ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

Access to F1 racing

Talk about things which don't fit elsewhere

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

Access to F1 racing

Postby Sakae on Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:16 pm

Depends on our geographical location, we might have varied experience how we view or attend races. This year in continental Europe there has been shift to PayTV, thus all classic habits (large TV, tablet with SoftPauer, notebook with F1 official site - Live Timing screen, and something to chew on) have been either negated or changed one way or another.

In this OP I would like to touch on the seemingly simples of them all - have you subscribed to Premium viewing on your notebook? After perusing a few forums, experiences running from horrid to bad. I found only one poster who was happy with what he got on the Firefox. I might be forced to take a plunge, like it or not, in the absence of better (or even other) solutions, short of walking away from the sport altogether. Question is then - is it worth it, and does anyone knows whether iOS and desktop will be both covered by one fee, or we need to pay twice? I have not been able to get this clarified.
Whatever you do, don’t just do it. Push it forward! [Whitelines]
Sakae

Re: Access to F1 racing

Postby Lyria on Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:21 pm

I've never been able to cope with watching F1 on a computer or anything like that. So basically I am stuck with what the tv shows. I can't afford to pay for Sky just to watch F1, I have to rely on the BBC which means I get half the races live and half as highlights. I hate the highlights races for lots of reasons, mostly having to avoid finding out the result before you ever start watching the race. If the BBC lose the rights in 2018 when the contract comes up for renewal I don't know what I'll do. I suppose I'll be left without F1 :angryfire: :banghead: :argh:

So yeah, as much as I complain about the coverage I get right now, it's better than it could be for me.
Lyria

Postby Sakae on Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:36 am

Problem I am facing this year is not very appealing.

1. Subscribe PayTV at very high cost, without guarantees by the cable operator they will actually broadcast F1 (any, all races), which is unbelievable, but factual.
2. Get on illegal stream (to watch BBC and/or Sky), which I am not going to do.
3. Watch F1 on my notebook or iPad. From reading about these options on some forums, it has one common denominator, which is, there are tonnes of issues, and software is not ready for the season, and it costs EUR27 / season. They are asking for my credit card on unsecured website even for trial run with promise to return money, if requested. (Well, I am supposed to trust them, whoever "them" are).

So, what's left, other than walking away? I have spend my life with F1, and walking away now without alternative is easier to be said than done.
Sakae

Postby Sakae on Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:32 pm

Some people claim (and I simply will have to try it), that those who subscribe to iOS version, will obtain access to desk version as part of the same package. Looks like that will be extend to my viewing experience in 2015. (I have iPad and Mac, so it will work).
Sakae

Postby Lyria on Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:01 am

I think a lot of us are facing the prospect of not being able to watch F1 unless we pay for it one way or another. If you can afford to do so and have a suitable way of viewing then that's good. It does sound like you might get better coverage as well which is nice. That wouldn't be an option for me sadly but I hope it works for you :thumbs:
Lyria

Postby Sakae on Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:37 am

Looks like TV coverage is not (anymore) available to me Lyria, even if I want to pay full price of admission, so all what I have is Live Timing, SoftPauer software in new edition, randomly taken You Tube videos, and internet chatter. A clerk in a cable operators office explained to me in following terms - just because I like F1, it doesn't follow, there is enough viewers to make pay broadcast viable for them in my area, thus sorry, but no TV (with F1 racing).
Sakae

Postby Lyria on Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:51 pm

I'm sorry you don't have tv access anymore. See it's ridiculous, Bernie is making it more and more inpossible for fans to watch F1 one way or the other. It's so expensive tv stations won't show it and those that do charge for it. A lot of people either can't watch it anymore or won't pay to so it's losing millions of fans worldwide, they can't afford to do that. No more than they can afford to keep doing away with the classic circuits like Monza, Bernie says he won't renew their contract when it's up.

F1 is going down the drain in so many different ways and everyone who can do something seem to sitting back and letting Bernie do it!! :rant: :rant:
Lyria

Postby Sakae on Thu May 14, 2015 3:45 pm

A season for me, in visual terms, begins with Monaco race. A new cable TV operator guarantees uninterrupted EU signal for the F1 FPs, Qualification, and a Race. Different stations, but its all there - promised, as long as I pay the extra fee. Mobile app (data) - another fee - on my iPad is working, whereas my notebook version is not, despite that it was first promised to me in an email to have debugged in April 2015, now I have received another advisement in a new email, that (a) they are trying to have it done this year, and (b) if it will work at all, I must remember it is (suddenly) a bonus feature, so they do owe me exactly nothing.

In response, all what I can think of this experience, that some people have strange way of conducting business, but keeping my comment on civil terms, perhaps this should end on that note.
Sakae

Return to Chat