ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

Weird English expressions

Talk about things which don't fit elsewhere

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

Weird English expressions

Postby Balue on Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:07 pm

I used to think James Allen had a weird habit of describing time in hundreds and thousands of seconds when he was commentating F1, but now I hear Crofty doing the same.

For example: "six one hundreds of a second" (6 1/100 of 1 sec)

Eh?

What else could the number describe than single parts? 6 dozen hundreds? Come on.. :roll:

And why is it different when speaking about tenths? Why not just say six hundreds as you do with tenths?

It baffles me. Anyone know why the English language is so cumbersome here?
Balue

Re: Weird English expressions

Postby Lawrence on Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:20 am

It don't make no difference.
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Lyria on Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:03 pm

Yes James Allen has a lot of quirks and so does the English language, that is what makes us so special and gives us our charm.

That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!! ;)
Lyria

Postby Sakae on Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:12 pm

Weird to say - "it's pretty good weather" out there! Well, weather is what it is, isn't that so?
Whatever you do, don’t just do it. Push it forward! [Whitelines]
Sakae

Postby Paul on Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:52 pm

Those expressions are simply due to a lack of education 8)

---
Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
- Mark Twain .

---
Paul

Postby Lawrence on Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:46 pm

Hey, the double negative has a long tradition in English, dating back to old and middle English. It survives in Cockney and Southern American English.
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Sakae on Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:00 pm

Possibly, but then, I ask, what is good (linguistic) education? If educated use of a language, such as English, means speaker's or writer competence in adherence with a nationally accepted standard, then we have already encountered problem, as there are too many of those, and not everyone will readily agree that "Queen's English" is the (only) way to go, yet we all might consent, that muddled thought which is sloppily expressed is not really acceptable either.
Whatever you do, don’t just do it. Push it forward! [Whitelines]
Sakae

Postby Lawrence on Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:53 pm

We don't have a Queen. Our spelling and some of our word usage is different.
Lawrence

Postby Paul on Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:49 pm

American English is not unlike some of the weird dialects/slang spoken within this land.
The only problem I have with it , is that they ( you) consider it correct, and declare it so , despite the fact that is it absurdly wrong, even in its basics.
I remember the word 'difference' becoming a contention here, when people started saying 'Different To' instead of the correct 'Different From'. However 'Different Than' ? What the fek is that :noway:
As my old Dad would say . " You differ from something , not To it , or god forbid Than it"
Don't get me started on completely incorrect phonetic spelling conversions, due to nothing more than a complete lacking in knowledge of the English Language. :p

---
Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
- Mark Twain .

---
Paul

Postby Lawrence on Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:50 pm

Paul wrote:American English is not unlike some of the weird dialects/slang spoken within this land.

Well, they weren't always weird...200+ years ago they were just regional dialects in England. America picked up elements from some of those dialects because we were settled more heavily from some areas of Engand compared to others. Probably the most noticible difference is the broad A, which I gather has now almost completely disappeared from England.

The only problem I have with it , is that they ( you) consider it correct, and declare it so , despite the fact that is it absurdly wrong, even in its basics.

Well, English English is just fine for the English. But to say that it is "correct English" is to simply ignor how languages develop, mutate and change over time. American English is certianly as correct, and probably more closely related to Shakespeare's English than what is spoken in London.
Lawrence

Postby Lawrence on Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:15 am

This is worth listening too in its entirety: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPlpphT7n9s
Lawrence

Postby Lyria on Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:16 pm

Lawrence wrote:
Well, English English is just fine for the English. But to say that it is "correct English" is to simply ignor how languages develop, mutate and change over time. American English is certianly as correct, and probably more closely related to Shakespeare's English than what is spoken in London.

Ahh we've had this discussion before ;) as I said then English is by it's very name our language, so what we say is correct and what anyone else says... isn't :hihi: :hihi:

Oh and these days the majority of people in London aren't English anymore sadly, they're people who have moved here and use English as their second language. 'For sure' they often get it wrong too! :reallyevil:
Lyria

Postby Lawrence on Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:39 pm

Lyria wrote:...English is by it's very name our language

Ours too. We all spoke the same 400 years ago. There has been a little divergence since then.

We are the largest native English language speaking group in the world. But I have no doubt that between Microsoft, Hollywood, rock-and-roll, and rap, you will all start speaking more and more like us.
Lawrence

Postby Lyria on Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:22 pm

Lawrence wrote: But I have no doubt that between Microsoft, Hollywood, rock-and-roll, and rap, you will all start speaking more and more like us.

Ain't that the truth? :rant: Sadly that is already happening, our words and terms are being replaced by yours and it's wrong, there seems no easy way of stopping it though.
Lyria

Postby Lawrence on Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:49 pm

Lyria wrote:Ain't that the truth? :rant: Sadly that is already happening, our words and terms are being replaced by yours and it's wrong, there seems no easy way of stopping it though.

Nope...cultural imperialism.
Lawrence

Next

Return to Chat