ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

Did you know..?

Talk about things which don't fit elsewhere

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

Did you know..?

Postby Sakae on Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:22 pm

Did you know that:

1. Norway belongs to top three most coffee consuming countries?
2. Global average per person is 1.3 [kg] of coffee per person per year. Norwegians consume ten kilos of coffee in comparison.
3. Norwegians are laying claims to making better espresso than Italians? (Not that Italians take this one laying down, ready to surrender).

I am of course a coffee addict, and my life without a morning brew could take pretty bizarre turn from there on, I imagine. I am hooked on Milano Espresso and Turkish style brewing technique.
Whatever you do, don’t just do it. Push it forward! [Whitelines]
Sakae

Re: Did you know..?

Postby Lawrence on Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:26 am

Sakae wrote:1. Norway belongs to top three most coffee consuming countries?

Who are the other two?
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Sakae on Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:52 am

Lawrence wrote:
Sakae wrote:1. Norway belongs to top three most coffee consuming countries?

Who are the other two?

Wiki lists Finland, and Iceland. Northern regions seems to lead. German source of that article clarifies, that in Norway it initially started when coffee was selected (mandated?) as a substitute drink in lieu of alcohol. Norwegians were allegedly heavy... but that's another story.

BTW, Italy is 12th with coffee consumption of 5.9 [kg/year/person].
Sakae

Postby Lawrence on Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:21 pm

OK, found the list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_coffee_consumption_per_capita

Definately above the average for my country. Not surpisingly, consumption appears to be related to latitude. For example U.S. is 4.2 while Canada is 6.5 kg per year.
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Lyria on Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:43 pm

Wow, the UK is a long way down on that list, even then someone has to be drinking my share as I'm not allowed caffeine, so I don't drink 'proper' coffee :roll:

I drink Camp coffee, it's made of caffeine free coffee essence and chichory, it's better than nothing, but only just :reallyevil:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_Coffee
Lyria

Postby Sakae on Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:25 pm

Actually despite my initial concerns (nightmare involved percolators and similar devices), I managed to get a very decent cup of a coffee in London. My compliments, although price was out of this world too. (Barista was probably imported :rotflmao: ).
Sakae

Postby Lawrence on Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:25 pm

Lyria wrote:Wow, the UK is a long way down on that list, even then someone has to be drinking my share as I'm not allowed caffeine, so I don't drink 'proper' coffee :roll:

Well, there is also a list of tea consumers in Wikipedia, and you guys are pretty high on that list. You and the Irish are the only European countries in the top ten: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_tea_consumption_per_capita
Lawrence

Postby Sakae on Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:34 pm

Turkey at the top? That I didn't know; I thought coffee would be pretty much a preferred drink. WTH they drink in Japan? All people that I know are coffee addicts, and one would think that the other half drinks green tea, but not so according to wiki.
Sakae

Postby Lawrence on Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:49 pm

Well, one should always check the source of any Wikipedia list. Otherwise, you take your chances.
Lawrence

Postby Sakae on Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:09 am

Lawrence wrote:Well, one should always check the source of any Wikipedia list. Otherwise, you take your chances.

This could turn into not only bad habit, but also embarrassment, as we really should choose sources with proven credibility. (Especially for historical, and social-economical references).
Sakae

Postby Lyria on Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:26 pm

Lawrence wrote:
Lyria wrote:Wow, the UK is a long way down on that list, even then someone has to be drinking my share as I'm not allowed caffeine, so I don't drink 'proper' coffee :roll:

Well, there is also a list of tea consumers in Wikipedia, and you guys are pretty high on that list. You and the Irish are the only European countries in the top ten: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_tea_consumption_per_capita

Someone is drinking my share of tea as well, we buy decaff tea bags but I still only have one cup per day.
Lyria

Postby Lawrence on Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:20 pm

Is there a list of beer consumption on Wiki?
Lawrence

Postby Sakae on Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:38 pm

Lawrence wrote:Is there a list of beer consumption on Wiki?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... per_capita
Sakae

Postby Lawrence on Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:42 pm

I am surprised to see the U.S. ahead of the UK on that list.
Lawrence

Return to Chat