ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

The Truth About Kimi-Ferrari-Santander 2008

Talk about the glorious history of F1 and other motorsports

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

The Truth About Kimi-Ferrari-Santander 2008

Postby DanyalDenyo on Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:33 pm

2008 was the year when Kimi won his second world championship. He breezed through the season scoring podiums and wins in most of the races. He did so with the full support of his team, Ferrari. Listening to his feedback and changing the components that he asked for. And so the legendary Ferrari team could celebrate another back to back drivers championship.

Or that is certainly how it could have been. That was in fact the way it was headed as well. Until money, sponsorship and the desire for a large Spanish corporation to see “their” driver placed in the Maranello based team got in the way.

Full Post.

I think it makes a lot more sense than "Kimi lost motivation" story. What do you guys think?
DanyalDenyo

Re: The Truth About Kimi-Ferrari-Santander 2008

Postby Adam on Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:16 pm

Thoroughly disillusioning if true. We all know money talks, but I never imagined it could talk so loud, or so brazenly.
"You can always count on Adam for being the smart-arse around here."
~Dev, 10th August 2010

"...officially the biggest geek on this forum. Congratulations. :clap: "
~snowman, 21st August 2011
Adam

Postby Ciro Pabón on Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:18 pm

Well, talking about incredibly convoluted theories, there you go. Interesting, Danyal.

The truth is that Räikkönen had a slump in performance.

You can second guess what caused it as much as you want, but to conclude Ferrari signed Räikkönnen knowing in advance that he would be fired, having to pay him a pile of money for finishing the contract makes you think if there is a possibility of the article being written from a Räikkönen groupie.

The fact is that nobody wanted Kimi at that stage of his career. He talked with McLaren and Toyota and received a big no.

You have to wonder why in heaven (talking about money talking loudly) did Räikkönen ask for 50 million (!) when in deals with McLaren and Toyota. Did he want to stay in F1? I think he didn't.

Mark Thompson summarized it well in 2009: "He leaves the sport after nine seasons, with occasional displays of devastating speed and a lucky world championship in 2007, when he exploited the rivalry between McLaren’s Fernando Alonso and Lewis Hamilton and the hubris of the latter to beat both at the 2007 Brazilian Grand Prix, claiming the title which had eluded him at McLaren".

For the love of Pete, Massa won over him that year.

Perhaps some remember the supreme indiference of Kimi at Malaysia, when instead of staying by his car he wandered about the pits... eating ice cream. With Coke. High sugar, perhaps?

Kimi was in the clouds the whole year:

That year (2009) Kimi also managed to curse on live TV and fall from a yatch, if I'm not wrong. Frankly you have to suspect there were reasons for his exit and they were related to Santander, of course, but also to his... erm, customs.

Perhaps it was Santander pushing him? My guess is two liters of Acquavit

This time (2008) Kimi pushes a person: perhaps this guy was paid by Santander? :)

This year (2012) you have to doubt how he's doing.

I swear to drunk I'm not God: Kimi tripping after Hockenheim

Of course that picture is a gift send by Heaven to photoshoppers...

Ciro

GP meliora est
Ciro Pabón

Postby Lawrence on Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:48 pm

Ciro Pabón wrote:For the love of Pete, Massa won over him that year.

There are always a few gems in a Ciro post. _O_

Yea, it was time for Kimi to go...and it is beginning to look like it is time for Kimi to come back.

For the life of me, I don't know how drivers can stay fully motivated, showing up each year, driving the same circuits, against the same guys, doing the same thing year after year after year. I am still not sure that it is old age that slows a driver down. I wonder if they just find they no longer can give 100% like they could when they were 22 years old.

Kimi probably did the right thing to take two years off. He certianly looked like he needed to.
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Return to The History Section