ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

Weird English expressions

Talk about things which don't fit elsewhere

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

Re: Weird English expressions

Postby Paul on Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:23 pm

Everyone should speak the Queens English , the way I was educated to . No more ignorant americanisms ( small "a" intentional) such as putting "ness" on the end of words, simply because they are so ignorant ( uneducated) that " ity" seems too bloody difficult for them. What's the matter with saying "ridicule" and not " ridiculousness" ?
I even heard some idiot saying " Matureness" recently because the ignoramus has no idea that the word " Maturity" existed. That was relatively minor, compared with so many other infringements , such as missing out the "U" in Colour, Neighbour, and such junk , in many other words, and expressions. The historical make up of a word, is very important, but apparently not so to colonials who think that it's " their way of the highway"
The misfortune of such so called evolution is that it totally devalues where the words came from, or derived from.
Have fun with your phonetics, and also have fun with the slang Spanish, which seems to be infiltrating my beloved USA.
Done :p

---
Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
- Mark Twain .

---
Paul

Postby Lawrence on Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:10 am

Now you are just trying to bait me. ;) Won't work...we didn't beat you in two wars because we are easily duped.
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Lyria on Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:08 pm

Lawrence wrote:Now you are just trying to bait me. ;) Won't work...we didn't beat you in two wars because we are easily duped.

Hold on, you beat us in two wars? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Correct me if I'm wrong, (and obviously I'm not) but weren't we on the same side in the world wars? Even if you turned up late, both times :p :reallyevil:
Lyria

Postby Lawrence on Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:04 pm

Lyria wrote:Hold on, you beat us in two wars? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

That we did...although a lot of people call the War of 1812 a draw.

Correct me if I'm wrong, (and obviously I'm not) but weren't we on the same side in the world wars? Even if you turned up late, both times :p :reallyevil:

Yes we were...and good allies at that. We didn't show up late...they weren't our wars initially. You guys declared war against Germany when they invaded Belgium/Poland and we initially had nothing to do with the squabbling little cesspool of violence that was Europe. We did finally join WWI of our own volition (after the Germans managed to tick us off...something they were particularly good at) and Germany actually declared war on us the day after Pearl Harbor.

Been allied with you guys ever since.....even if you don't recognize the obvious improvements we have made to the English language (especially the spelling...why the hell do you spell center "centre"?)
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Paul on Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:23 pm

"why the hell do you spell center "centre"?"
Back to derivitives. Centre is derived from the French much like Theatre. I'm surprised you lot didn't change it to "Senter" :p
-

---
- Mark Twain .

---
Paul

Postby Lawrence on Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:35 pm

Paul wrote:Back to derivitives. Centre is derived from the French much like Theatre. I'm surprised you lot didn't change it to "Senter" :p -

Well that would make more sense. Still Noah Webster updated some of spelling to be more phonetic over 180 years ago...and some of you are still grousing about it !!!
Lawrence

Postby Paul on Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:24 pm

Is it my fault that Webster could not spell :p
Maybe he was just appeasing the rest of the prolls, as his namesake so called dictionary also includes a multitude of slang words .

---
- Mark Twain .

---
Paul

Postby Lawrence on Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:09 am

Paul wrote:Is it my fault that Webster could not spell :p

Actually, he was just trying to update and modernize the spelling of the language, probably something that needs to be systematically done.

..as his namesake so called dictionary also includes a multitude of slang words .

Languages are always evolving and changing, new words being added and other words dropping out of use. I don't think freezing a language in place at a point in time does much good (nor is it possible).

Sorry if we cleaned up the spelling a little bit...but we are now the majority speaker.

By the way, is proll a slang word? It seems to be defined differently in Websters than how you just used it.
Lawrence

Postby IanK on Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:34 am

Why do you think we have to speak like y'all do anyway? Didn't we fight and win a war for the right to do our own thing? :p
f1datavis wrote:Alonso looking god-like right now.
IanK

Postby Lawrence on Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:56 am

Ian...weren't you in Colorado the last time you checked in?
Lawrence

Postby IanK on Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:42 pm

Probably. I lived there for like five years before moving to Georgia a few months ago.
f1datavis wrote:Alonso looking god-like right now.
IanK

Postby Lawrence on Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:55 am

IanK wrote:Probably. I lived there for like five years before moving to Georgia a few months ago.

Well, thats a big move. Hope it all works out well for you and yours. I lived in Georgia back in the days of Lester Madddox.
Lawrence

Postby f1datavis on Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:16 am

IanK wrote:Why do you think we have to speak like y'all do anyway? Didn't we fight and win a war for the right to do our own thing? :p

Quite right too. English is so successful because a number of very big/influential countries have their own versions, cross pollinating the 'language' with phrases from each other. America, England, Ireland, Scotland, Australia, South Africa and not forgetting India as well.

Pip pip.
f1datavis

Postby Lawrence on Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:27 pm

f1datavis wrote:Quite right too. English is so successful because a number of very big/influential countries have their own versions, cross pollinating the 'language' with phrases from each other. America, England, Ireland, Scotland, Australia, South Africa and not forgetting India as well.

Pip pip.

Poor Canadians, they never get any respect. I think they are the third largest group of native English speakers.
Lawrence

Postby f1datavis on Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:26 pm

Lawrence wrote:
f1datavis wrote:Quite right too. English is so successful because a number of very big/influential countries have their own versions, cross pollinating the 'language' with phrases from each other. America, England, Ireland, Scotland, Australia, South Africa and not forgetting India as well.

Pip pip.

Poor Canadians, they never get any respect. I think they are the third largest group of native English speakers.

Oops. Sorry Canada. You are quite right.
f1datavis

PreviousNext

Return to Chat