ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

2011 European Grandprix Weekend

Talk about the glorious history of F1 and other motorsports

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

Re: 2011 European Grandprix Weekend

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:47 am

You will not find a more ardent supporter of street races than el Tifo here. But races like Valencia make it difficult even for me to advocate for them.

The biggest problem, imo, is the point to which FuMo alludes. The track itself is junk. The whole point of a street circuit is that there aren't runoffs, that the walls are always this close to the track, that one tiny mistake will ruin your race. Valencia has more and better runoffs than some permanent purpose-built racing circuits. There can't be but maybe 20% of the lap where you actually get the impression of racing on city streets.
"S**t, p**s, f**k, c**t", c**ksucker, motherf**ker and t*ts" -- George Carlin
tifosi77

Postby Lyria on Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:45 am

Adam wrote:[

+2. Didn't watch the BBC post-race forum either; I took that time to watch the Dutch MotoGP on iPlayer instead - only a marginally more entertaining race. It's also VERY telling that the usually one-hour highlights show on BBC 3 was only 45 minutes long...

Yeah I noticed the highlights show was shorter than average, it's like they knew this was going to be a dull race didn't they? :hihi:
Lyria

Postby Funkmother on Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:03 am

tifosi77 wrote:... races like Valencia make it difficult even for me to advocate for them ...

It sure aint no Gold Coast. ;)
The metaphorical inuendo flows like chalk.
Funkmother

Postby Paolo 2 on Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:53 am

Race review:

boring race! silly location, it's no Montecarlo, if I had a boat I wouldn't go to Valencia only to find a berth next to a motorway, the atmosphere was very sad and there was really no need to waste 3 precious days for that. They should have gone to Paul Ricard for a well deserved testing session. The drivers? they all managed to bring their cars home in a tedious procession. The highlight of the race ( :roll: ) was when they showed from an elicopter Nando chasing Webber at the last corner and it was apparent why Red Bull has a better chassis... and if that was the highlight of the week end you can guess what I think of the rest of the show 8)

Next!
Paolo 2

Postby AP on Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:41 am

tifosi77 wrote:... The track itself is junk. ...

Funkmother wrote:Its a crap location in general. They drive in a concrete canyon between a bunch of warehouses. In one place they cross water and in another shot you can see a beach in the background but that's it. ...

Paolo 2 wrote:Race review:
boring race! silly location, it's no Montecarlo, if I had a boat I wouldn't go to Valencia only to find a berth next to a motorway, the atmosphere was very sad and there was really no need to waste 3 precious days for that. ...

I agree 100%. It's not a nice race to watch. It's all boarded up and boxed in. Somehow I have the feeling that nobody is there to watch. No nice scenery. The shots where you can see people are few and far between. I don't know why that should make a difference but for me it does. Even Bahrain and Dubai look better. Not much to see there either but at least one gets a glimpse outside of the "canyon".
ex ipso et per ipsum et in ipsum omnia
AP

Postby Grozza on Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:23 am

Some nice camera angles, otherwise the dullest race this season by a country mile. And with another comfortable win for Vettel it's become the most non sporting event of 2011.
Grozza

Postby Lyria on Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:04 pm

So that two races in Spain and neither of them are that exciting, so how come they get to keep them both every year? :confused:
Lyria

Postby LadyRacer on Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:30 pm

Lyria wrote:So that two races in Spain and neither of them are that exciting, so how come they get to keep them both every year? :confused:

Maybe something to do with the trillion Spanish Alonso fans that attend? ;)
\0/\0/ All Hail Fernando \0/\0/
LadyRacer

Location: Amongst the Pixies, Middle of Dartmoor, Devon, South West of England

Postby AP on Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:52 pm

LadyRacer wrote:
Lyria wrote:So that two races in Spain and neither of them are that exciting, so how come they get to keep them both every year? :confused:

During the Schumi era there were two races in Germany. Somehow it has to do with the nationality of the current champ when the races are renegotiated.
AP

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:32 pm

Funkmother wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:... races like Valencia make it difficult even for me to advocate for them ...

It sure aint no Gold Coast. ;)

:yay:

Oh wait.....

:yaynot:

:|

:beer:

AP wrote:During the Schumi era there were two races in Germany. Somehow it has to do with the nationality of the current champ when the races are renegotiated.

Schumacher and Alonso were the first World Champs from their respective countries, and their rise to to the top caused an explosion of popularity of F1. Just look at the grandstands in Barcelona for evidence; F1 has been going there since 1991, and the crowds are bigger now than they've ever been - despite the track producing generally snore-worthy events almost every year.
"S**t, p**s, f**k, c**t", c**ksucker, motherf**ker and t*ts" -- George Carlin
tifosi77

Postby Dev on Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:49 pm

Monte Carlo and Singapore are two great street races IMHO. Valencia is utter garbage.

When the Star Sports commentator says after a race like this that 'it was an absolute classic' I honestly feel at that point that occasionally we should be allowed to shoot people without punishment. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: (The commentator in question is Steve Slater BTW).

I don't understand why a country needs two circuits, especially when both are utter borefests for the most parts. Why don't they just race at some other circuit in Spain in the future? Bah.

BTW, a question to those infinitely smarter than me, does the fact that most of the corners in Valencia seem to be blind corners, have anything to do with the processional races there?
Alcohol isn't a problem, it's a solution... Just ask any chemist.
Dev

Postby Lawrence on Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:09 pm

Dev wrote:I'm guessing the race reports/highlights will be quite short. I didn't even watch the post race programme, switched off right after the podium celebrations. zzzzz

I didn't even bother to watch the podium celebrations.

Anyhow, this season is over. About the only interesting thing is watching Webber manage to not get 2nd place with a superior car. How does he manage?
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Sakae on Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:41 pm

Lawrence wrote:
Dev wrote:I'm guessing the race reports/highlights will be quite short. I didn't even watch the post race programme, switched off right after the podium celebrations. zzzzz

I didn't even bother to watch the podium celebrations.

Anyhow, this season is over. About the only interesting thing is watching Webber manage to not get 2nd place with a superior car. How does he manage?
Well then you missed highlight of the race when Placido Domingo (70) run for cover from podium, when corks blew off...
Whatever you do, don’t just do it. Push it forward! [Whitelines]
Sakae

Postby Sinister on Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:33 am

AP wrote:
LadyRacer wrote:

During the Schumi era there were two races in Germany. Somehow it has to do with the nationality of the current champ when the races are renegotiated.

So could this mean that if in the near future there is a Bahraini F1 champion( don't laugh guys, it could happen :hihi: ) , the FIA will threaten us with two races in Bahrain? :banghead: :banghead: :yaynot:
The Master Of Mind Games and the undisputed King Of Groaners :clap:

Things can only get worse.
Sinister

Postby AP on Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:09 am

Sinister wrote:
AP wrote:

So could this mean that if in the near future there is a Bahraini F1 champion( don't laugh guys, it could happen :hihi: ) , the FIA will threaten us with two races in Bahrain? :banghead: :banghead: :yaynot:

The race in Valencia is named the "European GP" as was the one at Nürburgring (Hockenheim was the German GP). It seems the European GP indicates a kind of a "Joker" GP that can be located anywhere in Europe. So we may be spared a second Bahrain GP unless Bernie and Co. come up with a different naming convention.
AP

PreviousNext

Return to The History Section