ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

Gilles Villeneuve

Talk about the glorious history of F1 and other motorsports

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

Re: Gilles Villeneuve

Postby Peter Verveniotis on Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:16 pm

Hi Funkmother according to the Donaldson book Enzo took pleasure watching Gilles thrash his cars but some of the other bosses were not as impressed . If I am not mistaken somewhere in the Donaldson book Enzo called him his "prince of destruction" . Being a proud Canadian (eh !)I have always had an interest in motor sport and F1 ( hardcore ) since I was a kid and when Gilles came along the sport grew even larger in Canada and back in the 70's and early 80's TV coverage was not as available so you had to read the newspapers and maybe it would be aired later in the evening or a week later because motor sport usually took a back seat to the major sports on this side of the pond except to the (howdy doodey go left boys ) Nascar . When a person visits the Montreal track (great location ) there are many shrines dedicated to him . A trully great experience .....Yasou! (Greek for Cheers )
Vertis
Peter Verveniotis

Postby Lyria on Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:20 pm

Anyone who watched Gilles race knows what a rare talent he was. He was one of those men who only come along very rarely and you couldn't help but admire him. I never saw him race when he was alive sadly, I only got in F1 after his death but I have seen him in old footage and admired him. Of course I followed his son Jacques in F1 (and I am still a big fan of his), such a shame Gilles never got to see him win the championship.
Lyria

Postby Paul on Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:51 pm

DixonFan wrote:I'm nearly through his biography by Gerald Donaldson. Most of what I knew of Gilles was some of the legendary stuff, but this book has been a real eye opener, and gave me an appreciation of why he is so highly rated in the history of F1.

One bit that really surprised me was Gilles' heartrate when hooked up to a monitor. I know a bit about heart rates from my running, and knowing that drivers are regularly in around 180-200bpm gives me a slight insight to what they endure. But not Gilles. When he was hooked up in the race he was averaging 127bpm. During a crash in practice he peaked at 168. The only thing that really got him going was a quali lap in the spare car, were he got up to 182bpm.

Absolute legend.

Nuf Sed Image

---
Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
- Mark Twain .

---
Paul

Postby Funkmother on Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:39 am

Peter Verveniotis wrote:Hi Funkmother according to the Donaldson book Enzo took pleasure watching Gilles thrash his cars but some of the other bosses were not as impressed . If I am not mistaken somewhere in the Donaldson book Enzo called him his "prince of destruction" . Being a proud Canadian (eh !)I have always had an interest in motor sport and F1 ( hardcore ) since I was a kid and when Gilles came along the sport grew even larger in Canada and back in the 70's and early 80's TV coverage was not as available so you had to read the newspapers and maybe it would be aired later in the evening or a week later because motor sport usually took a back seat to the major sports on this side of the pond except to the (howdy doodey go left boys ) Nascar . When a person visits the Montreal track (great location ) there are many shrines dedicated to him . A trully great experience .....Yasou! (Greek for Cheers )

Bless you. Oh, Greek? My apologies. :shy:

Prince of Destruction... like that. :hihi: As for proud Canadians (eh!... LOL), I work with a couple of Canadians and my daughter wants to be a Canadian. Something about hockey and Jim Carey.
The metaphorical inuendo flows like chalk.
Funkmother

Postby D-Type on Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:04 pm

British fans might like to know that The Works are currently selling Gilles Villeneuve, A photographic portrait by Quentin Spurring and Nigel Roebuck for £2.99! Not bad when the cover price is £30.00.
Duncan Rollo

Oh Lord, please help me keep my big mouth shut until I know what I am talking about.
D-Type

Postby Sinister on Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:07 pm

I just passed that shop earlier today. :hihi:
The Master Of Mind Games and the undisputed King Of Groaners :clap:

Things can only get worse.
Sinister

Postby Funkmother on Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:37 am

Yeah, did you pick up a copy?
Funkmother

Postby Sinister on Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:39 am

No. I wasn't aware about that book until D-Type mentioned it. Anyhoo I still wouldn't have got it. I don't buy books about F1 drivers even ones about my favourites :hihi:

Besides that shop is always crowded and small. :eerie: :eerie: :eerie:

Sinister

Postby D-Type on Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:38 pm

Sinister wrote:No. I wasn't aware about that book until D-Type mentioned it. Anyhoo I still wouldn't have got it. I don't buy books about F1 drivers even ones about my favourites :hihi:

Besides that shop is always crowded and small. :eerie: :eerie: :eerie:

Oh well, sorry I bothered. Next time I see what looks a good buy I'll keep it to myself.
Duncan Rollo

Oh Lord, please help me keep my big mouth shut until I know what I am talking about.
D-Type

Postby Paul on Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:56 pm

D-Type wrote:British fans might like to know that The Works are currently selling Gilles Villeneuve, A photographic portrait by Quentin Spurring and Nigel Roebuck for £2.99! Not bad when the cover price is £30.00.

Thats a steal D/type, although I only have to assume that 'The Works' is a shop not a website , as I dont know the name.
Will look though

---
- Mark Twain .

---
Paul

Postby Paul on Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:00 am

OK Found their site..
No Matches found :confused:

---
- Mark Twain .

---
Paul

Postby Sinister on Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:24 am

Yes you are right, no matches found. I think D-Type bought the lot. :hihi:

Sinister

Postby D-Type on Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:47 am

On another forum, people are reporting seeing a range of books in the various shops. They appear to all be Haynes titles suggesting they are having a clear out. They include:

The Villeneuve book
Regga [zoni] - Chris Hilton
Chris Hilton's Montoya book
Chasing the Title - Nigel Roebuck
Freddie Dixon, The man with the heart of a lion David Mason
The Science of Safety - David Tremayne
My Life Full of Cars - Paul Frere
Fast Lady - Joy Rainey
Murray Walker, The Very Last Word - Christopher Hilton (Paperback)
F1 season summaries 2006, 2007 and 2008
Haynes "Classic Cutaways"
A Barry Sheene biography
Classic motor sport drives (I don't think this one is a Haynes title)
plus the usual Jenson Button and Lewis Hamilton potboilers

My local shop had about half a dozen of each so I suggest moving fast because "Once they're gone, they're gone".

I doubt that these sort of discounts will feature on their website but it might be worth contacting them if you are interested in buying a few of them. it might also be worth contacting Haynes themselves.
Duncan Rollo

D-Type

Postby Lyria on Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:39 pm

Thanks for the heads up D-Type. Have to say there are no titles there that will have me rushing fo the bookstore but it's good to know all the same.
Lyria

Postby Funkmother on Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:56 am

Sinister wrote:... that shop is always crowded and small. :eerie: :eerie: :eerie:

I know how you feel. I have an aversion to such places.
Funkmother

PreviousNext

Return to The History Section