ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

Lyria's High Class Establishment (no riff raff allowed)

Talk about things which don't fit elsewhere

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

Re: Lyria's High Class Establishment (no riff raff allowed)

Postby Lawrence on Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:02 pm

Paul wrote:Not much to post since my two favourite drivers are fernando and Jenson :confused:
I suppose having a soft spot for Seb and Nico is helping slightly :indian:

Well, you may have more to cheer about next year...as I suspect the McLarens are not as bad as they look and Ferrari and Mercedes will be closer. I don't think the powers that be can really allow Mercedes to dominate for three seasons in a row (although if they had not withdrawn in 1955...one wonders how many years they would have).
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Mach on Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:18 pm

Hamilton missed Sunday's men's final at Wimbledon Centre Court Royal Box due to refusing to wear proper dress code.

Surely, the invitation said "jacket and tie required" :loser:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/tennis/33501951
:clint:
"We exercised our veto in compliance with our legitimate commercial right to do business as a powertrain manufacturer" Maurizio Arrivabene
Mach

Postby Lawrence on Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:06 am

Well, not the first guy his age to show up for some event not properly dressed.

Any dress code for this high-class establishment?
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Mach on Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:00 am

Lawrence wrote:Well, not the first guy his age to show up for some event not properly dressed.

He kind of did it on purpose for media attention.....it's not like he can't read.
"We exercised our veto in compliance with our legitimate commercial right to do business as a powertrain manufacturer" Maurizio Arrivabene
Mach

Postby Lyria on Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:53 am

Lawrence wrote:Well, not the first guy his age to show up for some event not properly dressed.

No dress code in here as such, just cover up the essentials no one else wants to see ;)

Mach wrote:He kind of did it on purpose for media attention.....it's not like he can't read.

He's stupid if he did. Hollywood actors, even Prince William, they all wore the right things. I suppose he thought it didn't apply to him :roll:
Lyria

Postby Lawrence on Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:29 pm

Lyria wrote:No dress code in here as such, just cover up the essentials no one else wants to see ;)

Naked except for a cod-piece?
Lawrence

Postby Mach on Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:32 pm

Interesting how Lewis says he wants to be like Senna.
Senna was a class act. A tough drive to deal with on track, but very respectful off track......which is what Lewis is not.
I guess Lewis wants to be the F1 bad boy...you know, the tough acting rapper I
Mach

Postby Adam on Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:44 pm

Funny you should mention 1955, Lawrence. I originally came back here not intending to post anything - only to retrieve an article from the history section regarding the Le Mans disaster (http://forum.grandprix.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11063). I've just finished turning it into a poem via "erasure", where large chunks are redacted from the text, leaving only the most significant words and phrases. It's... visceral. But in doing so, I started reading old threads and getting nostalgic for old members, and decided to drop a line.

When was I last here, end of 2013? Well, after a year out of education, working on-and-off in a call centre and then in a bank and then producing feature copy for a radio station's website, I'm now at the dissertation stage of an MLitt degree at Dundee University in Writing Practice and Study; the aforementioned poem will make up part of a ~15,000-word portfolio. It's part creative writing, part literary analysis, and my optional module was in publishing, which in turn has led to being appointed to my current role as general editor of the Dundee Review of the Arts in late 2014. I also undertook an internship with Freight Books earlier this year - getting up at 5am for a train to Glasgow each morning was unpleasant, but the experiences, and the sunrises in the latter weeks, were totally worth it.

Outside education, I'm living in a studio flat in the west end of the city, less than a minute from the legendary Clark's. A 24-hour bakery, with no less than five different varieties of chicken curry pie, it was a lifesaver whilst first moving in, with nothing in the fridge yet and nowhere else open at 1am. I've got back into juggling again, and in recent months have mastered such tricks as the reverse cascade, both left- and right-handed half-showers, and the orangutan (but not the gorilla yet :sinister: ). I was also highly active on the Yes side during the Scottish independence referendum, and I campaign on various lefty liberal causes - animal rights, transgender recognition, anti-austerity etc.

