ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

Best 2015 F1 race to attend?

Talk about things which don't fit elsewhere

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

Best 2015 F1 race to attend?

Postby Kwheel320 on Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:43 am

If you could only attend one 2015 race this year, which race would be the best to attend? I'm a new fan of F1 and hope to attend one of the circuits this year and hope someone can help me in selecting a good choice of circuit from a fan's viewpoint.

Many thanks and Happy Holidays.
Kwheel320

Re: Best 2015 F1 race to attend?

Postby Lawrence on Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:02 am

What country do you live in?

I like to drive to my F1 races, keeps the cost down.
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Kwheel320 on Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:14 am

USA, so travel expense is a given. That is why I will only make one circuit during a season. I also don't want to only limit myself to circuit of Americas or Canada due to shorter travel.
Kwheel320

Postby Lyria on Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:37 am

Welcome to the forum Kwheel320 :sun:

Don't forget there is the new race in Mexico in 2015 to consider, Brazil is always a great race I think but the security (or lack of it) there means even if I could go, I doubt I would. I always think Spa is the best track of the season but it's a long way to travel to a race for you isn't it?

Enjoy your time here and happy holidays to you too :moose:
Lyria

Postby Kwheel320 on Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:15 pm

I'm avoiding the thought of distance and expect this to be a special event & trip...a great venue and race will wash away any distance concerns :reallyevil: We've watched some great races; however, we also noticed much of the action was in wooded stretches without stands.

On a related point, for the big splurge, are Paddock Club tickets something to consider?

Thanks for the welcome and look forward to keeping up with the site :beer:
Kwheel320

Postby Lawrence on Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:55 pm

Well, if you are in the U.S, I would recommend the Canadian GP. Montreal is a great town, lots of art and music there and a great ambiance. Not expensive either. I always stay in the French part of the town as it has more character. Great track and the town really gets behind the GP. I have been several times. I have not been to Austin.
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Lyria on Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:14 pm

If distance is no problem you could consider Silverstone, home of motorsport and full of some of the most passionate and knowledgable fans you'll ever meet, so it's been said. A great race at a fantastic track with a lot of history and atmosphere. Oh and no, I'm not on commission for selling tickets :noway: :hihi:

I'm not the person to answer your question on Paddock Club tickets though sadly.
Lyria

Postby Paul on Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:56 pm

The one I would like to go to is the Austin Texas track.
I believe its the best around now, even if its not some kind of classic
-
After the race you can go out and get the best steak on the planet, so no contest in my book :beer:

---
Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
- Mark Twain .

---
Paul

Postby Sakae on Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:18 pm

Kwheel320 wrote:If you could only attend one 2015 race this year, which race would be the best to attend? I'm a new fan of F1 and hope to attend one of the circuits this year and hope someone can help me in selecting a good choice of circuit from a fan's viewpoint.

Many thanks and Happy Holidays.

As a new fan you must go at least once. We have somewhere on the forum buried a list of everything you need to take with you to the track. My search function is not working properly; maybe someone else might have more luck.
Go to the nearest event location where you live, but before you go, I would suggest to watch video of last year race to frame your expectations, and understanding of terminology, and situational analysis.

In terms of my choices, I like racing on Suzuka and Spa tracks. It is little bit difficult to get there and stay dry, but racing is phenomenal.
In terms of ambiance, pre-race activities, and race itself in one bag, this may surprise you, but I would suggest Germany. I heard from quite a few Brits, how pleasantly they were surprised by overall experience (must be beer served at right temperature). Best is not to relay too much on the internet, but just jump into it.

If you are planning to stick with this sport for a while, and you have access to TV, 42" HD in the front of you, iPad with data on the lap, and some chewy thing close by is not too shabby either as a choice.
Whatever you do, don’t just do it. Push it forward! [Whitelines]
Sakae

Postby Lyria on Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:44 pm

Sakae wrote: We have somewhere on the forum buried a list of everything you need to take with you to the track. My search function is not working properly; maybe someone else might have more luck.

I found it for you Sakae :sun:

Sakae wrote:
1. Being at the track (at least once) is a priceless experience (atmosphere and adrenalin is there). You won't get all info in real time because it is limited by a location you sit at.

2. Sitting in the front of 42"HD TV with an iPad Air in hands, loaded with a proper software gives you better and more info.

1. Suntan lotion and sun glasses is must. Do no forget earplugs.
2. If you are on budget, bring a camping bag with some sandwiches with you.
3. Pack a fully charged tablet loaded with F1 mobile software.
4. Some small binoculars.
5. Camera w zoom.
6. Spare batteries.
7. Mobile phone.
8. A hat (or some head gear for cover).
9. Medication (maybe Aspirin).
10. Money - a lots of those.

All but food in a crossbody bag.

Enjoy, and good luck. (If you can, do not use your car. Some people have habit after race to pretend they are F1 race drivers).]
Lyria

Postby Sakae on Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:48 pm

Hey thanks, lady moderator. If I recall, you and I think also someone else had some additional stuff added. List could be ignored, but on the other hand, it is summary experience which is talking through those notes by people who do attend races from time to time, have forgotten a thing or two occasionally, and then returned home burnt, or wet and cold. :)
Whatever you do, don’t just do it. Push it forward! [Whitelines]
Sakae

Postby Kwheel320 on Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:48 pm

Happy New Year and many thanks all for the info. Watched Monaco most years but began following F1 the last 2.5 years. Big screen tv is great for the complete race coverage; but in person cannot be replaced. Wife & I are thinking of hitting a course or two each year now (figure we can watch the recorded race for any missed action).
Thanks again!
Kwheel320

Postby Lyria on Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:31 pm

Well I hope you enjoy whatever races you go to. It's always nice to hear how people have got on at races so do come back and share your experiences with us won't you?
Lyria

Return to Chat