ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

2011 Japanese Grandprix Weekend

Talk about the glorious history of F1 and other motorsports

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

Re: 2011 Japanese Grandprix Weekend

Postby Dev on Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:53 pm

Silver Fox wrote:I'll stand up for being one of those who - having previously stated that the hamster would rule at Macca - has been pleasantly surprised that Buttplug hasn't in fact been destroyed by the hamster at all...

Likewise. :beer:

Sinister wrote:Am I the only one who thought that Buttplug would not fail at Mclaren?? :moose: The guy has all the good luck following him.

Luck will only take you so far, without talent to accompany it. Look at Halfie. :loser:
Alcohol isn't a problem, it's a solution... Just ask any chemist.
Dev

Postby maister on Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:14 pm

windwaves wrote:I have to disagree with you. My view is, being fast and stupid is not a talent, it's a disgrace. But yes, you are right, many thought LH was the one. Yet, many more today are realizing that he is not. Even Macca announced :"McLaren pledges to 'take care of' Lewis Hamilton" hence acknowledging a serious problem.

And yes, Macca for sure "used" to favour LH BIG TIME (and that is when he showed consistent better performance than JB, but not because LH is better), until they realized he was not going to win them anything. Oooops, change that !

I just suspect that many who think LH has more "talent" just think of those years where he was the clear favorite in the team, hence consistently had the better car ....

I'm not a fan of Lewis, I think he can be a real arrogant prick but in my opinion he is very talented. I think he has that "raw speed" or whatever you want to call that, sadly this year showed that he doesn't have much more than that (at least for now). I also think he's quite bad when under pressure, I think that this year it realy got to him that Vettel was winning all the time and shattering his records in the process. I think that after 2007 and 2008 (with the help of all the media hype) he really believed that he will dominate F1 so what's happening now is very frustrating for him.
maister

Postby maister on Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:56 pm

Sinister wrote:
maister wrote: A lot of people said that Jenson will be "destroyed" by Hamilton .....

Who are these lots of people??? Can you name them? :armchair:

Well, one is Eddie Irvine but he was not the only one:

Button 'will get murdered' by Hamilton in 2010

“Jenson has entered the lion's den,” mused the Irishman – who triumphed in four grands prix himself for Ferrari in 1999 – speaking to ESPN. “It was madness of him to move. He thinks he's going to be able to eat his steak, and that's not going to be the case – I think he's going to get murdered!

“It's the worst decision he could have made. The only reason I can think of is that he didn't want to stay at Brawn with Rosberg, who's not as highly-rated as Lewis but might be just as quick. Jenson may have thought that it's better to get beaten by Lewis than get beaten by Nico.

“Rubens Barrichello is a good little peddler and murdered Jenson in the second half of last season. Michael [Schumacher] never got murdered by anyone. Lewis came into his first year in F1 and beat a double world champion in Fernando Alonso – that's a class act. If you look at Jenson's career, Ralf Schumacher beat him, Giancarlo Fisichella beat him and Rubens beat him. There are too many races where he hasn't performed, to say he's at the level of any of those guys.”

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/155770/1/i ... _2010.html
maister

Postby Silver Fox on Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:52 pm

maister wrote:I'm not a fan of Lewis, I think he can be a real arrogant prick but in my opinion he is very talented. I think he has that "raw speed" or whatever you want to call that, sadly this year showed that he doesn't have much more than that (at least for now). I also think he's quite bad when under pressure, I think that this year it realy got to him that Vettel was winning all the time and shattering his records in the process. I think that after 2007 and 2008 (with the help of all the media hype) he really believed that he will dominate F1 so what's happening now is very frustrating for him.

+1... :clap: :clap: :clap:
Proud sponsor of 'The Team with No Name...'
Silver Fox

Postby grunf77 on Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:55 pm

maister wrote:
Sinister wrote:
maister wrote: A lot of people said that Jenson will be "destroyed" by Hamilton .....

Well, one is Eddie Irvine but he was not the only one:

Button 'will get murdered' by Hamilton in 2010

“Jenson has entered the lion's den,” mused the Irishman – who triumphed in four grands prix himself for Ferrari in 1999 – speaking to ESPN. “It was madness of him to move. He thinks he's going to be able to eat his steak, and that's not going to be the case – I think he's going to get murdered!

“It's the worst decision he could have made. The only reason I can think of is that he didn't want to stay at Brawn with Rosberg, who's not as highly-rated as Lewis but might be just as quick. Jenson may have thought that it's better to get beaten by Lewis than get beaten by Nico.

“Rubens Barrichello is a good little peddler and murdered Jenson in the second half of last season. Michael [Schumacher] never got murdered by anyone. Lewis came into his first year in F1 and beat a double world champion in Fernando Alonso – that's a class act. If you look at Jenson's career, Ralf Schumacher beat him, Giancarlo Fisichella beat him and Rubens beat him. There are too many races where he hasn't performed, to say he's at the level of any of those guys.”

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/155770/1/i ... _2010.html

Till 2010. I thought he was crap, but now he completely changed his tune. Maybe it's Pirellis... :confused:
Listen, it was hard enough to drive those heavy old cars back then under normal circumstances, but with a crazed monkey clawing you at the same time, it becomes nearly impossible! http://www.timflock.com/jocko.htm
grunf77

Postby Dev on Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:40 am

grunf77 wrote:Till 2010. I thought he was crap, but now he completely changed his tune. Maybe it's Pirellis... :confused:

Are you saying he's Mark Webber in reverse? ^o^ ^o^
Dev

Postby Paolo 2 on Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:11 pm

Sinister wrote:Am I the only one who thought that Buttplug would not fail at Mclaren?? :moose: The guy has all the good luck following him.

I agree, he's a nice bloke and a good driver BUT lady luck is certainly on his side... when were the stewards last Sunday looking at their shoes and not at their screens? when Jenson pulled a "Vettel" and blocked the other cars at the restart... :roll: He was at Brawn at the right time, and no, it wasn't "his choice", he didn't have any other choice as no one else wanted him (after a few rather poor seasons). He's been very lucky in the last couple of seasons as well.

Mind you, luck is not enough and he's a solid and consistent driver. Having said that I am lost for words when I see people who think that he's a better driver than Hamilton, maybe he's better at driving a golf cart, certainly not at driving a racing car (and the fact that throughout his earlier career he didn't achive much - by F1 standards - seem to me to compound that view). The fact that Hamilton is having a very difficult time with the team doesn't mean that he can no longer drive, it just means that he hasn't got the peace of mind to do his job properly.
Paolo 2

Postby Paolo 2 on Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:55 pm

Sinister wrote:

here I am, I haven't changed my mind, I still think, no in fact I know it, that Hamilton is in a totally different league from Button, the problem is that Hamilton is having problems at the moment and Button has been making most of those Hamilton's problems.

I think that Button did well for 3 reasons:
1. he's possibly the luckiest driver to hit F1 ever
2. he makes few mistakes (luck is not enough, you have to be able to finish races at a decent pace, and Button can do that)
3. Hamilton is having a very difficult time at McLaren, not just with the car, but with the team
Paolo 2

Postby Dev on Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:09 am

Paolo 2 wrote:the problem is that Hamilton is having problems at the moment

No kidding. ^o^ ^o^ :hihi:
Dev

Previous

Return to The History Section