ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

Google search not so good anymore?

Talk about things which don't fit elsewhere

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

Google search not so good anymore?

Postby Balue on Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:19 pm

It was one thing when it turned out Google read my emails + collected my search data and gave a spy agency the data, but lately I just don't find the search good anymore.

Not that I ever was a good searcher, but latey I seem to struggle to find the answer I'm looking for, and recently the top hits I get are some twitter, facebook and other obscure links which produces nothing of value.

So now after years of Google, I'm trying Bing which despite being Microsoft are eager to tell me they take my privacy seriously which is welcome in this day and age. So far the results seem good but not as good as Google before.

What do you use?
Balue

Re: Google search not so good anymore?

Postby Lawrence on Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:22 am

I've always used yahoo, it just sounds better to "google" something up.
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Lyria on Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:04 pm

I have google on my firefox homepage, so I use it without thinking I suppose. Maybe I should try one of the others. I always think when you say you've googled someone it sounds slightly dirty :reallyevil:
Lyria

Postby Guy with a Beer on Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:58 pm

Or stalkerish.

Have the same problems with Google these days too.

I used to use Yahoo, but stopped that when they started cluttering up their homepage with random crap. I just want a simple search box.
Guy with a Beer

Location: Melbourne, Sydney, Gold Coast, Cairns, Honolulu, Tokyo, Osaka, or Flight Level 390

Postby Sakae on Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:07 am

It's not only Google these day, when rather than just content, products were turned into advertising carriers, and consequently functionality declined, including that of Google. Balue's initial observation can be applied elsewhere in cyber space, as privacy and functionality is taking beating, big time. (Where is Balue anyway)?

I purchased a new notebook recently, and experience with setting my workflow and suitable software is just horrid. We want to know your age, height, weight, birthday, where you work, whom you visit, what you write in your emails, what do you read, what are your bank accounts, etc. There is no end to it.

For example somewhat late to the party, only recently I have decided from necessity to setup a Dropbox account (cyber space external drive facilitating data storage and exchange), to synch my software on IPad with Mac and iPhone. All went fine and dandy early on, until demand popped up on my screen, that while at my desk at home, in order to be able synch my own two or three devices, a foreign entity, Dropbox - entity whose aims I know nothing about - must have access to my notebook camera. Needless to say, I am living today without Dropbox. What I fear however is, should this trend continue, and an invitation converts from an option to mandate. Perhaps I can live with my pen and paper in a cave just as well once again.
Whatever you do, don’t just do it. Push it forward! [Whitelines]
Sakae

Postby Lyria on Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:44 am

You're quite right Sakae, these places do want way too much information these days. I won't give it either!! I don't need their services that badly thanks.
Lyria

Postby Sakae on Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:24 pm

I've started with Google, went to something else based on recommendation, then tried Chrome, and now I am back to Safari/Google duo. This year is my first year on the Mac, and I was really pleasantly surprised by stability of Safari. It's perhaps better than IE; at least I like it, and for my needs its fine. I do not wish to take a cheap shot at Bing, but my preference is with Google, even as whole system is getting of course. When they were just a search engine it was perfect, but now they are trying too many things, and search is not anymore in depth as in the past and here and then one can see the same links on many pages repeated, so it looks like a lot of choices, yet in reality it isn't.
Whatever you do, don’t just do it. Push it forward! [Whitelines]
Sakae

Return to Chat