When I was here last I had just broken up with my girlfriend of two-and-a-half years, not terribly long after moving into a one-bed place together with a 12-month rent contract signed. Spending half of 2014 sleeping on a sofa in your own flat is not fun, not least with single-glazed windows and your undergarments stored in removal boxes. I got another girlfriend for nine months, then lost her a week before last Christmas entirely through my own poor decisions. In the months since we've moved closer again and established we still love each other, but there's a lot of difficult baggage to overcome. She's worth it, though, so I am being patient and taking it day by day.

Why did I leave the forum for so long?... partly being tired of F1 and Vettel's dominance, and I fell out of love with Hamilton right before he began his triumphant winning streaks with Merc. I still watch each race, or at least highlights of each, and occasionally post in Facebook F1 groups, but I never felt strongly enough about any of it to take the time to come here. Also, I freaked a little at the realisation I'd been here nearly ten years, and thought I needed a break, though didn't imagine it'd be so long. I may start posting again semi-regularly here, but no promises.

Oh, and my "sissy" "girly" "pathetic" "lethal" "wussy" poetry has now been in three publications, won a national competition, and I was longlisted for a £2500 arts prize from over 800 candidates, so y'all can suck it on that front :reallyevil:
"You can always count on Adam for being the smart-arse around here."
~Dev, 10th August 2010

"...officially the biggest geek on this forum. Congratulations. :clap: "
~snowman, 21st August 2011
Adam

Postby Mach on Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:32 am

Adam wrote:Oh, and my "sissy" "girly" "pathetic" "lethal" "wussy" poetry has now been in three publications, won a national competition, and I was longlisted for a £2500 arts prize from over 800 candidates, so y'all can suck it on that front :reallyevil:

"The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose". - (Act I, Scene III).

The Merchant of Venice - William Shakespeare - The 16th Century
Mach

Postby Lyria on Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:33 pm

Wow Adam, you have been busy in your life lately. Good on you for what you've managed to achieve as well. We're all very proud of you, well I am anyway ;)

Ahh it seems only yesterday you were our youngest board member, a teenager who we helped to raise in our small way! Look at you now, all grown up and doing really well! I hope you do stick around a while and chat with us.

Sorry I haven't replied very quickly, I've been sorting out some new double glazing that we need and apparently our fence is getting wobbly. A builder told me it's only a small job to strengthen it, then quoted me £450!!! I think not. My daughter and I will fix it ourselves, I've bought us some spades and some cement, it'll be fine :roll: :hihi:
Lyria

Postby Lawrence on Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:35 pm

Welcome back Adam. Sounds like you have been getting on with life and are on-track to actually doing something you want to be doing. Good for you. Getting a job you enjoy is hard to do.

Oh, and my "sissy" "girly" "pathetic" "lethal" "wussy" poetry has now been in three publications, won a national competition, and I was longlisted for a £2500 arts prize from over 800 candidates, so y'all can suck it on that front :reallyevil:

So.....you going to compile it all into a book?
Lawrence

Postby Paul on Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:56 am

Nice SPA banner Lyria :beer:

---
Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
- Mark Twain .

---
Paul

Postby Lyria on Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:05 pm

Paul wrote:Nice SPA banner Lyria :beer:

Thanks, I like it. :sun: It's a great angle the picture was taken from I thought.
Lyria

Postby Paul on Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:07 pm

Hehe Image

---
Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
- Mark Twain .

---
Paul

Postby Lyria on Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:51 am

My cousin races his Austin A35 in the Historic Racing Drivers Club. He's been quite successful too, for a privateer he's done really well, gaining a good reputation and winning some trophies along the way. I am proud of him.

On Saturday he was racing at Donington Park, he made a great start in his race, passed three cars on lap one. On lap three, one of the cars he'd passed made a rash move to try and get by him. He flipped his car and it rolled, it landed on its roof. Thankfully he was okay after a thorough check up at the medical centre. The car however, isn't. Right now he's not sure if he can fx it which is really sad as he put not only a lot of money into it to get it where it was, but a hell of a lot of his time as well.

This could be the end of his racing, I hope it's not of course as I'm very proud of him and what he's managed to do. I am really sad for him that this happened :yaynot:
Lyria

PreviousNext

Return to Chat