fan of Hunt either if I'm honest.

They were both flawed characters.

Decent film though. I think they did get the essence of both drivers, although it did not really give a good idea of why they do what that they do.
Lawrence

Postby snowman on Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:55 am

Whaaat? why do you think they did what they do? Because they WANTED TO! :hihi:

I'm pretty sure the film illustrated this when they included the conversation between Niki and old man Lauda.
Great film in my opinion. Best film I witnessed this year and that includes what will come. Those two hours passed and felt like 20 minutes and when I watched it again so a mate could see it those two hours passed equally fast.

Hotdamn that was good stuff if you ask me and I'm very pleased they made it because I am too young to have experienced this when it happened but after watching this I must say I consider Lauda to be one of my favorite drivers. Topped only by Finns and of course Ayrton. Sorry Bosslady, no JV on that list though. :hihi:

frog wrote:I kind of recall reading that Ron Dennis (?) prohibited Hunt his Sex adventure a night before the race day. True? :noway:

This is common practice not only in Formula 1 but also other sports like boxing and football.
"What you believe to be true is false.
What you thought right, wrong."

- Shagrath (Stian Thoresen)
snowman

Previous

Return to Chat