ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

Grandprix.com = Gpguide.com?

Talk about things which don't fit elsewhere

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

Grandprix.com = Gpguide.com?

Postby Balue on Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:17 pm

Anybody know the deal with Gpguide.com mirroring Grandprix.com's stories?
Balue

Re: Grandprix.com = Gpguide.com?

Postby Lawrence on Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:46 am

It appears that the stories are the same, same headlines and in the reverse order. Interesting.

This site I gather is owned by Mark Karp, a New Jersey based IT guy who used to work for Pacific Racing back in 1990s. It was originally set up over a decade ago as a joint reporting effort by him and Joe Saward. A few years back, Joe Saward left this site and started up his own blog. The reporting disappeared and it looked for a while like this site was going to die. Then mysteriously, a couple of years ago the stories and coverage suddenly got very complete. Right now, this is one of the best F1 news sites out there.

Therefore, either the two sites are pulling thier stories from a common source, one site is buying their stories from the other site, or one someone is "borrowing" from the other site. I don't know. I have never talked to Mark Karp and he is notorious for not answering emails, etc. I suspect that is because he has a real full-time job in addition to maintaining this site.

As the forum, we sort of feel a little like a rump operation, in that we (the moderators) have little to no commo with the site management. We run and maintain ourselves and the site and the forum have almost no intersection.
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Lyria on Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:09 pm

Wow, the news stories are identical. Good find Balue, interesting, very interesting :beer:

What Lawrence says is true and it's such a shame, I know when I was a mod I felt cut loose and left to deal with things we really couldn't deal with given the mods don't have access to the servers and so on. There are ways around some things of course but it's far from ideal.
Lyria

Postby Sakae on Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:59 pm

Didn't you guys had exchange just not too long ago (moderators) about declining front page, being just copies of some else's report, rather than original article? I could be wrong and I am lazy to do the search to find those posts, but there was a brief critical comment made on this forum about low quality articles, after Saward left. I am aware of it and remember that exchange only because subsequently I stopped reading Home page. I do visit Autosport almost every day, but refusing to pay there for something which is basically available somewhere on the internet free; one just has to do the search. Moreover, I am also not crazy about their writing style.
Whatever you do, don’t just do it. Push it forward! [Whitelines]
Sakae

Postby Lawrence on Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:12 pm

Yea, the site definitely went into decline after Joe Saward left. I would not be surprised if I was the source of those comments. I thought it was pretty much dead for a while, and was using other sites as my primary news source, and then suddenly a couple of years ago, this picked back up considerably. I think I commented on it at the time.

So, my suspicion is that both sites are drawing from a common news source, as I have suspected www.planetf1.com does also. Might be a subscription service. What makes it obvious is that apparently both grandprix.com and this Swiss site just cut and paste the stories directly from that service, whereas I think other sites rewrite them a little to put their own stamp on it.

Anyhow, I have noticed for a while a certain sameness of the stories from site to site.....and now I suspect I know why.
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Sakae on Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:30 pm

I checked later on Home page headline content, and with all due respect to all who are putting effort into this, and whilst I was lazy to perform side by side in depth comparison, just from brief scan, I must be seeing double, because at least one, if not more sites seems to be carrying the same articles. I guess it's expensive to travel with the show, have pay-pass to paddock, and stay buddies with all PR people at the same time, all the time.
Sakae

Postby Lawrence on Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:31 pm

Sakae, found my comment on the subject back in June 2010. It is in the "About the forum" section in the thread on Joe Saward.
Lawrence

Postby Sakae on Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:54 pm

Eh thanks, that's fine; I just noticed positive tone today, and then something back of my mind remained me of the old comments, but it is really not so important. Didn't mean to use your time on it.
Sakae

Postby Balue on Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:32 pm

I see most articles are referring to middle European or even Brazilian magazine sources or similar so if the 2 sites are not connected there must as pointed out be a service collecting those and selling them on and they just print them as is.

What I like about the stories is that unlike most they are usually different to what the English press are running.

Interesting that Saward was creating content here before, and about absent and disinterested site owners, this is strangely something I've come across many times before (on non-F1 related sites).
Balue

Postby Lawrence on Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:05 am

Well, whatever the news service is, it is a good one. Do miss Joe Saward.
Lawrence

Postby Lyria on Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:09 pm

It is a good news service, they seem to pick up most of the good stories that's for sure.
Lyria

Postby Lawrence on Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:34 pm

GPGuide is postings its stories ahead of grandprix.com
Lawrence

Return to Chat