ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

Remembering Chris Economaki

Talk about the glorious history of F1 and other motorsports

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

Remembering Chris Economaki

Postby punky2 on Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:00 pm

A legend in motorsport announcing, to me he was the voice of the Indy 500.

Chris Economaki, the dean of American motorsports journalism, has passed away. He was 91.

Economaki died early this morning, according to a report in National Speed Sport News, the publication he and his family had owned for many years.

A native of Brooklyn, N.Y., Economaki was involved in every form of motorsports media during his long career: He famously wrote the weekly Editor’s Notebook for NSSN, as well as serving as a track announcer and broadcaster on radio and television.

During his long career, Economaki covered literally every form of motorsports, from Saturday night dirt-track races to the Formula One World Driving Championship
punky2

Re: Remembering Chris Economaki

Postby Lawrence on Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:41 pm

Thanks. I also grew up with him announcing races. 91 years ain't a bad run.
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Re: Remembering Chris Economaki

Postby Sakae on Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:17 am

Yeah, I miss that man for his very measured comments. Once at Indianapolis I was very close to him, but did not get a chance to approach him. At 91 he had very good run. He, Murray W., and couple of others kept my interest in racing alive. Thanks for that.
Whatever you do, don’t just do it. Push it forward! [Whitelines]
Sakae

Return to The History Section