ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

Great Racing Books

Talk about things which don't fit elsewhere

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

Great Racing Books

Postby Lawrence on Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:00 pm

I just finished re-reading Phil Hill: Yankee Champion by William F. Nolan (one of the authors of Logan's Run). I first read it when I was 13. This is the revised edition covering his racing career and life after 1961. It is still a very good book. About a quarter of the book are simply quotes from Phil Hill, a reserved, intelligent man. They are then integrated with narratives of the races and events at the time. It is very nicely done.

Just to give a classic Phil Hill quote about his leaving Ferrari after 1962:

"I wasn't sorry to leave. Enzo Ferrari never understood me. I wasn't his type, not super gung-ho enough to suit him. A lot of fine drivers died racing for him and he always favored the man who would take the extra risk in a live-or-die situation. I won a lot of races for him--which is why he kept me around--but I was never his kind of driver. I wasn't willing to die for Enzo Ferrari. I wasn't willing to become one of his sacrifices."

Anyhow, still probably the best single book on Formula One I have ever read. It nicely encapsulates the period from 1954-1961 when the entire F1 community raced both sports cars and F1 cars, and regularly competed with each other in a number of different series. One poster on this forum once stated he does not know why everyone is so excited over Stirling Moss. Yet, in this book Moss is pretty much leading or in the running in almost every single race discussed, sports cars or F1. He truly dominated the era, even with no F1 championship. He actually has the longest listing in the index.

If anyone has any complaints about the way F1 is currently run, they should read this book for a little perspective.
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Re: Great Racing Books

Postby Paul on Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:55 am

"I wasn't sorry to leave. Enzo Ferrari never understood me. I wasn't his type, not super gung-ho enough to suit him. A lot of fine drivers died racing for him and he always favored the man who would take the extra risk in a live-or-die situation. I won a lot of races for him--which is why he kept me around--but I was never his kind of driver. I wasn't willing to die for Enzo Ferrari. I wasn't willing to become one of his sacrifices."

-
Excellent quote . Also a thought shared by many.

---
Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
- Mark Twain .

---
Paul

Re: Great Racing Books

Postby Mafia on Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:36 am

Guys, have you heard of Racingforme web?
Tough Luck!
Mafia

Return to Chat