ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

Alleged football financial scandal (soccer in Am. Engl.)

Talk about things which don't fit elsewhere

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

Alleged football financial scandal (soccer in Am. Engl.)

Postby Sakae on Wed May 27, 2015 10:38 am

FIFA officials were indicted by US authorities and will be charged with criminal activities related to soccer. I don't know much about this issue, but I am totally lost that a sport, US citizen couldn't care less about, is being investigated by that country for law related infractions . I also heard because US currency was used in some of this transactions, jurisdiction then is rightly US. That's rather weird, because I thought that it is rather location where crime was committed, which determines who has jurisdiction over matter. Does anyone knows more about this? (Swiss authorities conducting parallel investigation).
Whatever you do, don’t just do it. Push it forward! [Whitelines]
Sakae

Re: Alleged football financial scandal (soccer in Am. Engl.)

Postby Lawrence on Wed May 27, 2015 11:55 am

Actually, it used to regularly be called soccer in England too (who did invent the sport), but they have switched now to mostly calling it football.... not that I follow it. When I was in high school, only the girls PE classes played soccer.
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Lyria on Wed May 27, 2015 12:22 pm

We call it football now Sakae, but yes, technically it is soccer.

I don't know all the ins and out of it, but I do know it's about fraud and corruption. Basically someof those who vote on who gets to host the world cup are said to be corrupt and have been taking bribes. The next two tournaments, (Russia and Qatar) might find they lose the rights to run the championships if (as they're saying might happen) there is another vote taken on it.

I do know it's a big mess and there have been rumblings about this for a long time. Seems they've finally got the evidence to make arrests on this matter.
Lyria

Postby Lawrence on Thu May 28, 2015 12:05 pm

Well, this is big (not that I follow soccer). Perhaps the FBI should investigate FIA and FOM. Wonder what they would find.
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Sakae on Fri May 29, 2015 1:26 pm

Well, wherever big money is involved, diligent dig could almost inevitably discover some shades of grey (so it seems). Americans have plenty to watch over at home. Do you remember Pete Rose? Over the years there is a case after case when people have been caught with their hand in a cookie jar. German law is not finish with F1 (which could explain position on a German race and German drivers), and now it seems that neither is British Inland Revenue office. Plenty snooping around even without FBI being involved (as far as public is aware). I am actually getting tired of that.
Sakae

Postby Lawrence on Fri May 29, 2015 11:15 pm

Well, it started with an American citizen with millions of dollars in unreported income (which it how we got Al Capone in jail)...... and then expanded to several FIFA people using American banks to laundry their money. So yea..... we have every right to investigate this. Of course, it is being done in conjunction with Swiss authorities and they are the ones who are investigating the 2018 and 2022 bids (not the U.S.). So be careful of who's propaganda you are listening to on this. There are a lot of people who have reason to de-rail this investigation (including Putin).
Lawrence

Postby Sakae on Sat May 30, 2015 7:15 am

Regarding investigation of FIFA and your comment - I read something similar last night, that jurisdiction for US authorities was determined on basis (i) US currency in large amounts was used in unlawful transactions, and (ii) deals under investigation were reached on US soil. The propaganda remark in your post is unnecessary, because whilst I lost touch with US networks and broadcasted content, on this side of the pond I haven't come across a single article yet, which would not welcome the clap down on alleged corruption. Everybody is tired of that.
Sakae

Postby Lawrence on Sat May 30, 2015 6:29 pm

Well, I follow the Russian news a lot, and of course, they are claiming "judicial overreach". That was the official statement from the foreign ministry and Putin's comments were even tackier.

But yea, the levels of corruption in these international sporting bodies is way too high. It really needs to be cracked down on. They should simply cancel or move any event that is obtained by bribes. Laws like the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act should be broadly implemented across most counties in Europe.

Anyhow, hope to see all these clowns in jail.
Lawrence

Postby Sakae on Sat May 30, 2015 6:36 pm

I do not really follow Russian life, thus I am unaware of their position on FIFA.
Sakae

Postby Lawrence on Sat May 30, 2015 6:57 pm

Well, as they seem to be busily absorbing their neighbors one province at a time....I do pay pretty close attention to them.
Lawrence

Postby Lawrence on Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:29 am

Like the headline "Blatter relief"

Now, if we could only get Bernie to step down for the sake of the sport.
Lawrence

Postby Lyria on Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:17 pm

Lawrence wrote:Like the headline "Blatter relief"

Now, if we could only get Bernie to step down for the sake of the sport.

Blatter and his I'm staying, I'm still in charge etc. etc. and oh look, he's gone!! :rotflmao: The headlines here were good, 'Sent Off' 'He's Been Blattered' you know the kind of thing. Seems the FBI have got their beedy eye on him personally now too. Serves him right.

I said the same thing, if only the FBI could start looking into Bernie as well now :evil: :reallyevil:
Lyria

Postby Lawrence on Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:43 pm

Lyria wrote:
I said the same thing, if only the FBI could start looking into Bernie as well now :evil: :reallyevil:

Well, we will see if Bernie avoids traveling to the U.S. Blatter avoided it for years, for now very apparent reasons.
Lawrence

Return to Chat